My New 2005 FZ6-S (Aust)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow FZ6 enthusiasts. I have recently purchased a used FZ6-S here in South Oz, after selling my last bike before moving from Rocky.

As I pick up the bike on Tuesday, I read with interest all of the available mods etc. and wish to find out the 'must-dos'.

A bit about myself and the bike. I am 6ft and a healthy (ish) 120kg, and have been riding for 17 or so years. My last bike was a Yamaha ScorpioZ (225), just as a commuter for the 6kms to work, the bike before that was a 2005 Yamaha TDM900 and the one before that was a 2003 TDM850. (I'm seeing a pattern here!)

Anyway, the bike I have just purchased (and pick up on Tuesday) is a 2005 FZ6-S with 22000kms, and looks absolutely pristine.

The previous owner, a retiree, apparently only used this bike as a fair weather tourer on weekends, and all maintenance 'appears' to have been done, with oil changed every 3000kms or so.

Now that you know my life story, please assist me with any recommendations for modifications to the bike.

I am going to do the dual-headlight mod, and install 55W HIDs (you can NEVER have too much light on a bike!) but have seen in two different places that, in addition to the H4, the bike has either an H1 or H7. Can someone please confirm which?

Is there a way to 'remap' the fuel delivery as per 2007 onwards models? (is the claimed 'surging' on earlier models a problem, or did the reviewer have to pick something from an otherwise seemingly great bike?)

Are the fender eliminators legal in SA?

I'm seriously considering the K&N filters, but have seen some recommendations that the stock filters are more than adequate?

I will be travelling 150kms per day, to work and back, on the freeway and town, so mainly 'touring' type riding. The bike currently has Continental tyres, and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good, long wearing tyre that will still give me the ability for some spirited riding should the need arise.

Anyone have any 'real world' fuel economy figures? What should I expect? (I'm hoping for 2x the distance of my car/L, to help justify the bike purchase!)

Sorry about the long post, but I'm trying (as always) to give as much relevant info to glean the most relevant info.

For the other South Australian Fazer riders, is there anywhere you'd recommend for tyres/mod purchases?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

P.S. I'd love to meet up with some fellow FZ6 riders who could perhaps show me some of the better roads in and around Adelaide?

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best little forum on the interwebs Rick , always great to have another Aussie on board :cheer:

For the answer to all your questions I suggest you shoot a PM to Wolfman Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - View Profile: Wolfman , there is no better authority on modding an FZ6 in Australia & probably the universe IMO coz his thing is BEAST :rockon:

Or you could sit tight coz I know he is going to racing in here once he finds out there is a new South Aussie on the boards :D Im sure you have seen his BLACK weapon around town ;)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im sure you have seen his BLACK weapon around town ;)

Thanks for the welcome HD!

Alas, I have not seen 'the black beast', I live out of town and usually am transiting to work when I'm in Adelaide.

Where in Ipswich are you (where did you come from?)

I lived in GlamorganVale, Fernvale, Lowood and did a short stint in Ipswich. (used to drive transport in BrisVegas too!)

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome HD!

Alas, I have not seen 'the black beast', I live out of town and usually am transiting to work when I'm in Adelaide.

Where in Ipswich are you (where did you come from?)

I lived in GlamorganVale, Fernvale, Lowood and did a short stint in Ipswich. (used to drive transport in BrisVegas too!)

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

Live in Raceview but Sydney born & bred , moved up here in 01 :thumbup:

Probably seen you drivin' round Brissy heaps , how long ago did you move away from here ??

Who for & what were you driving ?

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to do the dual-headlight mod, and install 55W HIDs (you can NEVER have too much light on a bike!) but have seen in two different places that, in addition to the H4, the bike has either an H1 or H7. Can someone please confirm which?

Is there a way to 'remap' the fuel delivery as per 2007 onwards models? (is the claimed 'surging' on earlier models a problem, or did the reviewer have to pick something from an otherwise seemingly great bike?)

Are the fender eliminators legal in SA?

I'm seriously considering the K&N filters, but have seen some recommendations that the stock filters are more than adequate?

I will be travelling 150kms per day, to work and back, on the freeway and town, so mainly 'touring' type riding. The bike currently has Continental tyres, and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good, long wearing tyre that will still give me the ability for some spirited riding should the need arise.

Anyone have any 'real world' fuel economy figures? What should I expect? (I'm hoping for 2x the distance of my car/L, to help justify the bike purchase!)

For the other South Australian Fazer riders, is there anywhere you'd recommend for tyres/mod purchases?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

P.S. I'd love to meet up with some fellow FZ6 riders who could perhaps show me some of the better roads in and around Adelaide?

Hi Rick and :welcome:
To answer some of questions.
1:The globes are H4 and H7 .I had HID projectors in my '05 and they where great,sadly that bike no longer exists !

2:A PC3 is what you want for fuel mapping,had one of them too,lol

3: F.E 's ,sadly,are not legal ,but I have one anyway,lol

4:K&N work well and when my stock one is due for replacement I will be getting another K&N.

5:IMHO you cant go past Pilot road 2 or 3 for tyres,great grip and excellent mileage,I get about 16k out of a set.

6: As far as fuel economy,depends how you ride ,but I get 21 kpl :thumbup:

Hope that helps Rick,cheers.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site

4:K&N work well and when my stock one is due for replacement I will be getting another K&N.

5:IMHO you cant go past Pilot road 2 or 3 for tyres,great grip and excellent mileage,I get about 16k out of a set.

Welcome Rick!

Ditto to most of that. I think you'll find (depending on the cop), you won't get pulled over JUST for the Fender Eliminator, but if you're doing other things wrong, then they may add that to the charges.

I'm up to 15K on my Pilot Road 2's and they're still looking like new.....Hmm, maybe I don't ride it hard enough:confused:

I'm on about 20-21 kpl too - 4.8L/100km. Was on about 5.5L when I had different gearing in it, but I went back to stock when the chain/sprockets needed replacing.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Rick and :welcome:
To answer some of questions.
1:The globes are H4 and H7 .I had HID projectors in my '05 and they where great,sadly that bike no longer exists !

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I'm probably thinking 35W H7 and 55W H4, don't know whether I want to go both 55W since you can't dim the H7... (is there heaps of space behind the inner fairing to mount the ballasts? I'm thinking of using a spare dual 55W H4 kit (from a car install) and just putting the H7 lead/bulb on one side)

I've seen Stebel horns too - at 139dB, they should JUST be loud enough! (any idea where I can get one? I can get some on eBay, but if there is somewhere local....)

Where did you get your FE? Again, there are some on eBay, but they range from $30 to $130!

As for the tyres, I would hope to get more than 16000kms! (do you have a recommendation on reseller, with good prices, in Adelaide?)

As for fuel economy, I'll be looking to ride economically (up the SE Freeway!) and currently get 13.74k/l (7.27L/100kms) in my car. (my ScorpioZ got 30kms/L around town and the TDM900 got 24kms/L over the Cardwell range in FNQ!) but I know the FZ6-S is more, ahem, spirited!

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Live in Raceview but Sydney born & bred , moved up here in 01 :thumbup:

Probably seen you drivin' round Brissy heaps , how long ago did you move away from here ??

Who for & what were you driving ?

Before my time Mate, I moved away from that area in 1996. (Was in Townsville in 2001!)

I used to drive a 1 tonne van and off-side for the (ex) father-in-law in BrisVegas and crash as many bikes a possible in the mean time (or so it seems now.....)

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum from San Diego, California! When we say the best forum we mean it! :D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, 300kms in, and I'm really starting to dig this bike!

Quite different to my earlier bikes, it has no torque to speak of down low, needing a few revs off the line, but once it hits 4000rpm, it comes alive!

The guy I bought it off had it set up like a car driver does, you had to lift your foot to put in on the brake, and the gear lever was way too high too.

After a bit of a fiddle, I now have things where I want them, but one thing I'm not super happy about is the off/on throttle surge.

Riding along and then changing up (down, I always blip) from back off, change then accelerate, there is a surge.

Is this why they say the 06 and later needed a remapped fuel delivery?

I am finding I'm tending to grip the throttle over tight, just to try and feed the power on more gently.

Anyone else experience this? Is there something I should be checking? (TPS etc)

Throttle play is about 3mm, and the guy I bought it off is a retiree, so I don't think it was ever ridden in anger (he used it for weekends ONLY, and only if it was dry - and never at night!)

At this stage, I'm off work on Saturday (back early Sunday morn) and if at all possible, would love to chat with another Fizzer rider about this and other stuff! (Welcome me into the fold!)

Cheers,
Rick