n00bZ question

gatch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm gatch. I'm a kiwi living the dream in aussie. Fitter/turner by trade, no kids, have a collection of nerf guns, pretty much a big kid myself etc etc.

SO, just bought a totally stock 07 fz6n. Mainly because it was in the right price range, low k's, comfy riding position, has enough power to have fun but isn't going to flip me over backward when I look at the gas the wrong way.

How do I tell if mine is a standard or an s2 model ? Is there a sticker, or something in the number stamped into the chassis that gives it away ?

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Regarding your questions, sorry I have no idea :( But someone here will! I just wanted to welcome you to the forum! :thumbup:

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
S2 models will be model years 2007-2009. There's no special graphics or anything. The most obvious indicator is the swing arm: if there is an adjustment bolt sticking out the back=s1(?). If it has a more refined looking swing arm with contained adjustment bolt and it DOES NOT have a bolt sticking out the back=s2.

Edit: I was wrong...I guess the 06 has black rims too!

Last edited:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
S2

2007-yamaha-fz6-fazer-s2-1024.jpg

gatch

Reaction score
Visit site
Right on.

Mine has the tensioning bolts sticking through the caps in the end of the swingarm. It also has black wheels. The pulley on the end of the throttle body shaft has only one stop. The throttle turns around a quarter turn.

Maybe it's a 06 but was first registered in 07 ?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome from Melbourne
an S2 has four pot calipers on the front brakes, the S1 has two pot,
the S2 has a digital speedo and analogue tach, I think the s1 has a single cicular style guagetht contains both the spedo and tacho.
If anyone thinks I'm wrong, chime in now, thanks.

thats one of the really nice things on this forum gatch, we will all happily give advice and info and we also dont mind is someone pipes up and says" you got that a bit wrong, this is a bit more accurate",

this is a great place for friendly advice, and we LURVE photos
so post often, ride safe and feel welcome to join in, pleased to have you on board

Last edited:

gatch

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the answers chaps. Jolly good show eh wot.

Being that it's an 06, wikipedia tells me that they are all 72kW ?

I cant wait to start modifying :D

The seat being first..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the rear foot peg assemblie BOLTs ON, its a S2.

The first picture(my 2007, S2) has bolt on rear pegs. (07-09)

The second picture(an 2006, S1) has the pegs welded to the sub-frame (04-06)

Last edited:

gatch

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm living on the northside of Brisbane, in Rothwell. Working in Capalaba though, hence I bought the fz.

In an effort to further the n00bZ theme. I have lost my one and only key. And yes. It is the jesus key. The one coloured red. The one key that rules them all and in the darkness binds them.

After nearly pooing my pants when the local yamaha dealer told me it will be $1100 for a new ecu and that's just the start, I came onto this forum and searched and boom ! An email to motomatrix in England reveals it'll cost $500ish to have the ecu flashed and a new key set made.

Now I've already dealt to the security screws holding the ignition barrel on (die grinder), but I am scratching my head as to how I get the seat off with no key :mad:

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm living on the northside of Brisbane, in Rothwell. Working in Capalaba though, hence I bought the fz.

In an effort to further the n00bZ theme. I have lost my one and only key. And yes. It is the jesus key. The one coloured red. The one key that rules them all and in the darkness binds them.

After nearly pooing my pants when the local yamaha dealer told me it will be $1100 for a new ecu and that's just the start, I came onto this forum and searched and boom ! An email to motomatrix in England reveals it'll cost $500ish to have the ecu flashed and a new key set made.

Now I've already dealt to the security screws holding the ignition barrel on (die grinder), but I am scratching my head as to how I get the seat off with no key :mad:
Were you using the red key to operate the bike? There is a ton of info on lost keys / no red key. Use the google search function as it turns up better results: http://www.600riders.com/forum/sear...m/forum/cmps_index.php&ref=&ss=2267j1231301j8
Neil
ps welcome.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here ya go, from another thread ( http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50068-immobilizer-lost-key-fix.html ) :

Yamaha : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski

If you have aftermarket mufflers(2), you should be able to get up (from underneath) and pop(slide) the release mechanism..

Also, if you remove the seat lock mechanism (drill out/remove the bolts) the cable is ritght there and just needs to be pulled to release the seat.

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W SEAT Diagram

Last edited:

gatch

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I took out the screws that hold the seat lock on. Only for the lock to fall into the under seat tray haha.

With some face pulling and swearing i managed to hook a finger in there and pull the whole lock far enough to pop the catch and presto, seat off. Tanks off as well. Now I just got to get battery out and pull the requisite wires.

Thought I'd lost my ute keys today too. Luckily they were safely in my pocket the whole time :tard:

gatch

Reaction score
Visit site
So, for those of you that are interested, I sent my ecu, ignition and key reader to a company called "ecumeistro". They are based in Melbourne and the chap I have been dealing with is named Dietmar Schulz.

He indicated that it would cost me $320 AuD to have the ecu reset and a full set of keys cut. He reckons a week turn around time. Hopefully I'll see my parts back this friday or the following monday.