need for reset of the ECU when installing a Mivv slip on exhaust

DanishViking

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. I have read several places that when disconnecting the battery will reset the ECU which will provide a "better" adjustment of the fuel/air ratio. however i would like to know if this is true and if the resetting is permanent?
later on i am going to get the powercommander installed on a Dyno. but for now i would like to change the original exhaust to the Mivv slip on exhaust, preferable without the machine running lean and thereby harming the engine. will resetting the ECU help this and give a smoother ride? and thereby not harming the engine when changing the exhaust. Or should i do the powercommander mod when changing the exhaust(then i have to wait a couple of moths because i am broke which sucks since i already have the exhaust )?

Hope i explained my self correctly! I am very new to motorcycle.
I have a yamaha fz6 n from 2008 (no abs)

Regards Philip

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Phil!

Yes, it's true. Unhooking the battery for like, 20 minutes to be safe, will let the capacitors discharge and effectively erase the stored maps on the ECU. That being said, the ECU will relearn correct fueling as you ride it again, but this can sometimes get rid of little inconsistencies or quirks - such as changes in back pressure and lean/rich mixtures due to changing the pipes. It's permanent until you repeat the disconnect - and swapping back to stock exhaust or vice versa would only require that for optimal performance. You could get by never unhooking the battery though, but might notice weird behaviour.

That's all there is to it really. The dyno will certainly help you with a PC3, but you'll need to unhook your O2 sensor (might suggest buying a stainless steel plug off ebay to plug the hole, and removing it all together - lest you risk ruining it by leaving it in the pipe unplugged) on the 2008 (S2) model for any changes to take effect properly. With the O2 sensor, it will override the PC3.

Welcome to the forum, and do stop by once in a while - there's a bunch of great guys and gals here!

Last edited:

DanishViking

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! i will try to disconnect the battery when installing slip on. btw i actually dont think i have the 2008 model, but i was told that when i bought the bike. because it is not a S2 model. i will link a video with a bike similar to mine maybe you guys can tell me if there is a O2 sensor or not. i think its a 2006 model which was first registred in 2008, which is why the seller thought she had a 2008 model :D its similar to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtgQF8ZS-g

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! i will try to disconnect the battery when installing slip on. btw i actually dont think i have the 2008 model, but i was told that when i bought the bike. because it is not a S2 model. i will link a video with a bike similar to mine maybe you guys can tell me if there is a O2 sensor or not. i think its a 2006 model which was first registred in 2008, which is why the seller thought she had a 2008 model :D its similar to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtgQF8ZS-g

If your dash looks like that, you're definitely on an S1 model. No need to worry about the O2 sensor in that case!