New England Meet in VT - Aug 15th, 2009!!!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One way or another, we'll get you through it. :D Be it trading off or pillion, we'll get through the ride.

How many are interested in flat-out riding? How many are interested in photo op stops and how often?

I like a mix of riding and Photo Ops, also it looks like summer is finally showing up, so it might be hot and humid so breaks would probbaly be good for plenty of water intake.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
How many are interested in flat-out riding? How many are interested in photo op stops and how often?

Everything in moderation ... my typical day rides would be 250-300 miles with about 4-5 stops including lunch, fueling, etc.

That said, I'm usually with a smaller group so I get that's maybe (probably?) not often enough for a bigger group so whatever works for everyone works for me.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
So how big of a group is it actually going to be? I'm still hoping and praying to be better in time......still not riding.....two weeks and counting :(

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm up for a fair amount of stops. First, I'll have to gas up before anyone else. Second, not having the Top Saddlery seat any more sucks! ;)

aonello3

Reaction score
Visit site
when you get to ludlow, you can take the 'mountain road' to the top of okemo mountain (ski resort) on your bike (or anyvehicle for that matter), you can see mount washington in NH on a clear day from there. free of charge too. if you have off-road tires you can literally drive ALL THE WAY up to the top, but it's a short 5-10 min walk to the top from where the pavement ends. and if you're not into hiking at all, there's a few 'sight-seeing' stopping points along the road up the mountain too.

and if you need exact directions (once you get to ludlow), take Okemo Mountain Rd. off Route 103 (Main St.), take that up, you'll see a little red shack type bar called 'the loft' (stop in for a good time by the way), stick to the left of this place (at the fork), and about 200 ft. on your right (just past the Okemo Lodge turn-around-circle), you'll see the entrace for the road that goes straight & winding up the mountain.

have fun.

- a

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a call from Simon at the Kitzhof Inn. He has only three bookings from our group and he has 5 rooms left until tomorrow. He said we had first dibs but ONLY until tomorrow. Please call them directly and book a room or get online and book it today if you plan on staying there.

Thanks!

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very interested in doing this trip. However, after 25 years of gainful employment I became unemployed in April, so the finances are really tight. Its at least 3 hours to get to the Kitzhof Inn from my house so I don't think I could avoid staying Fri and Sat at the Inn.

I looked at the Inn and see they have some rooms that have two sets of bunks. If I could share a room with 3 others I think I could handle the cost.

Anyone interested?

Thanks,

John

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
John, sorry to hear about the employment status. I hope that changes soon for you!

Does anyone have space for John or is willing to share costs so he can make this trip?

Tom, glad you are in! :D

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder Eric. I just booked room #9 for the 14th and 15th.

So I heard from the owner that there are 2 groups scheduled for that weekend.. a Yamaha group and a Harley group.. oh boy :) j/k

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm reading the thread backwards as I have not been around for a while.

John, I just booked room #9, which has a queen and a single bed, and I'm on my own. I was quoted $114 + tax for just myself. I can call them back and ask how much it would be for 2. If you are ok to pay for the difference, I have no problem with sharing the room.

Let me know if you're interested.

(Note: you might be woken up late at night on Fri. if I can't take the Fri. afternoon off :))

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To anyone who is calling tonight or tomorrow, be sure to mention Eric or Anthony and the Yamaha group, ok?

Thanks Victor, for popping in with some assistance for John too! Good man!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, now we're talking! I'm glad you guys can make it.

If I would have thought I could have picked up one of those big rooms to split. I do like my privacy though! :)

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm officially out. I could not find anyone to switch my call for Friday night and I will need to sleep at least half the day on Sat. Have fun guys and if you'll do a nice day trip maybe I could join if it is not too far.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here are some obligatory guidelines, disclaimers, etc....

This will be a controlled ride with a leader and sweeper and no hooligans allowed. Breakouts from the pack will be asked to not finish the trip with the group and go their own way.

Typically a ride like this puts the experienced and faster riders in the front with a leader to control the pace and who has radio contact with the sweeper. The less experienced or slower riders are in the back and monitored by the sweeper. Before the ride, a series of hand signals will be communicated. Usually the lead pack might break away a bit from the slower riders but a good leader always checks in with the sweeper and ALWAYS stops at an intersection to wait for the group before making a direction change. At some points, the group can stop and some of the faster and experienced riders may make a couple "spirited" runs through a set of twisties while others may want a break and a stretch.

Myself and any others on this trip are not responsible for your safety. Proper riding technique, spacing in the group and stagger while riding are of the utmost importance. Proceed from stops as if you are alone with regards for your own safety. Never assume it is safe to proceed because the person in front of you has pulled away. When riding in the pack, the travel lane for a car is two lanes for the bikes with proper stagger and spacing. If the rider in front of you is riding the left (toward road center) tire groove, you must remain in the right (shoulder side) tire groove. If they swap because the group ahead has changed, please swap only after checking the proximity of the person immediately behind you. Use one foot or the other to point out road hazards for the rider(s) behind you.

This will be a very large group with some first-time group riders. Please watch out for the bike to the front and rear of you! A group this large can spread out very far. Avoid large gaps in the group, please keep proper spacing without falling behind. Do not play catch-up with hard acceleration, use smooth controlled increases in speed and catch up at a reasonable pace. Watch ahead for hand signals.

A good read for those of you just gaining experience is "The Pace" I HIGHLY recommend this as an almost mandatory read before taking your chances on the street as well as your first few group rides.

Hope we can have a big turnout and a 100% safe ride!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here are some obligatory guidelines, disclaimers, etc....

This will be a controlled ride with a leader and sweeper and no hooligans allowed. Breakouts from the pack will be asked to not finish the trip with the group and go their own way.

Typically a ride like this puts the experienced and faster riders in the front with a leader to control the pace and who has radio contact with the sweeper. The less experienced or slower riders are in the back and monitored by the sweeper. Before the ride, a series of hand signals will be communicated. Usually the lead pack might break away a bit from the slower riders but a good leader always checks in with the sweeper and ALWAYS stops at an intersection to wait for the group before making a direction change. At some points, the group can stop and some of the faster and experienced riders may make a couple "spirited" runs through a set of twisties while others may want a break and a stretch.

Myself and any others on this trip are not responsible for your safety. Proper riding technique, spacing in the group and stagger while riding are of the utmost importance. Proceed from stops as if you are alone with regards for your own safety. Never assume it is safe to proceed because the person in front of you has pulled away. When riding in the pack, the travel lane for a car is two lanes for the bikes with proper stagger and spacing. If the rider in front of you is riding the left (toward road center) tire groove, you must remain in the right (shoulder side) tire groove. If they swap because the group ahead has changed, please swap only after checking the proximity of the person immediately behind you. Use one foot or the other to point out road hazards for the rider(s) behind you.

This will be a very large group with some first-time group riders. Please watch out for the bike to the front and rear of you! A group this large can spread out very far. Avoid large gaps in the group, please keep proper spacing without falling behind. Do not play catch-up with hard acceleration, use smooth controlled increases in speed and catch up at a reasonable pace. Watch ahead for hand signals.

A good read for those of you just gaining experience is "The Pace" I HIGHLY recommend this as an almost mandatory read before taking your chances on the street as well as your first few group rides.

Hope we can have a big turnout and a 100% safe ride!

Does this mean I can't act a fool?:D

Seriously though, ride your own ride and everyone will be just fine.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To everyone paying/quoted more than $57 a night... When I spoke with the woman today she said no matter the room size I would be charged at most the single person rate of $57/night, even though the room has 4 beds (#19). If you want to share this room (for even less per night) call them and let them know. If they can't do it without my permission, let me know and I'll call them and add you.

P.S. don't hate me if I snore a bit...

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got off the phone with them.. They basically explained me what Tom said above :) It doesn't matter which room you are in, they charge on a per person basis.. So to really bring the cost down, sharing a 4 beds room is the way to go.

John, I pm'ed you the price of the room for the 2 of us.. I'm still fine with sharing it if you want to, I just hoped the price difference would be more interesting than that..