New FZ6 - Front fork very bouncy...

gbose

Reaction score
Visit site
So I recently got an FZ6 and love the bike. But the front fork is bouncy, particularly when I use front brakes. Not all that bad when I'm actually riding, but in the parking lot, it feels/looks like a pogo stick. I don't want to do anything as drastic as switching to an R6 fork; does anyone have experience with stiffer springs and/or heavier oil?

GBose

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Change the fork oil to 7.5 minimum to 10 or so. That'll help alot with the bouncing.

You may buy some extra, or use ATF or brake cleaner to flush out the forks as there's probably a bunch of
gray, nasty goo on the bottom. Put the ATF / brake cleaner after dumping the old oil. pump the forks several times,
dump and repeat. Repeat until the fluid comes out clean.

I put 7.5wt in mine with modding the forks ( http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/54803-air-assist-fork-caps.html )

Works 100% better bu I'd probably go with a 10 wt next time..

Fork springs do tend to sag more over time so checking the free length while their out wouldn't hurt.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adding to the above; overfill the forks!
Increasing the fluid volume decreases the air volume. I'd raise the volume 25mm / 1.0in from the stock value.

Im guessing here but stock is roughly the stroke volume or 5.1" on a collapsed springless stanchion tube as measured from the top down. Add oil until its roughly 4.1" from the top. Spec is 134mm / 5.3" ???

Try that. But if your rider sag is past 50mm, you might just opt for fixed rate springs for your rider weight. It will be a huge improvement!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Changing the springs will make a big difference in that dive, but it doesn't fix the inherent problems of the damping rod forks. You can get emulators to put in them as well to fix some of that, but at that point you've dropped $250 on fixing terrible forks and might as well spend a bit more to upgrade to the R6.

I swapped springs and went with a 10 wt oil in mine. Really helps the diving under braking, but it's super rough over bumps and bad pavement.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Changing the springs will make a big difference in that dive, but it doesn't fix the inherent problems of the damping rod forks. You can get emulators to put in them as well to fix some of that, but at that point you've dropped $250 on fixing terrible forks and might as well spend a bit more to upgrade to the R6.

I swapped springs and went with a 10 wt oil in mine. Really helps the diving under braking, but it's super rough over bumps and bad pavement.

Now with my air and 7.5 wt oil, it doesn't dive no where's near stock and with 15 lbs in the forks, its a very comfy ride, bumps and all.
17-18 lbs, its noticeably harder (and a little too hard for me).