New Guy with 09 Raven from Chicago

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Yall, I posted in the general section last week about possibly getting a FZ6, and I ended up picking one up on Saturday with 6400 miles. Being new to bikes, I cant find a scratch on it and it seems to drive well (neutral to 1st almost gives me whip lash and the on/off of the throttle is annoying). The 1st owner put on some red stripes which I was going to take off, but now I am starting to like, did the dual headlight mod, added a lower fairing, new grips, LED tailight, 12V charger, and some new mirrors (which I cant stand right now.

This is my first bike and I'm stoked. I come from a past of racing cars, mostly road and autocross, and it just became to darn expensive and much of a hassle.
I took the MSF course a few weeks back and I was contemplating between the 650R, SV650, and the FZ6. I was about to pull the trigger on the 650R due to its lower end power, drivability, and being more newb freindly. However I figured if I want to eventually bring the bike to the track the FZ6 would be much better. Also the exhaust (even with aftermarket parts) sounds like a toy, IMO. I plan on mainly using the FZ6 for 'fun', a bit of commuting, and hopefully eventually some long trips.

Ive put about 150 miles on the bike thus far and I'm afraid to go over 7k RPMs, it feels like I will be thrown off. Also riding on the freeway in the wind is well above my skill level right now, hopefully I will get use to it quickly.

Anyways I snapped a few pics, along with the oil that I changed which was sitting in the bike for a year, disgusting. Changed it with Mobil 1 1040T and a Mobil filter. Look forward to a long riding career!

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! Seems the previous owner knew what he was doing and took decent care of it.

Also smart to keep her under 8k rpms. The bike really wakes up above that point. Ride safe, practice, and enjoy the new ride!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the club! I see you ride upside down like I do! LOL. Yes your FZ6 is a new motorcycle above 8000 RPM. After a while you will get used to it. Please ride safe and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Yall, I posted in the general section last week about possibly getting a FZ6, and I ended up picking one up on Saturday with 6400 miles. Being new to bikes, I cant find a scratch on it and it seems to drive well (neutral to 1st almost gives me whip lash and the on/off of the throttle is annoying). The 1st owner put on some red stripes which I was going to take off, but now I am starting to like, did the dual headlight mod, added a lower fairing, new grips, LED tailight, 12V charger, and some new mirrors (which I cant stand right now.

This is my first bike and I'm stoked. I come from a past of racing cars, mostly road and autocross, and it just became to darn expensive and much of a hassle.
I took the MSF course a few weeks back and I was contemplating between the 650R, SV650, and the FZ6. I was about to pull the trigger on the 650R due to its lower end power, drivability, and being more newb freindly. However I figured if I want to eventually bring the bike to the track the FZ6 would be much better. Also the exhaust (even with aftermarket parts) sounds like a toy, IMO. I plan on mainly using the FZ6 for 'fun', a bit of commuting, and hopefully eventually some long trips.

Ive put about 150 miles on the bike thus far and I'm afraid to go over 7k RPMs, it feels like I will be thrown off. Also riding on the freeway in the wind is well above my skill level right now, hopefully I will get use to it quickly.

Anyways I snapped a few pics, along with the oil that I changed which was sitting in the bike for a year, disgusting. Changed it with Mobil 1 1040T and a Mobil filter. Look forward to a long riding career!

Did you ask him why he called it a "Special Edition"?

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
PHP:
Did you ask him why he called it a "Special Edition"?

HAHA. When I was buying it and he told me 'price is fair this is a special edition'. I told him that just because you put a red stripe and a carbon fiber tape over the windscreen it doesnt make it special :rolleyes:

The guy was nice and seemed to like the bike, which I hope meant he cared for it as well. He said if he couldnt get what he was asking he would just keep it and ride it with his new Harley.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles did she have on her? The reason I ask, is the old oil is VERY past its prime! (could just be the lighting in the photo, however)

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've put about 700 miles on my fz6 since I got it, and I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm comfortable on the interstate now, but I definitely wasn't at first. I've only been up there in the 8-10k rpm range a few times. I outran my buddy's WRX one of those times, though, and I don't even know what I'm doing. ;)

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: nice bike.. How come you dont like the mirrors.. I think the bike looks nice without the rabbit ears.. lol Fz6 are fun and very much trackable.. :thumbup:

Jon

mannydiller

Reaction score
Visit site
How come you dont like the mirrors.. I think the bike looks nice without the rabbit ears.. lol

^^^bump.

an older post i know, but just wondering the same thing... why do you hate the mirrors? i think they look great and was thinking of doing something similar on my bike.

truckdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of new FZ6 riders here in Chicagoland. I picked my blue '09 with 2000 miles this week. I bought some reflective blue rim tape, I'm thinking it might be a good safety feature. What is everyone's opinion on rim tape? Tacky boy racer add on or something that helps the bike get seen by cage drivers?

The black bike looks great but try to keep the wheels down. I personally think the stock mirrors are one of the best features, finally a bike where you can see what is going on behind you.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of new FZ6 riders here in Chicagoland. I picked my blue '09 with 2000 miles this week. I bought some reflective blue rim tape, I'm thinking it might be a good safety feature. What is everyone's opinion on rim tape? Tacky boy racer add on or something that helps the bike get seen by cage drivers?

The black bike looks great but try to keep the wheels down. I personally think the stock mirrors are one of the best features, finally a bike where you can see what is going on behind you.

I put blue rim tape on mine. I like the reflective feature of it at night, but honestly don't like the look in regular sunlight. ;( just too lazy to take it off.

truckdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks REO, I don't want to hijack Long101's thread but your bike looks ready to go anywhere. I'm going to give the blue tape some thought. Nice saddle.

All these Chicago area Fazer riders, maybe we can do a run sometime.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We really do need to get something going around the area. Still like the idea of a day trip up north.

Let me know of you need more pics and I can PM. Saddle is SHAD. I've got the top sellerie on now. Both are so much better than stock.

Scorpio