New member, old bike...

J

JimP

Just took the MSF course a few weeks ago (first time on a motorcycle of any kind, ever at 50!), bought an 05 FZ7 one week ago, and have ridden it 10-20 miles a days learning what I am doing. I joined up here because it looks like a great resource and community.

Jim

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just took the MSF course a few weeks ago (first time on a motorcycle of any kind, ever at 50!), bought an 05 FZ7 one week ago, and have ridden it 10-20 miles a days learning what I am doing. I joined up here because it looks like a great resource and community.

Jim
Welcome, you have come to the right place. Got my license at 55, my 05 FZ6 a year later, and my MSF RiderCoach certificate 3 years after that. This forum and its fine members have provided me with technical help, good advice and occasionally a good laugh.

The FZ6 is an awsome bike, but a BIG step from the 250cc machines we use on the range, so take it easy on the throttle as you learn. She gets pretty frisky above 7k!

Lastly, this bike will run a long time with just routine maintenance. If you are unsure of her history, make sure you are on fresh oil, coolant and brake fluid, have usable brake pads, and especiay, good tires. And not just tread depth, but tire AGE as well. Look on the sidewall for an oval with 4 numbers in it. That will be the week and year of manufacture.(0516 would be the 5th week of 2016). These are ollder bikes and you never know how long they have been sitting.

Ride safely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Jim. Old bike? My bikes include a 95, 01, 03 and my 05 FZ...this is my newest bike. I'm sure I'll own an '18....in 2025.

Good for you getting your start at the MSF course. Bad habits are hard to break and by getting the right training up front you've taken a great first step.

I got my first bike when I was 10. Now in my mid 50's I have the same passion for riding today as I did almost half a century ago. Enjoy the ride.

J

JimP

Welcome, you have come to the right place. Got my license at 55, my 05 FZ6 a year later, and my MSF RiderCoach certificate 3 years after that. This forum and its fine members have provided me with technical help, good advice and occasionally a good laugh.

The FZ6 is an awsome bike, but a BIG step from the 250cc machines we use on the range, so take it easy on the throttle as you learn. She gets pretty frisky above 7k!

Lastly, this bike will run a long time with just routine maintenance. If you are unsure of her history, make sure you are on fresh oil, coolant and brake fluid, have usable brake pads, and especiay, good tires. And not just tread depth, but tire AGE as well. Look on the sidewall for an oval with 4 numbers in it. That will be the week and year of manufacture.(0516 would be the 5th week of 2016). These are ollder bikes and you never know how long they have been sitting.

Ride safely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks - the front is original. I have one on the way already (Road Pilot 4). Looks perfect though - no dry rot, no signs of age at all. Garage kept must have helped moderate the temps and avoid UV exposure. The rear is from 2011 and about half used I would estimate. I should be able to wear it out before it gets too old.

I am taking it very easy on the throttle until I get used to it and then I will gradually work up the RPMs as I am comfortable with it. The last manual 4 cylinder I drove redlined at 6800 RPM (an Integra, sold at kid #3 for a minivan :-( ), so 7K seems pretty wound up to me :)

I am going to go through the manual and do the 8K service, and check everything else since it has blown way past the months part of the x miles or y months for the service intervals. Supposedly it had a full service 9 months and ~300 miles ago before the prior owner bought it, but you never know.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely, going through the bike is a good thing. As odd as this sounds, there is a bonding process between man and machine that happens when you take the time to ensure all is to your liking.

A couple of thoughts on the power delivery of the FZ. The FZ is no slouch. In round numbers, you've got a 450 pound bike (wet) with 100 Hp. If you weigh around 200 pounds, that's a weight to power ratio of a high performance car - on about 4 square inches of tire contact with the road (a car has about 15 times more contact area). So with that in mind, when you do decide to open the throttle, be sure that:

1. The road ahead is clear with little chance of someone coming from a side road or making a left in front of you
2. Your tires are fully warmed up and that the road is dry
3. You have all of your gear (ATGATT)

The FZ builds revs at a nice pace up to about 7-8,000 rpm, and then Dr. Jekyll becomes Mr. Hyde. I'd suggest a second or third gear roll-on, but know that even in second gear you will be doing close to 100 mph at redline. You will be shocked how fast you can go from 30 to 100...it happens in just seconds.

This is a fast bike...it's nothing like the range bike. I'm not trying to scare you or dissuade you - I just want you to be prepared.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
58 this year, just back on the bike two weeks ago after triple by-pass last November. Can't help but ride every day again. (only downside was the good lady wife said "If you're well enough to ride, you're well enough to do house work again----can't complain really, I'm ridin')

But speaking of 7-8K, once you get used to the fact that there is so much juice there, you'll ride with a circumspect style, and only unleash the goodies on special occassions- and you can name your own, ha ha ha

Ride safe, ATGATT

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Been riding since I was 15 (1969 Yamaha AT1 125) and am 59 now.

Had most every bike, mostly Japanese, couple of Harleys.

Bought my 07, used, wrecked (laid down several times) from my friend (son's first bike).
Bought it as a "beater" to replace an 05 KLR 250(28,000 miles) and had my 04 FJR and an 04 G0ld Wing.

Fixed the bike up, (all new parts), aftermarket pipes. Fell in love with it...

SOLD everything else...

By far, my favorite bike with NO plans of selling it... And yes, she will get up and go!!