New Mods.

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,
Well I got the mod bug again, and over that past three weeks, I have done some mods to my FZ6, in the effort to make things a little more comfy and smoother. I had already gotten a set of Scorpion Ti slip-on's, a PC3 that had been dyno tuned in, modded the air box a little with a BMC filter, and R6s "kit" cams (these where the cams that yamaha used to give in the "race" kit for privateer racing teams, which the bike shop I use had about 4 sets lying around because so many guys went to the new R6R fro racing.), block off plates, and manual cam chain adjuster..Anyway, I decided that i was in need of some more comfort on my FZ6, and also wanted to make things a little smoother, in the drive line.
First up: Spencer's Motorcycle Seats, modded stock seat. I have had my share of Corbin's and Sergeant's and Mustangs seats on my other bikes, but didnt want to lay out the cash again for this one, and I can honestly say that Spencers seat mod is worth the money. Living in central Florida, the shipping cost wasn't that much, and with modding just the front seat area and using his LD up-grade, the whole thing only cost me $105. Not to bad. After 2 or 3 rides on the modded seat you can really feel it break in and mold around your butt a lot more. Almost all of the butt burn that I would get is gone, and I had him move the rear incline back about 1 inch and also make it a little straighter. This along with the flatter drivers seat, gives you much more room and much more comfort. He also adds a little pad to the front so that the jewels dont get to vibrating when Im up by the tank, and it works, really well. I personally think that the seat came back put together better than what Yamaha had started with.
Next: I got a set of Knight Design lowering pegs. I had emailed them about doing a 1.5 inch drop, to which they replied that they only had at this time 1.25 inch drop (its a 1.25 because the rubber from the stock peg is gone and gives you another .25) or I could get a 2 inch drop. I went with the 2 inch drop, knowing that I would give up a little ground clearance. I have to say, Im glad I did. There is so much more leg room now, and my knees dont hurt at all on longer rides. As for the ground clearance, its really no worse than my FJR was (actually its still better) , and even much better than my RS warrior. No, they wouldn't work on a track day, not that I ride them, and I can still get over enough to only have a pinky size chicken strip, and not drag anything...

After that: I got a G2 throttle tube, but I went with a 20% faster than stock turn. Which means that if the stocker is like a half turn to WOT, this is now like quarter to just past a quarter turn to WOT. Yeah I know some out here will say, damn the stock throttle is to touchy to start with, but the past few bikes that i have had, I have always gone with a quicker turn throttle, and it just feels right to me. Now I and just twitch my wrist and im moving a lot quicker than before, and to get to WOT, I don't have to feel like im moving my wrist around the handle bar, which makes going out for a longer ride more comfortable, because there's less fatigue on your wrist and lower arms. Not to mention that the GS tube is much smoother than the stocker. Which also helps..

And the final new toys on the bike: Made the jump to a #520 chain and spockets. I went 16 in the front which is stock and 48 in the rear which is up two. First, gear change is so much smoother than before, there's almost no feel of slop in the drive line. Second, the bike just seems to put down the power faster, like its not working as hard to move forward, and with the 48 tooth in the rear, the bike is as 5100 in 6th at 60mph, so its only up 200 rpm, which isnt that bad, and you still get the same top end rush as before..Worth the money for the change..

Well thats all the new toys for now..more to come this spring, R6s forks, brakes and a Penskie shock...

Sean

Ah, I've been waiting to hear someone replace the throttle tube. I looked into it a while back but they only made stock replacement ones then, and I was looking for something like you got, with a shorter turn. Good to hear you like it.

This is the first I have heard of the kit cams, how much difference did they make?

The cams gave me a good hit of power, for a 600cc bike. With exhuast and a PC3 and dyno time, and with timing out the cams (+4 intake, -1 exhuast) so theres no over lap, the end result was 104hp at the tire and a even 49.6 ftlbs. The light switch effect the bike has at 7k has been smoothed over and power comes on nicely from about 5k on up to 13k, once at 7k though its pulling harder than it was with the stock cams...The bike shop that I go to said that if i went with the R6 t-bodies and found away for them to work with the FZ6 injectors and ecu (which they seem to think they can) I could get another 3 to 4 hp out of, but its not worth the hassle.
I guess the kit cams have more adjustment on the cam wheels and a little more duration, but the same lift as the stock R6s cams, though I could be wrong about that.

Sean

Back