New or used?

smkdat

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been hunting and bargaining none stop for a week now. I have located two brand new 2009 Black FZ6s: $7100 otd & $6848 otd
I wouldn't even hesitate on the one for $6848 if it was the deep blue, but it is black.

So I continued to look for a new 09 in the deep blue but no luck. Only can find used:

it has 3171mi, in great condition & has received a 60pt inspection. I managed to drive them down to $6000 otd, but I only get a 30 day warranty (50-50, i.e. I have to pay half).

Recap:

USED 2009 Deep Blue FZ6 with:
$6000 otd
3171mi
60 pt inspection
30 day (50-50) warranty

NEW 2009 Black FZ6 with:
$6848 otd
0mi
1 year full warranty

So my dilemma:
which bike is the better deal?

And am I missing any important details?

(I can afford either price, & financing will be the same... only down payment will vary)

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly neither of them are that great of a deal, sorry man. Between the two, I'd go with the new one for all the price difference there is. You'll have to take it easy on her at first, but a NEW bike has so much more satisfaction; just knowing that YOU'RE the only one to "break her in".

I payed $5000 for my new (3 mi) 2009 with a free 4 or 5 year (don't remember) Yamaha (Y.E.S.) warranty. I just talked them down a bit and went in at closing when they all wanted to leave haha!

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
neither is a good deal if you can't pay cash for it.... buy used and pay cash for toys. the fz is a very reliable machine, you cannot tell a difference between 1 mile and 45000.

how about the same bike for 1/3. the price ? (used)

Crax

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a slightly used 2009 last year for 4250 base price from a dealer. After tax/title/license/fees, It was about 4850 out the door. It had just over 1200 miles on it.

6000 seems way too high to me for a used one. I'd wait around a bit for a better deal.

I *think* vescos in Brigham City, UT has some new 2009 blue fz6's still. I know a guy on another forum went and looked at one there the other week.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Neither is a good deal as far as price goes. Definetly recommend new with a warranty if you can afford cash for it. Bought my blue 2009 fz6 in march for $5600 OTD and by May the waterpump went out and cracked it's seal. Dealership had to replace the whole setup at no cost to me for parts or labor.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
What others have said is true. That near $7,000 OTD is too high for a 2 year old FZ6, new or used. I got an 'average' deal on my 2006 new but it was January of 2007 so it wasn't a 2 year old model like this bike is...and I paid $6,100 out the door even with our high taxes here. Bike had 1 mile on the OD.

Also I have seen several 2009 model FZ6's for sale locally for around $5,000 with <10K miles on them.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only a 1 year warranty on a brand new bike ?? Yamaha factory warranty is 2 years unlimited kilometres :confused:

Nothing beats the smell or feel of a new bike , ask about the warranty length & for peace of mind buy the new one :thumbup:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't even hesitate on the one for $6848 if it was the deep blue, but it is black.
did you offer $6848 for the blue? Hard to believe the dealer would let you walk for a couple hundred dollars.

As for new vs. used, I like new, but you can find good used also. (sorry, that's not really helpful, I know, but that's my opinion.)

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $7k OTD for my new '09 FZ6. I know the price wasn't great, but I wanted to buy new just to have the piece of mind of the warranty, and I couldn't find any within a 100 mile radius cheaper.

I honestly didn't know how cheap these bikes were going for until after I already made my purchase.

-Nick

smkdat

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly neither of them are that great of a deal, sorry man. Between the two, I'd go with the new one for all the price difference there is. You'll have to take it easy on her at first, but a NEW bike has so much more satisfaction; just knowing that YOU'RE the only one to "break her in".

I payed $5000 for my new (3 mi) 2009 with a free 4 or 5 year (don't remember) Yamaha (Y.E.S.) warranty. I just talked them down a bit and went in at closing when they all wanted to leave haha!
Dang, wish I had your bargaining skills!

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
The used bike you were looking at was mine (the dark blue '09). I bought it brand new in Jun '10 and traded it in in May '11 on a new FZ1 Retro. The bike was broken in according to schedule and oil/filter changed at 600 mi to Shell Rotella full synthetic (ready for another change at this point). It has the stainless steel Romatech radiator grille ($85) and high end ASV blue anodized levers ($260) which are worth some extra dollars for their functionality. Bike was never down or abused, and never had a lick of trouble in the 11 months I owned it. Always garaged and always had a Battery Tender on it to keep battery fully charged (it still has the connector on it up by the ignition key, just buy a BT Jr and you are good to go). It literally is just properly broken in at this point. It has no issues and doubt you would have any for quite awhile.

The reason I sold it was to move up to an FZ1 and not for any problem with it. The reason it is priced where it is is they gave me $4,770 as trade value (well above KBB) so they are trying to make something on it (can't blame them for that). It is difficult to say if one is priced too high or too low. Prices vary all over the place depending on location, local market and what the dealer has in stock. Good used bikes like the FZ6 are somewhat scarce in the TX market.....most are abused, have crash damage, or are high mileage, the dealer wanted that bike because he knows his market for that kind of bike in that condition. Can you do better locally? Don't know, but as I browse dealers around central TX their used bike selection is pretty poor. CycleTrader doesn't show too much in the TX market, but you have probably already found that out.

Personally, I like new because you know it has zero history and has full warranty, but the blue '09 really is in cherry condition as a used bike.

Hope this information helps. I traded the FZ6 for this FZ1 Retro:

standard.jpg

Last edited:

smkdat

Reaction score
Visit site
did you offer $6848 for the blue? Hard to believe the dealer would let you walk for a couple hundred dollars.

As for new vs. used, I like new, but you can find good used also. (sorry, that's not really helpful, I know, but that's my opinion.)
They told me that was the lowest they would go; even after I told them about a bike that was for sale in Paris, TX (unfortunately recently sold, didn't mention that tho) for $5500 otd.
The price was from their Craigslist posting plus fees.

Last edited:

smkdat

Reaction score
Visit site
@Evitzee

Thanks for the info! Glad to be able to hear from the previous owner. Unfortunately, they stopped bargaining with me at $6k and that is just too high. Great looking bike, but gotta save as much as possible.
You are correct, the pickings are slim in Texas, especially for new FZ6s. I was able to locate a few new ones, but the blue ones were sold a week or two before I found out about the FZ6.
Thanks again! & your new ride... SWEET!!

Last edited: