New owner in Charlotte!

legendscar95

Reaction score
Visit site
I've commuted 70 miles round trip on a 600RR for the past year, and finally decided it's time to sit upright again - LOL. I'm 48 so the RR was my mid-life crises bike as I couldn't afford the typical vette....

The RR sold in about 3 hours on CL, and the FZ6 was always on my short list of replacements. I found this 2009 with 1000 miles on it in SC, and have put another 450 on it since I bought it Tuesday. LOVE this bike.

Here she is:

IMG_20150421_171942%204_zpszmv11l4l.jpg
[/URL]

Will likely add some bags shortly, but other that than, just plan to pile on the miles.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum!

'Vettes are overrated. You're not missing anything except the MASSIVE insurance payments.

She's a beauty! I continue to be amazed at how many of these bikes have been sitting for years with almost zero miles. Guess we should just be thankful for other guys' midlife crises.

Chris

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking bike, welcome! :welcome: It's funny you mention Vettes, I bought a '58 back in 2001 but since I got back into motorcycles after a 30 year hiatus, it just sits, so I'll be selling it this summer. The wife doesn't like to ride in it or the bikes, so I figured I'd cut the toys down by one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, sharp bike too! Some mods, un-real the mileage!!

Midlife crisis was a new 1989 RED vet, black leather, 6 speed manual. Really nice car but I like the bike better!:thumbup:

Oh, and loose the stock muffler. Its a completely different bike with aftermarket mufflers and really wakes up the bike!

Last edited:

legendscar95

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and yeah, what a difference it makes sitting up!!! Really, the RR wasn't that bad on my back (I did several 300 mile days on it), but my neck is a whole different story. I'm not tall - and don't have long arms - so to see straight I had to look up as far as I could. LOL.... Still, it was a cool ride while it lasted. Chicks dug it until I took off my helmet and they saw lots of grey hair..... Then, they seemed not to dig it.. . LMAO....

I need to take some pics, so I'll do that next, but after increasing the mileage on the bike by 50% in my first week of ownership, I have some thoughts on it:

1. I did an oil/filter change as, well, you never know and probably always should on a new (used) bike. What oil did I use? What filter? Was it for diesel engines? LOL.... I'm not telling!!!

2. The bike came with a fender eliminator kit installed (gave me the original parts also). Wow, I had no idea my rear suspension traveled all the way up there to smash the license plate... Pics to follow so you can laugh. I'll likely put back on the original stuff. I like it better.

3. Just wait until you see my custom luggage!!! Warning: I've owned a KLR - and have the milk crate mentality.... Just think bungee's and a backpack..... Yeah, yeah, I need pics....

4. Yeah, the 600RR had more power lower (believe it or not) - BUT - anybody that thinks the FZ6 doesn't have "enough power" - well - yeah - I don't know what to say. I'm no speed demon - but - I did explore the upper revs twice now - and - yeah - you really don't need to go any faster. I do 70 miles on I85 here in Charlotte every day it's nice out -year round - on a bike (I hate rain). This bike has plenty of power - and even putting along at 80, when I want out of a situation, it goes. It goes fast. Love the power. Love it. It's really enough.....

5. Sort of like the oil discussion I won't have (LOL) - yeah, the clunky shift linkage - or whatever - wow..... There are tons of threads on it - lot's of different experiences - but yeah - it clunks.... I'll get over it. To be honest - I'm going to try lubricating the linkage points - then after that - forget it......

Really - I love this bike, and I've had more than a few.

More updates and pics to follow - likely over the weekend. I need to mount the GoPro so I can post some vids of my mad commuting skills (ie. boring highway ride with the daily SUV with woman taking on the phone merging into my lane without looking and trying to kill me...) and also figure out how to wire up power for a GPS, phone, whatever else...

Did I mention I love this bike???? :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine, wrecked, to be a replacement beater(a KLR 250 actually). I had a Goldwing and FJR at the same time.

After fixing the damage on the FZ and putting aftermarket pipes on(so it doesn't sound like a sewing machine), I fell in love with this bike..

So much so, I sold everything else. As noted, it'll git it when called upon, good mileage, upright seating, VERY easy on tires(compared to the FJR and wing).

Unless it gets totaled/stolen, it'll be in the stable indefinitly... :thumbup:

Also, try some Motul 7100 full synthetic oil and lower the idle a tad to around 1,100. The oil does make a difference and lowering the idle some make the first gear clunk a little less...

Last edited:

legendscar95

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I feel the same way (ok, it's only been a week - but I think I know...) about the bike as you do!!!

So, I promised pictures so here we go.

First, the updated mileage shot:

IMG_20150430_160010_zpsvmh8uagq.jpg
[/URL]

My custom luggage and custom luggage restraint system:

IMG_20150430_155750_zps7lrc4bem.jpg
[/URL]

Thought it was going to rain today, so, showing up my custom rain cover:

IMG_20150430_155949_zpsplzhhyvv.jpg
[/URL]

So, this is why I'll likely put back on the stock rear fender - the plate was straight when I put it on - I didn't even think about it hitting the tire under suspension load - but - yeah - it did:

IMG_20150430_155825_zpsavwnkjlw.jpg
[/URL]

Finally, yeah, OIL, ha ha ha - this is what I used when I changed it, and yeah, didn't want to discuss it so I'll leave it up to those that know what this is:

IMG_20150430_181156_zpsnggcokxp.jpg
[/URL]

LOVE THE BIKE! If you can't tell.....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya may want to loose the lil' reflector tag holders... Get some SS cap screws with self locking nuts,

Oh, and once you start spending some serious $, some after market pipes will make it a completely DIFFERENT BIKE. Especially with the DB killers out..

legendscar95

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to have to drop you a PM as I have questions about how you did some of the things to your bike (power outlet, etc...) - and - as it looks GREAT - I want to do the same thing!! :)

I rode the bike today for the first "pleasure" ride. I've only used it to go to work the past week - and - yeah, this bike is awesome. I live west of Charlotte and can ride literally for 100's of miles through the country - on great roads. I know, I know, don't hate me. Also, yeah, pics to follow in a mini-ride report some day.

Took a close look at the bike (for the first time really) and some items:

Hey, shouldn't a bolt go here:

IMG_20150503_173308_zpscpbztutz.jpg
[/URL]

Then was like, "hey, wonder if there is one on the other side" (nope, but, note the corrosion on the brake line - more on that below ):

IMG_20150503_173248_zpsfkzedudo.jpg
[/URL]

Also, some weeping (is that a word) from here (I hate leaks of any kind whatsoever):

IMG_20150503_174933_zpsmlht1sdh.jpg
[/URL]

Kind of strange (for me) but some fasteners are corroded - most are shiny new - and - being in the south - it's weird:

IMG_20150503_173330_zpsenvrbrpm.jpg
[/URL]

FINALLY, the only thing I can find wrong is this: High speed wobble when I take my hands off the bars..... Under 40 - no wobble. Over 40 - wobble. I'll figure it out as I've read up on it - yeah, could be the fact those tires have been on since 2009 - and the bike obviously has been sitting for a LONG time. I'll deal with it as I'm a cheap bastid (Remember, KLR owner!!) - so there's no way in heck I'm buying new tires until I toast these. :)

I have no clue why I wasted 18 months on the 600RR - other than "I had to do it"!!!

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best Forum around!

I have a couple of comments/questions. Obviously the bike has spent most of its life in storage. Do you know how or where it was stored? I'm guessing that corrosion/rust has something to do with the environment it was in. Yes, you are correct, you are missing a bolt above the caliper, however I'm not sure why somebody would have removed it.
Like it or not, you may have to bite the bullet and buy some tires. Check the the date coding on the sidewall to confirm the manufactured date. Regarding the bent plate, the factory tool kit if included should be under the seat, When you remove the seat check the rear shock for the setting. There is a tool in the bag to move the ring and adjust the preload. I would confirm the setting and move it up a couple of settings. I'm 6' and 200 lbs and have never experienced the bottoming out issue. I have mine set at 7.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to FZ6 world.

Thats a really good bike.
I work for Wells Fargo and I live in University area.
PM me if interested for a meet up..!
Finally good to find a fellow FZ6 rider in the same location.

legendscar95

Reaction score
Visit site
Ken - thanks for the tips. I don't know how the bike was stored unfortunately, but it is amazing how some of the bolts are so oxidized while the majority of the bike is totally spotless.

Date code is 3908 - so - original tires.... I've put 600 highway miles on them, but yes - I know there is serious debate over age, etc.... Funny how I'll likely double the mileage on the bike in just 2 weeks. Poor bike - it LOVES to run - so life must have been hell for it! :)

I'll check the rear suspension settings as soon as I can - likely tomorrow when I get home. Thanks for that.

Raja - I'd love to get together for a ride some day. I'm a former BOA guy, but don't hold that against me. My favorite is a ride past Shelby, then a back road up to 226A (The Diamondback!) - up to Little Switzerland on the BRP - then back.

People actually asked me why I was so happy when I got to work this morning (I guess I'm grumpy?!?!) - and I said "I love my new bike". They asked me to ride it every day..... Hmmmm...............

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a former BOA guy, but don't hold that against me.
--Haha, i don't mind

My favorite is a ride past Shelby, then a back road up to 226A (The Diamondback!) - up to Little Switzerland on the BRP - then back.

--Sure that sounds fun. Am ready any weekend.

"I love my new bike".
--damn yes, i love my FZ6.

Last edited:

legendscar95

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, thanks for that link Raja!!! I still owe you a PM to take you on that ride up 226A - if you haven't done it - you'll love it.

Well, I've doubled the mileage and really just have one strange issue: The bike is hard to start ONLY when it's been sitting in the sun. I know, yeah, strange..... I can pull it out of the garage every day, fires right up. BUT - when I leave it out in the parking lot @ work - or - today - I pulled it out and left it in the sun all day @ home - it took 3 tries to fire. Weird.... When the bike is running (so, hot motor) - fires fast - always. These are "cold" starts - but yeah - in the sun for hours. No clue. LOL. Gas? I guess, maybe, somehow a line is getting hot?

ANYWAY, I'll figure that one out and report back.

While I've put 1000 miles on this thing the past couple of weeks with work, I really only took my second "pleasure" ride today. Some pics to make you all jealous as I'm honestly not kidding - GREAT riding in all directions from where I live.

Here you are!!!!

Gotta hit the State Parks:

IMG_20150517_124219_zpssqln0288.jpg
[/URL]

Country like this in all directions:

IMG_20150517_125157_zpseilr5rhs.jpg
[/URL]

My kind of road:

IMG_20150517_125512_zpsxxmlqtqz.jpg
[/URL]

So, the verdict?

While THIS bike was sexy, I don't miss her much:

600RR_zps4f0d11d8.jpg
[/URL]

STILL love the FZ6 - and glad to be upright. LOL. Sort of like I said with the RR, anybody that thinks there isn't enough "power" - like, on the highway, is crazy. Plenty, everywhere, when you need it!!!!

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to FZ6 world.

Thats a really good bike.
I work for Wells Fargo and I live in University area.
PM me if interested for a meet up..!
Finally good to find a fellow FZ6 rider in the same location.

There are more of us! I live off of exit 39 off of 485. Have a nice garage if you guys ever need some space to work on your FZ's.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, shouldn't a bolt go here:

IMG_20150503_173308_zpscpbztutz.jpg
[/URL]

Yepper, a bolt and nut on the inside. A little loctite will keep it there..

IMG_20150503_173248_zpsfkzedudo.jpg
[/URL]

Also, some weeping (is that a word) from here (I hate leaks of any kind whatsoever):

IMG_20150503_174933_zpsmlht1sdh.jpg
[/URL]

Just needs a new o-ring seal on the filler cap...

Kind of strange (for me) but some fasteners are corroded - most are shiny new - and - being in the south - it's weird:

IMG_20150503_173330_zpsenvrbrpm.jpg
[/URL]

FINALLY, the only thing I can find wrong is this: High speed wobble when I take my hands off the bars..... Under 40 - no wobble. Over 40 - wobble. I'll figure it out as I've read up on it - yeah, could be the fact those tires have been on since 2009 - and the bike obviously has been sitting for a LONG time. I'll deal with it as I'm a cheap bastid (Remember, KLR owner!!) - so there's no way in heck I'm buying new tires until I toast these. :) Check for any cupping on the tires and also any play in the steering. There shouldn't be any "forward/back motion" (on the centerstand, ft wheel lifted).

I just changed put my PR2 on the front that lasted about 15K miles, just hitting the wear bars... Besides the tires, the balance may be off, steering may need adjustment, tire cupping.

Re the fender bolts, here's the parts fisch showing what your missing;

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2009 FZ6 - FZS6YB FENDER Diagram Parts, 2,3, 6 and 7

I couldn't find it on the parts fisch but your also missing the brake line retainer that bolts to those two bolts mentioned above.

The one pictured below is on my bike and NOT stock but the stock retainer(s) does the same thing, one for each side...

Last edited: