New scorps, K&N and PCIII ... backfiring?

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
So just got my stainless scorps mounted, PCIII with the scorpion map, did the airbox mod and put in a K&N.

I compared the scorpion map to one from Hellgate, and scorpion is waaaay richer ... so I started with that first and get back it down.

I'm getting some backfire on deceleration - which I though was a "lean" condition - but I can't imagine going richer than the scorp map.

Is my backfire from lean or too rich condition??

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So just got my stainless scorps mounted, PCIII with the scorpion map, did the airbox mod and put in a K&N.

I compared the scorpion map to one from Hellgate, and scorpion is waaaay richer ... so I started with that first and get back it down.

I'm getting some backfire on deceleration - which I though was a "lean" condition - but I can't imagine going richer than the scorp map.

Is my backfire from lean or too rich condition??

Rich. The popping is from fuel burning in the exhaust. Are you CATs in or did you gut them?

Remember the bike is rich stock. Compare the two maps and you can see the difference. I don't have the DJ software on this PC but look how much is taken out.

Also did you unplug your O2 sensors? If so plug them back in if you have the CATs in place. If you disable the O2 sensors you will clog your CATs you and be in a world of hurt.

With my map and the Arkropovic I had very little popping is any. That said the TBR system does not muffler as well as the Arka so you maybe hearing more pop.

When my bike (the Buell) was on the dyno yesterday it was popping and misfiring like crazy with a "performance" map that richens the bike. It was a total failure. The program bumped the AFV from a relative setting of 100, front and rear cylinders, to 102 front and 107 rear.

Try both maps and see which is better.

Also remember the bike will run closed loop regardless. See my map for tuner's notes on the closed loop range. I don't recall the specifics off the top of my head. 0 rpm to 5500 rpm and 0% to 20% throttle I think.

I won't get on the anti-DJ rant too much but with most of their maps the bike is drowning in fuel. Note they will add 20 points and my map will remove 10 to 15 points of fuel. The difference is they tune to a stoichiometric number instead of analyzing the exhaust emissions and tuning for a complete burn of fuel. That is a totally different thread.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One more thing. Did you disconnect your battery terminal to reset your ECU? Give that a try before you make any more change. Remember it is best to do one thing at a time and see how it works, then you can pin point what made the change.

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate ... thanks for all your help - and the map!! Mine is an '06 - so don't think I have the O2 sensors. Also, I can't find a cat on this thing (unless its just at the end of the headers/midpipe)??

I can see the diff in the maps ... the standard scorp map is +7 to +28 at times and yours is mostly in the negative - I'll def drop in your map and see what happens.

My brother (FZ1 rider - boo!!!) says its too lean, but I've now read some articles that describe lean and rich conditions causing backfire. And what do those FZ1 guys know anyway?! ;)

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not unhook battery terminal ... I'll try that first. Yeah - nothing like throwing the kitchen sink in all at once - since I had everything off - just decided to go for it .... I've had the tank off a half-dozen times already with just 4000 miles on it.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Popping can also be due to an exhaust leak that's drawing fresh air into the exhaust. Since you just installed the system, check your install to make sure that all the connections are airtight.

Fred

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate ... thanks for all your help - and the map!! Mine is an '06 - so don't think I have the O2 sensors. Also, I can't find a cat on this thing (unless its just at the end of the headers/midpipe)??

I can see the diff in the maps ... the standard scorp map is +7 to +28 at times and yours is mostly in the negative - I'll def drop in your map and see what happens.

My brother (FZ1 rider - boo!!!) says its too lean, but I've now read some articles that describe lean and rich conditions causing backfire. And what do those FZ1 guys know anyway?! ;)

Ahhh! '06. Well you are on your own my friend. I know the 07+ well but not the 06.

See what you can do with it. I'd suggest getting a 4 Gas EGA hooked up to it and see what it is doing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Popping can also be due to an exhaust leak that's drawing fresh air into the exhaust. Since you just installed the system, check your install to make sure that all the connections are airtight.

Fred

Good call.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
did the airbox mod

This could also cause a problem with the map.

Personally I agree with Hellgate...the pre-made maps seem odd to me, I would dyno-tune (or even tune by "feel" like when carb jetting if you have access to a "closed course") starting with a "zero" map.

The CAT is located just before the mufflers, it looks like a bulge in the exhaust tubing...here is a pic (part #6):

partimage.gifx

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
did the airbox mod

This could also cause a problem with the map.

Personally I agree with Hellgate...the pre-made maps seem odd to me, I would dyno-tune starting with a "zero" map.

The CAT is located just before the mufflers, it looks like a bulge in the exhaust tubing...here is a pic (part #6):

partimage.gifx

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
guys .... thanks for all the feedback. I unhooked the + batt terminal to reset the ECU, gave a few extra turns on the can clamps and dropped in the "zero" map to start clean.

It's much better now ... just a little backfiring on decel when it was cold but it's much cleaner.

This bike has a whole new personality now ... I'm very pleased with the results. I got a 15t sprocket and new vortex rear with DID gold chain that will be going on next.

Ps - gonna post up my $1.40 FE kit with anybody who has scorps - stay tuned. :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
guys .... thanks for all the feedback. I unhooked the + batt terminal to reset the ECU, gave a few extra turns on the can clamps and dropped in the "zero" map to start clean.

It's much better now ... just a little backfiring on decel when it was cold but it's much cleaner.

This bike has a whole new personality now ... I'm very pleased with the results. I got a 15t sprocket and new vortex rear with DID gold chain that will be going on next.

Cool Snake, I'm glad it worked out okay. Try the map I gave you out too and see if it works.

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site

I was under the impression that the 04-06 bikes did not need the battery disconnected as the ECU does not learn like the change in the 07-08's. Also no o2 sensors. You've got an 06 so disconnecting wouldn't help anything. Correct me if I'm wrong.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
An important thing to note is that you're probably not experiencing backfiring.
What you're experiencing, since it's mostly on decel, is the combustion of unburnt fuel in the exhaust system when it comes in contact with the superheated air from the AIS system.

Completely normal especially when installing an aftermarket exhaust.

To the guy above me, Yes you do NOT need to disconnect the battery on 2004-2006 models. As there's no oxygen sensors, it won't do anything.

To the OP, glad you're happy, enjoy!! :)