New server

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Hi all okay the site is now on the new server.... A real server !!! not a homebuilt desktop pretenting to be a server... So we now have room to grow...

Stats: ( for those that speak the lingo)

3 ware 9650 SE raid card with backup battery (1 terabyte raid 10)
4 Gigs DDR2-800
2 1 Gigbit Nics ( one in use )
Intel Quadcore Q6600 CPU
Intel S3000AHLX mainboard....

Thank you premium and elites... you rmemberships paid for the hardware.......

SO..... let me know of bugs issues ect.....

Dennis

Being the nerd I am,- what make/model disks are you using?

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
So that's why the website was down yesterday.
Do you have it colocated or do you host it from home(t1?)?

its at home with 2 cable internet business connections that are = to a T1 but not as expensive....... All thanks to the Xincom XR16 multi wan gateway I picked up on ebay.. ( got an awesome deal on it!!)

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Being the nerd I am,- what make/model disks are you using?

5 Seagate Sata 2 ES Drives with a capacity of 500 GB each 4 on the raid with one on standby for any failures in the raid.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Solid choice!

I use the WD Caviar RE3 disks for my own Raids, - but the Seagate is not a bad choice.

I prefer Samsung or Seagate, but if I have to go with WD, I make sure it's a server quality drive. Their desktop drives suck.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I understand it all and GREAT JOB Dennis! Rockin' machine we live on now! w00t!

For those that do the math... that is 5 x 500 GB of space, but because one is a spare drive and the RAID is set up for level 10, you lose two more to redundancy, thus 1 TB useable out of the 5 drives. That means that Dennis can sustain a total of 3 drive failures and still keep the site running!

Nice work!!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
its at home with ....

Since you run it from home, - do you have any kind of temperature control?

It's been proven that for every 2c degrees hotter than 40c your harddisks run, their lifespan will be cut in half!

eg:

40c : 5 years
42c : 2.5 years
44c : 1.25 years

and so on.

This goes for 24/7 use only.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
They run on average 27-30C I have a active fan controller in the 3u case and 6 high speed fans 4X92MM 3500RPM and 2X60MM 6500RPM the speeds are varied as required by the controller.. The controller monitors CPU, Power Supply , HDD, and ambient case temperature. Also the server is located in a cool area ( the garage ) lol... most of it is under ground so it stays relativley cool and the it has a ventilation fan to the outside... This summer will be the challengs to see if it keeps it all cool.....:popcorn:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
They run on average 27-30C I have a active fan controller in the 3u case and 6 high speed fans 4X92MM 3500RPM and 2X60MM 6500RPM the speeds are varied as required by the controller.. The controller monitors CPU, Power Supply , HDD, and ambient case temperature. Also the server is located in a cool area ( the garage ) lol... most of it is under ground so it stays relativley cool and the it has a ventilation fan to the outside... This summer will be the challengs to see if it keeps it all cool.....:popcorn:
:thumbup::thumbup: Sounds like you got it covered :thumbup::thumbup:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/10/08/the_worlds_most_dangerous_server/

:D

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO!!! That is the most awful setup I have ever seen!!!!!.....