New to the forum, riding, and FZ6s ;)

I think this guy should:

• get a bigger helmet, let some oxygen into his brain and go for something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone

I'm an American living in Switzerland (Zurich) and a part of my dream in coming over here in the first place was to ride a bike through the Alps. Thing is, the sum total of motorcycle experience was a single ride on a friend's ninja about 12 years ago. ;)

So early this summer I finally started taking lessons, and now I'm looking around at bikes to buy. During several months of significant amounts of forum reading, I've stumbled across this one, and I thought I'd stop in and say hi.

I've read an awful lot on "ideal" beginner bikes (and am now aware that the opinions vary widely), but I think my purchase is going to be an FZ6 Fazer S2. While I think it likely that I'll consider myself a beginner for the next year or two, I've spent enough time on a bike to think that I'm now capable of driving something like this with care. I started on a Honda CM 125, quickly moved to a Varadero 125 due to my height (6'4", or 194 for the metric folks), and have recently been practicing on a Transalp 600 (all owned by the instructor).

I haven't bought the bike yet, and the instructor is still trying to steer me in the direction of a TDM 900 or a Suzuki DL 650 (tall, easy to ride) but after having visited a dealer, I have to admit that the looks of the FZ6 S2 and the FZ1 really pretty much sold me. I'm going to do a lot of test driving over the next few weeks, but if I make the buy, you can bet I'll be spending a lot more time on the boards here. Lookin' forward to chatting with y'all!

Lance

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks folks. Looking forward to the test drive next week, believe me. ;)

and +3 on the Fizzer. Great bike, with tonnes of upgrades/customization available. You won't be disappointed!

I've already started planning, actually. Near-term post-purchase additions include a pair of those ugly little bumper things in case I drop it (pre-purchase, probably), and more importantly, a higher seat and a GPS for those confusing Swiss roads. I'll wait for the rest till I've had some time to decide what I like and what I don't. :thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks folks. Looking forward to the test drive next week, believe me. ;)

I've already started planning, actually. Near-term post-purchase additions include a pair of those ugly little bumper things in case I drop it (pre-purchase, probably), and more importantly, a higher seat and a GPS for those confusing Swiss roads. I'll wait for the rest till I've had some time to decide what I like and what I don't. :thumbup:

Those ugly little bumper things = frame sliders :D Good first investment. Make sure you take and post pics of your bike, and upgrades/mods. People love that on here!

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
Those ugly little bumper things = frame sliders :D Good first investment. Make sure you take and post pics of your bike, and upgrades/mods. People love that on here!

Believe me, once I get it, pictures are going up here, Facebook, and anywhere else I can think to put them. :cheer: And thanks for the terminology - still working on that part, though I'm getting a feel for things like "twisties" and - eek - "squids". ;)

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of terminology... is there a more or less "standard" definition of the word beginner? I've got about 40 hours on the saddle now (10 with an instructor) and I'm starting to feel like the beginner advice I read on the web is targeted at people who haven't even ridden before...

Silly question, but I'm curious. ;)

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of terminology... is there a more or less "standard" definition of the word beginner? I've got about 40 hours on the saddle now (10 with an instructor) and I'm starting to feel like the beginner advice I read on the web is targeted at people who haven't even ridden before...

Silly question, but I'm curious. ;)

Your a newbie. (new-bee). I'm pretty sure that word originated online but a lot of the folks I've met through riding use it in person, so I guess its a good term.

Lots of the "beginner" information is for people who have never sat on a bike. Thats how I felt the MSF class was geared. Its got a lot of Pre Trip information and it goes over what to look for on a bike if you haven't got a mechanical bone in your body.

This site may be a little more helpful.
Motorcycle Safety Site

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your a newbie. (new-bee). I'm pretty sure that word originated online but a lot of the folks I've met through riding use it in person, so I guess its a good term.

Lots of the "beginner" information is for people who have never sat on a bike. Thats how I felt the MSF class was geared. Its got a lot of Pre Trip information and it goes over what to look for on a bike if you haven't got a mechanical bone in your body.

This site may be a little more helpful.
Motorcycle Safety Site
Also known as a "noob" :)

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site
Also known as a "noob" :)

Hah. I thought that term only applied to nerds playing video games. Ok, got it. ;-)

I think I'm defecting from the FZ6 club though, guys. I test drove half a dozen Yamaha bikes on Saturday, and the Fazer 8 was amazing. The FZ6 S2 was just too twitchy on the throttle, shifting was rough, and I generally didn't feel comfortable on it. The FZ1 was just too big - I'd never get a chance to practice shifting on it. ;) And like Goldilocks said, the Fazer 8 was just right....