New with 2004 fz6. Upgrade questions

Cgswss

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I have about 200 miles on a new to me 2004 FZ6. Love the bike! Hate the tack! Hate the mirrors!

Mirrors are real nice if I was thinking about looking at the tattoos on my arms, but not so much for people behind me. IÂ’m thinking IÂ’ll just get bar end mirrors, but the first set I ordered are tiny. I think IÂ’ll send them back and try to find something a little larger.

My biggest complaint is the tack. I guess there is someone, some where, that can see the damn thing in sunlight, but it sure isnÂ’t me! My Dad had a real neat after market tack on his VMax. It ha a big easy to read analog face, built in shif light, and digital speedo ( all one unit). ItÂ’s there anything like that which would work on the FZ? Also, I wish it had a gear indicator. I understand there are after marke gear indicators that can be added on. Has anyone tried one of these on a FZ6?

Other then that, IÂ’m happy with the bike, and frankly I can live without the tack, as this is not a race bike.

Other bikes I have had evened to have a dealer that had a lot of arts and upgrades for just that model. Is there ant supplier like that for the fz6?

After reading this post, I have to say I’m sorry for whatt the built in spelling corrector did to the post. Next time I’ll be more careful what it is typing

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
The Series2 FZ6 were 2007-2009 had a different instrument cluster and are not a hard deal to change. Check this link. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/40226-06-07-speedo-conversion-post600517.html#post600517

SiJcxoY.jpg

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the '06 model and I find the digital rev counter completely useless & unreadable - you can, however, switch the odometer to display revs instead of mileage by pressing the "Select" button, worked for me! [emoji106]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Cgswss

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! This is fantastic stuff guys! I just wish they wanted less for the used pods on flee bay. Most everyone I see is over $200 and most around $250 and then I have to get the wiring. Still, it’s a great option. And I love the idea of the gear indicator. Wish I hadn’t already ordered a different helmet lock, that one looks much nicer! So I’ll be checking flee bay often. Also I’m told there is a BIG M/C salvage yard near me ( I’m in port huron, MI) but I don’t know where yet. I now have something else to look for there ( when I find it)

Now to the “ I feel really dumb” department. I wanted to get bar end mirrors, but the ones I ordered will no way fit. When I remove the heavy bar ends on the bike, the expander on the bar end mirror is much too small. I also worry about removing those heavy barends, as I’m sure the weight is there to dampen some of the vibrations in the bars. So any suggestion on bar end mirrors?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, that lock and bracket, the lock is a genuine Yamaha part which can be re-keyed to match your IGNITION KEY. (I have the part #) and the bracket comes in black, or frame matching silver.

Also, electrical tab brackets (BMW style outlets attach). Good for battery chargers, air compressor, heated clothing, etc..