New Zealand

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
So my missus has decided she hates the UK (Labour government, big brother, massive taxes, hunting ban, poor schools, massively high house prices, namby pamby PC culture, government interference in our everyday life and general ineptitude, too much immigration (not racist but practical with 60million already in these small isles)) and I tend to agree with her. So she reckons New Zealand would be our ideal place to move too. OK. What do people know about the place (except I could buy a 4 bedroom house for peanuts)? Also what do other countries offer that the UK can't? (For faults see above plus massive fuel taxes and stupid speed limits and stupid speed camera's that have replaced cops who would stop proper dickheads instead of someone running 10mph over the speed limit)

I'm open to offers...:Flash:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So my missus has decided she hates the UK (Labour government, big brother, massive taxes, hunting ban, poor schools, massively high house prices, namby pamby PC culture, government interference in our everyday life and general ineptitude, too much immigration (not racist but practical with 60million already in these small isles)) and I tend to agree with her. So she reckons New Zealand would be our ideal place to move too. OK. What do people know about the place (except I could buy a 4 bedroom house for peanuts)? Also what do other countries offer that the UK can't? (For faults see above plus massive fuel taxes and stupid speed limits and stupid speed camera's that have replaced cops who would stop proper dickheads instead of someone running 10mph over the speed limit)

I'm open to offers...:Flash:
NZ is job and point dependant for immigration. Fortunately spouse points count in your favour. You can check out the high scoring jobbs from their immigration website. I have abook I could drop down to you. We were seriously looking at it 4 years ago. It has proper seasons and you can choose winter or sub-tropical. Why would it be your first choice considering its halfway round the world?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NZ is job and point dependant for immigration. Fortunately spouse points count in your favour. You can check out the high scoring jobbs from their immigration website. I have abook I could drop down to you. We were seriously looking at it 4 years ago. It has proper seasons and you can choose winter or sub-tropical. Why would it be your first choice considering its halfway round the world?
Sorry I forgot to mention you need about 6 refrences, A clear chest x-ray and negative HIV test (this may only be for healthcare though) My daughters God father has just gone there. He is a Dr. His wife is a radiographer. So points was not an issue. It took him nine months to complete the mandatory paper work. Thats the down side. They love it. I keep telling the missus we should go to canada. That would be my first choice.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
move to america. Still the government isn't much better but the roads and fuel prices are in a better position than any place in the UK thats for sure!!!

Go somewhere where education (if ya have kids) is top class, health system is free or only costs small amounts per year, weather is good and not prone to disasters!! Make sure that New Zealand isn't sitting on any fault lines or prone to flooding. Ok I know the english mainland was flooded this year but still...if your going to get up and leave ya better just make sure your going to a better place!! :)

I'm just throwing out some (maybe rediculous) suggestions...but on my mind would be: Florida, France, Germany and Australia.

I'd live in any of these places anyways! :):)

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
The potential biking roads had occurred to me. Canada appeals because I have family there. Ontario. But we want better weather!!!

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
She works in a company that makes sure all the councils place their road signs, yellow lines etc in the right places. Does all the mapping

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The potential biking roads had occurred to me. Canada appeals because I have family there. Ontario. But we want better weather!!!

Ontario, Canada has great bike weather. Last summer was long and warm. Very little rain the whole riding season. High standard of living.... The Government doesn't know wtf it's doing most of the time and lots of bike friendly roads.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ontario, Canada has great bike weather. Last summer was long and warm. Very little rain the whole riding season. High standard of living.... The Government doesn't know wtf it's doing most of the time and lots of bike friendly roads.
You have sold it to me mate. I wish, I wish.......... We are currentley trying to move to Ireland. Finding employment is proving tricky.

Neil

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
We lived in New Zealand for 5 years back in the '70s. We hated it...although we had moved from the UK, it was like we had gone back 20 years in time.
Fast forward to March of this year, when we went back for a vacation. The transformation has been unbelievable. The country is now slap-bang up to date...they are behind in nothing and want for nothing. We stayed with my wife's sister in Hastings (North Island), and even though they were going into their 'winter', the temps were still up in the high 20's early 30's Celsius (85 to 95 Fahrenheit).
Brits have a tough time "acclimatizing" to the country, the people and the culture. New Zealanders insist that they are nothing like the British, but don't let them fool you...they are Brits with suntans. I didn't hear the word "Pom" once during our holiday...whereas back in the 70's I heard it incessantly. Nice country! :thumbup:
Now...having said that...if Canada is on your shortlist, move to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The weather is great without big swings in temperatures. Yes, we get some rain, but it's not as bad as Easterners like to think it is. Don't let the Ontario boys on this board kid you that they have "nice weather". They bake in the summer while being eaten by black flies, and are up to their armpits in snow and ice from November to March. (Now, before you Ontarioans think I'm just another clueless western redneck, I was raised in Chatham, Ontario :Flip:). Toronto is worse....a construction zone/refugee camp mess of freeways and overpasses masquerading as a city.
The West is where it's at. :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Or there is always KY. Stupid hot muggy summers, Cold nasty winters but without much snow, every few yearss a nice ice storm or two. I like it, but have you ever heard the old joke about not wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you figure out he enjoys it. LOL

It really is nice, but if I had to move to another country New Zealand would be on my very short list. Norway, Finland, Sweeden are all to cold. I hear Belize is nice.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a very good mate who lived across in New Zealand for 3 years. This was just enough to get his (dual) citizenship. He loved it in New Zealand but returned to UK when his mother became (terminally) ill. He is still planning to return when the times right.
He and his wife both had jobs with UK wages when he moved out (both he and his wife transfered within thier UK based jobs).
He told me that the average New Zealand wage was aprox 1/3 of the equivelent UK wage. The cost of living is (obviously) much cheaper than UK which is fine if you plan to stay and not come back. But air fares are not much cheaper, so bear this in mind.

Personally I would go to Oz as I really enjoyed my time on holiday there, I liked what I saw and the life style was so relaxed, and with a similar humour and way of thinking to the Brits. (Now I'll get a load of abuse from the auzzies on this site, but that was my experience). The only thing that stopped us going was the distance from our family.

Last edited: