newb needs sage advice

broon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey learned people,

I have a newish 08 with 2600km on it. Bought the bike about a month ago with only 600km, so it was pretty damn new. Now since my riding experience is only 2000km I am a newb and I need some help.

I am having a hell of a time downshifting lately, in particular getting below second when coming down from upper gears. When I am completely stopped (in 2nd) I will have to let the clutch out a little to catch the gear, then I clutch in and shift into neutral. Most times I then have to clutch out/in to get it into first. I would say this problem started about a week ago and seems to be getting worse

Sometimes this happens when I haven't even been above 2nd. And today it lead to me dropping my bike! someone please tell me, is it something I am doing or something mechanical?

How's the clutch cable, is there slack in it?

How is it up-shifting? Is it difficult to go from 1st to second and so on?

Have you made the switch to a synthetic oil? Not that that's a silver bullet, but it sure helped to smooth out my shifting.

It's a common problem on motorcycle transmissions, essentially the bike must be moving for gears to mesh and allow shifting. Learn to downshift while braking with the intent of landing in first gear before coming to stop. This has an added benefit that you'll be in a position to take off if knuckle-head behind you doesn't brake in time.

How's the clutch cable, is there slack in it?

How is it up-shifting? Is it difficult to go from 1st to second and so on?

Have you made the switch to a synthetic oil? Not that that's a silver bullet, but it sure helped to smooth out my shifting.

Upshifting is fine, the clutch cable seems fine. The dealership I bought the bike from had done the oil change and first servicing already, so I have no idea about the oil.

Hey learned people,

When I am completely stopped (in 2nd) I will have to let the clutch out a little to catch the gear, then I clutch in and shift into neutral. Most times I then have to clutch out/in to get it into first.

This sounds pretty normal. Letting out the clutch a little is exactly what you should do if you are not able to downshift. Are you trying to downshift through several gears while not in motion? If you downshift during your stop, letting out the clutch between gears, I believe this will resolve itself.

It's a common problem on motorcycle transmissions, essentially the bike must be moving for gears to mesh and allow shifting. Learn to downshift while braking with the intent of landing in first gear before coming to stop. This has an added benefit that you'll be in a position to take off if knuckle-head behind you doesn't brake in time.

Thanks for the reply, maybe I am just doing something differently now. I am pretty sure that i cant get it to shift down into first when I am rolling either though.

Back