No more expensive tire changes for my friends!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Setup up looks great Erci. Your plywood platform looks large enough. I find that mine is sturdy/solid enough on a plywood platform because I'm standing on it when either breaking the bead or running the mount/demount bar around the tire. I've got traction tape in strips fanning away from the center for added traction because even the best of soles, it gets slippery.

I've done the wife's 15" snow tires on the unit too and it has worked great. I want to get the hitch attachment some day so I can do it in the garage or outdoors when it's nice out, but for now it sits in the basement and becomes quite the work out with no ventilation. :eek:

P.S. I tried to do quad tires with this and I could not break the bead.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice purchase, Erci, two "Thumbs-up"! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I went with a Harbor Freight unit years ago, and had to make many modifications to get it to work quickly and without damage to rims. In retrospect, I wish I had simply purchased a No-Mar package from the beginning.

TheSandman13

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got that same tire balancer. It's very well built, and works great. Would love to have the whole setup, but can't quite justify it. I changed 3 tires last month using the old fashioned way. Wasn't too bad.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Setup up looks great Erci. Your plywood platform looks large enough. I find that mine is sturdy/solid enough on a plywood platform because I'm standing on it when either breaking the bead or running the mount/demount bar around the tire. I've got traction tape in strips fanning away from the center for added traction because even the best of soles, it gets slippery.

Exactly what I'm hoping for. I walked around the *pretend* wheel with the bar and I'm on the plywood the whole time, so as long as my soles grip, I can't see how it would spin. Hoping to do first change on Monday or Tuesday. We'll post a follow-up.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First tire set changed.

- I did not have any issues with plywood spinning, since I had both feet on while removing/installing tires.
- Wearing regular sneakers was enough to give me traction.. no slippage.
- Removal of both tires was easy. (following video instructions)
- Breaking the bead was effortless on both front and rear.
- Installation was not all that easy. It takes significant effort to walk the bar around the tire (pushing with hip, and pulling with hand). I found that placing one hand on top of changer arm really helped. The yellow arm thingie cannot be used on front wheel with large rotors, but I found I didn't really need it for the front. I did use it on the rear.. not sure how much it helped and if it was necessary.

I imagine it would all get easier if I did it several times and often enough. If performance of this thing doesn't degrade, I'll be pretty happy with my investment.

The balancer.. it works fine, but what a PITA, if you're OCD like me. Each wheel took 15-20 minutes, and I still don't think it's perfect, but really need to ride the bike to see if it's noticeably out of balance.

Also replaced valves with 90 degree aluminum pieces. Hopefully they'll hold air OK.. (would have appreciated a recommended torque value for those).

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy also has the same setup and I have taken him up on the same deal you are offering numerous times!! It sure helps when you have to change tires every second or third oil change.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
First tire set changed.

- I did not have any issues with plywood spinning, since I had both feet on while removing/installing tires.
- Wearing regular sneakers was enough to give me traction.. no slippage.
- Removal of both tires was easy. (following video instructions)
- Breaking the bead was effortless on both front and rear.
- Installation was not all that easy. It takes significant effort to walk the bar around the tire (pushing with hip, and pulling with hand). I found that placing one hand on top of changer arm really helped. The yellow arm thingie cannot be used on front wheel with large rotors, but I found I didn't really need it for the front. I did use it on the rear.. not sure how much it helped and if it was necessary.

I imagine it would all get easier if I did it several times and often enough. If performance of this thing doesn't degrade, I'll be pretty happy with my investment.

The balancer.. it works fine, but what a PITA, if you're OCD like me. Each wheel took 15-20 minutes, and I still don't think it's perfect, but really need to ride the bike to see if it's noticeably out of balance.

Also replaced valves with 90 degree aluminum pieces. Hopefully they'll hold air OK.. (would have appreciated a recommended torque value for those).

remember how they were lifting the tire with their free hand in the video? That's the key. It does get easier and some tires have a more flexible carcass as well which helps a lot.

Also consider still using tire spoons to aid that last 10%

You can also get some wood working hand clamps to help pinch the tire so the bead stays in the middle of the rim

Last edited:

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
$787.50 shipped (that's for the changer, balancer and a bunch of little extras). Figure it'll eventually pay for itself. Especially if my friends donate to the "make the tire changer a smart buy" fund, when I change their tires :thumbup:

amazing how many toys can fit in that basement. i'll definitely be donating to the fund. you accept beer as currency, no?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you accept beer as currency, no?

But of course! :thumbup:

By the way, tires are balanced well enough (had no issues on the track), so while it may not be as perfect as dynamic balancer, it's certainly good enough.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$787.50 shipped (that's for the changer, balancer and a bunch of little extras). Figure it'll eventually pay for itself. Especially if my friends donate to the "make the tire changer a smart buy" fund, when I change their tires :thumbup:
Oh the joy of not having an automatic income drain (kids). Great set up, is tyre fitting really that expensive over there? If I get the tyres from the shop they will usually fit them for €20.00. This includes taking them off the bike and re-mounting. Get Mrs Eric riding and they will re-coup the cash even quicker.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh the joy of not having an automatic income drain (kids). Great set up, is tyre fitting really that expensive over there? If I get the tyres from the shop they will usually fit them for €20.00. This includes taking them off the bike and re-mounting. Get Mrs Eric riding and they will re-coup the cash even quicker.

The Mrs has a license, but riding is not for her. Cheapest tire fitting I know is $30 per wheel (if I take the wheel off myself), but it's an hour away, in a constant-traffic neighborhood.

Just about all other places I've asked charge $50 per wheel.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:spank:Holy Crap:spank: that is bonkers, well worth the investment.
You could start a nice little business going there.

Nelly:thumbup:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:spank:Holy Crap:spank: that is bonkers, well worth the investment.
You could start a nice little business going there.

Nelly:thumbup:
Yep, put your services on Craigslist!

$30 for both or something (off bike) and whatever you want to would probably get people lining up.

I will definitely keep you in mind when I finally get rid of the stockers, I'll probably ring both new tires around my waist and then ride up on the end of life stockers and take them off there. :Flip:

This guy knows what's up:
76a69b60.jpg