Noise ordinance.... Does your state have one?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the way home from work on Friday, I was coming through town and on the traffic loop, as I rounded the corner, there were state and local police all over.... I, of course, was in a heavy lean and ready to punch it at the apex.... the first cop points at me so I hit both brakes and stand the bike up and almost stop. He tells me to pull into the parking lot ahead... Uh OH! I am thinking.... It is a VERY sharp corner and even in the lean, it wasn't THAT fast!

So, I pull into the lot and am greeted by a very friendly state trooper. He tells me "Nice bike!! .........and nice helmet!" I say "Thanks!" and ask why I've been told to pull into the lot and he says "We're testing for the NH noise ordinance."

So, my arse puckers.... Two Brothers can on the bike.... I'm toast... here comes my ticket! and there goes the exhaust! But, I DO have the P4 tip installed.... I've never had it "officially" tested with this tip installed...

I pull into his parking area. It was downhill to get to him so I had simply pulled in the clutch and coasted down with the bike off. I pull up and he smiles and says "Man! That is ONE QUIET BIKE!" I laugh and put the front tire at the proper cone. He tells me to start it and when he says to rev, go to 3500 RPM and hold then yell to him that it is ready.

I slowly rev it up and hit 3500 and yell back "Test now!" So, he takes his reading and after several seconds, tells me to back off. I release the throttle and he says, "Head over to that table." There is a local cop there with all sorts of paperwork and items in front of him.

I ride over, dismount and pull out my wallet to get my registration and license. He starts talking on the radio in police codes.... I haven't a clue. He tells me that he's sorry to put me through this but locals have complained of motorcycle noise and they have to check. The state trooper comes over and the local LEO asks what my test was. State says "94" and I let out the longest sigh and FINALLY smile. The law in NH is 106 db.... PASSED!

Local LEO still has to fill out a card that states all my information and that I've passed. He again apologizes and says "Well, at least we know you're not the cause of any complaints." He thanks me for my understanding and patience and tells me to have a safe ride.

So, 2009 FZ1 with the Two Bros can and a P4 tip is officially tested to 94 db my the NH state police. Now, I can go get the bike inspected without worry! And, no more worries about driving anywhere in the state. NICE!!! :rockon: :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good news, Congrats!

One of the Utard legislators tried to pass a law against any non-OEM mufflers, regardless of sound output. And, of course, it would only apply to motorcycles. The AMA found out about it and fought it, and won thankfully.

What makes me mad is I learned about all this in AMA's monthly magazine, not a word about it in our local papers!!

The AMA has earned another year's membership from me. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They're trying to do this in California as we speak. The AMA is in there fighting again.

t1j2f3

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of us in California the vehicle code states...

27202. For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise
limits shall apply to any motorcycle, other than a motor-driven
cycle, manufactured:

(1) After 1969, and before 1973 ...... 88 dbA
(2) After 1972, and before 1975 ...... 86 dbA
(3) After 1974, and before 1986 ...... 83 dbA
(4) After 1985 ....................... 80 dbA

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.

Or in basic terms... If you changed your exhaust, it's illegal.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
In Texas, no; but "a muffler" (do your best Dr. Evil here) is required by law.

Texas state motorcycle laws

So under 21 we care about you,so wear a helmet.But over 21 you can kill yourself by not wearing a helmet .....eh is there anyone stupid enough to ride a bike on the road without at least a helmet????

American laws confuse me, ride your bike a little noisy and they'll nick you,But ride down the street with no helmet on and on a cell phone.they just smile as you go past,that's crazy....:rolleyes:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So under 21 we care about you,so wear a helmet.But over 21 you can kill yourself by not wearing a helmet .....eh is there anyone stupid enough to ride a bike on the road without at least a helmet????

American laws confuse me, ride your bike a little noisy and they'll nick you,But ride down the street with no helmet on and on a cell phone.they just smile as you go past,that's crazy....:rolleyes:

Ahh...but remember these are State laws not national laws, 50 versions of the same thing.

Yes that a lots of people who don't wear helmet. They invent a zillion reasons; freedom, comfort, style, etc. The 21 thing is based on the notion of being an "adult" and being responsible for yourself. A person who is under 20 (in this case) is not. Yeah 18 is the cut off from child to adult, I don't write the laws.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In NH, our version is a helmet until 18 and then you're free to choose. I am in the extreme minority wearing a helmet and a very RARE gem in NH with ATGATT no matter the temperature. Yes, I get a LOT of stares but I just smile inside the helmet.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Eric,

Where exactly were the cops? it'd be good to know just in case I'm up in that area.

I just looked up some pages and see that they think "Personal stereo system at maximum level" is 105db so 106db has got to be so loud you'd know it.

Did you say you had some kind of db reducing hardware installed? -- maybe you can take it out and still be legal :D. BTW I'm with the cop -- nice bike :rockon:.

Dennis

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis, they were right in the heart of Dover proper. I am quite sure that removing the P4 tip would nail me to the wall. :D No, I'll leave it. I didn't get this exhaust to be loud, I got it for looks and weight reduction (Not a member of the Loud Pipes Saves Lives club). So, I got what I wanted, weight reduction, looks AND legal! :thumbup:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I don't go into Dover so I shouldn't encounter them (my R6 is still stock exhaust so no worries anyway it's just that cops just get me nervous). I did go up/down I95 to Kittery on a nice long ride this afternoon and missed the rain almost completely. It was pretty trafficy coming back South. I saw several State Troopers -- each of them was stopped behind someone.

OT: Amazing how your FZ1 gets 38.5mpg. I'm so happy my R6 got 38.8mpg on my last fillup -- I generally get 37-40mpg (40 is best case so far). I really miss the 45-50mpg on the FZ6.

Dennis

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis, I have a feeling that the MPG is lower. I have a SpeedoDRD to install but have not had the time. I think I'll find that I can take about 10% off that! :eek:

For the noise? Well, it's not just Dover... Exeter, Stratham, Portsmouth, North Hampton, and Concord are all cracking down.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got stopped by CHP yesterday while riding with BryanDH and another friend of ours. We were cruising through a populated area on Rt 76, on our way to Palomar Mountain so we weren't hitting it hard at all. A little down the road CHP lit me up and I went to pull over on this sandy thin shoulder and he told me on the PA speaker to pull over up ahead in a better opening. I thought to myself, "I'm probably getting a ticket for the loud Two Bro's under the tail canons that don't have the DB cutters installed in at this time.

He said he was stopping me for my license plate. The angle is such that he couldn't read it. He was totally cool about it. He told us to be careful of loose gravel going up Palomar and to take it easy. He pulled away in the parking area and parked to do paperwork. As we were leaving I pulled up to him and thanked him for his kindness. He said just be careful and ride safe.

Our friend Barrett snuck out his camera! Hahaha!
picture.php

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of us in California the vehicle code states...

27202. For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise
limits shall apply to any motorcycle, other than a motor-driven
cycle, manufactured:

(1) After 1969, and before 1973 ...... 88 dbA
(2) After 1972, and before 1975 ...... 86 dbA
(3) After 1974, and before 1986 ...... 83 dbA
(4) After 1985 ....................... 80 dbA

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.

Or in basic terms... If you changed your exhaust, it's illegal.
What a JOKE! I think that ALL, every last Harley exhaust is in violation. Another worthless, CA unenforced law. CA is full of these.

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
it's funny how the noise ordnance passed but the helmet law stayed the same, I ride up to Nashua a lot and am just dumb founded by how many people don't wear helmets or gear. It seems like many of the helmets I've seen up there are the novelty ones which just seems like a waste of money.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
What a JOKE! I think that ALL, every last Harley exhaust is in violation. Another worthless, CA unenforced law. CA is full of these.

The noise ordinance/law in NH came about mostly because of Harley straight pipes. Unfortunately, Harleys are not usually the bikes that get nitpicked for this type of thing.

I actually like that they are stopping everyone (supposedly) and seem to have a handle on how to do it quickly and efficiently.

That being said, I don't think I'll be heading that way on my two wheels anytime soon....... :ban:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric,
can you describe how he tested? was it 20 feet back and at about a 45 degree angle?

I have my DB meter and should do an official measurment of mine since it is pretty loud (in case anyone forgot how loud it is fromt he FZ meet last year).

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric,
can you describe how he tested? was it 20 feet back and at about a 45 degree angle?

I have my DB meter and should do an official measurment of mine since it is pretty loud (in case anyone forgot how loud it is fromt he FZ meet last year).

Sure Rob. He has a series of small cones set up and I had to pull into the box and put my front tire up to the lead cone. Then, he had a piece of wood that was shaped like a large boomerang that he laid on the ground that started under the tip of the exhaust and extended straight back and then angled away from the bike. I don't know the measurements of that template. He held the meter at the end of the angled template with the tip pointed directly across the rear of the bike and at the level of the exhaust output. He had me rev to 3500 RPMs and hold.

Since I have a state cop who lives a few houses down, I can ask him if I can have the exact measurements.

Hope this helps!

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure Rob. He has a series of small cones set up and I had to pull into the box and put my front tire up to the lead cone. Then, he had a piece of wood that was shaped like a large boomerang that he laid on the ground that started under the tip of the exhaust and extended straight back and then angled away from the bike. I don't know the measurements of that template. He held the meter at the end of the angled template with the tip pointed directly across the rear of the bike and at the level of the exhaust output. He had me rev to 3500 RPMs and hold.

Since I have a state cop who lives a few houses down, I can ask him if I can have the exact measurements.

Hope this helps!

Great, thanks! I foresee us doing DB tests this evening. (as a side note, in case anyone is curious, a quick search turned up that the RPMs for a twin are only 2800, not 3500 as they are for a four cylinder)