Normal operating temperatur - 09 FZ6

LinearCitrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I apologize if this isn't the correct section for this question, but it seems to fit.

I'm curious what "normal" operating temperature should be as indicated on the computer. Typically when I ride, it's in the afternoon between 70-80 degrees and is in and out of town, so some stoplights, but never sitting for more than 2 minutes at a time. By the time I get home (~ 5 miles, ~15 mins) the temperature indicated is around 215. Is this normal / expected?

Additionally, I'm relatively new to riding so I wasn't sure if I should leave the bike running when I get home, or at least the key on, to let the electric fan run a bit?

I appreciate the information.

Thanks

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I apologize if this isn't the correct section for this question, but it seems to fit.

I'm curious what "normal" operating temperature should be as indicated on the computer. Typically when I ride, it's in the afternoon between 70-80 degrees and is in and out of town, so some stoplights, but never sitting for more than 2 minutes at a time. By the time I get home (~ 5 miles, ~15 mins) the temperature indicated is around 215. Is this normal / expected?

Additionally, I'm relatively new to riding so I wasn't sure if I should leave the bike running when I get home, or at least the key on, to let the electric fan run a bit?

I appreciate the information.

Thanks

When was the oil changed last time? It might have less viscosity causing more heat, due to friction.
Maybe it is time to flush the coolant and check the seal of the radiator cap.

People here prefer Honda's 50-50 as I remember. Engine Ice is also a good alternative. When I changed at 11k miles, it was like darker than Coca-Cola.
Make sure you don't have air bubbles in the pipes, after filling with the new liquid.

The last option would be thermostat not opening up, which usually causes restriction to the water flow, which might need a replacement of the thermostat and the fluids too.

Usually our bikes are prone to small pebbles getting stuck in the radiator fan, which sometimes causes blowing the unit out. Do the fan kicks in when you come to neutral with that kind of temperatures? I can't stress on the fan, because, it is the start of the season and the natural air (your weather hasn't gone more than 75F already) should cool it off normally, by the time you reach home.

Goldenstatefz6

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds about right mine runs about 180 when its >70 and I'm moving peaks around 220 when its 85-90 and sitting at a stoplight. Wouldn't be too worried. You should check the oil and the coolant though if you haven't and don't know when it was last done. They're both super simple.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in SW Florida and my temps(similar to your riding) 99% of the time NEVER goes over 200F.

As posted above, change out the coolant and flush.

What does the temp run at say 40-50 MPH? At 70 degrees outside, mine would be running maybe 175F.

Most importantly, once you start moving does the temp drop?

LinearCitrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

I plan on changing both the oil and coolant out this weekend to see if that helps. I bought the bike towards the end of last summer and the owner told me both had recently been done, but no way to verify that. They both looked ok (not dark or dirty), but it's a simple thing to do to be sure.

I'm not sure when the electric fan is supposed to run, but it does kick on when I get home and park the bike until I turn the key off. Additionally, yes, the temperature does drop when I am at speed.

Sounds like it isn't too out of the ordinary, but I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't scoot up anymore.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

I plan on changing both the oil and coolant out this weekend to see if that helps. I bought the bike towards the end of last summer and the owner told me both had recently been done, but no way to verify that. They both looked ok (not dark or dirty), but it's a simple thing to do to be sure.

I'm not sure when the electric fan is supposed to run, but it does kick on when I get home and park the bike until I turn the key off. Additionally, yes, the temperature does drop when I am at speed.

Sounds like it isn't too out of the ordinary, but I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't scoot up anymore.

Usually fan kicks automatically at 200+F. Good thing the fan is running. Keep us update with your findings. Good luck.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can usually tell how old / nasty it is just by the color.

A bit messy but if you just pull the lower water pump hose you don't have to dink with the drain bolt and washer (sometimes there's issues leaking or getting stripped).

You can then run your garden hose thru that WP opening to flush good as well as from the radiator down.

As hot as yours is running, I would flush, then re-fill with pre-mixed anti freeze. (I use Prestone pre-mixed).

Run it some, then dump it ( to make sure you get all the flush water out) and fill again.

You can get at least two maybe 3 full re-fills from a gallon.

And definitely change that oil (No car oil). If you can afford it Motul 5100 is semi synthetic oil and an excellent oil.
Motul 7100 is a full synthetic, which is what I use, 10W40 (red in color!!)

Some folks use diesel oil, (I don't follow what's what with that, I simply stick with MC specific oil)..

wildfire213

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks

:rolleyes: I read this and nearly had a heart attack until i realised you were working in imperial ;)

Mine never goes over 100C (212F) and only ever reaches that in heavy traffic. Mooching about back roads or town its more like 70C (160F)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Temps sound normal. Under 35mph on 80F day and they climb to 200F. Moving over 40mph any rpm and they drop to 180... Cold days and they hang right on the stat's opening temp of 165F....

Fan on 208 - 210F...

FWWI: there is no added value in leaving the key/fan on once home as the water is not circulating in the block. You're just draining the battery....

Last bit: I would not use water weter for anything but flushing or track use. You need coolant with all of the properties for anti-corrosion/oxidation and all that. If your town has hard water or heavy minerals, use distilled water for your flushing and filling if not using a premix.