Not warming up the engine

wshtb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I just bought my first motorcycle, a 2005 Yamaha FZ6. Glad to find this community!

Needless to say I don't have much experience with motorcycle, but the owner manual of my car (2003 Saab 93) recommends against warming up at idle speed. It reasons that it takes a long time to warm up at idle, which causes more wear. The manual recommends driving gently until the temperature is around "normal".

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
Would a thinner oil be more benificial? It will need less time to warm up to disperse through the engine.

I doubt it. A thinner oil thin enough to circulate quick enough to accommodate a "cold start" would be even thinner once it got to normal temperature. I wouldn't foresee it providing much protection. A good synthetic is the way to go......the stuff that Yamaha makes is great!

.....as always, I could be wrong about everything I said above. Please correct me if I'm wrong. =)

Thanks guys,

-Matt

S

sportrider

Hi I just bought my first motorcycle, a 2005 Yamaha FZ6. Glad to find this community!

Needless to say I don't have much experience with motorcycle, but the owner manual of my car (2003 Saab 93) recommends against warming up at idle speed. It reasons that it takes a long time to warm up at idle, which causes more wear. The manual recommends driving gently until the temperature is around "normal".
Welcome Aboard!!!:Flash:

831fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done quite a bit of reading on this subject since my dad and I have had several discussions over this. What I've found is that it is overall better to take it easy and let the bike warm up while riding then it is to just do an idle warm up. The big thing is to just not get on it and ride full out with high rpm's until it's warm. There are a few reasons:

1. It's more fuel efficient. You're actually heading towards where you're going.

2. The engine warms up faster with a moderate strain rather than just idling.

3. You also give the rest of the drive train, wheel bearings, and other lubricated surfaces a chance to warm up by taking it easy. I've seen guys let there bikes warm up at idle and then take off at warp speed. O.K. for the engine, not so good for all of those other parts.

mediumbob

Reaction score
Visit site
Tires

I like to think that if you warm up while riding your also warming up the tires. Isn't that also a plus? More often than not I use the start the bike, gear up method and then take it easy leaving the hood.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ah, another Saab 9-3 owner! :rockon: (I've got an '01 convertible). Welcome!

Because of this thread I've been starting my bike before slipping on my jacket, and I've noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd the first time is a bit less balky than it was from a cold start. Makes sense!