Not warming up the engine

strike_force

Reaction score
Visit site
Cause of my work (I'm on 24 hour call) some times I don't have the time to warm the engine before ridding, especialy when they call me in the midle of the night and have to be in, in 10 min. Fortunately work is close to my house but still I start with a cold engine.

Anyone else start with a cold engine for any reason?

Will this cause a problem in the future?

W

wrightme43

No
Always warm your engine by using it if you can.
Just dont wind it to 10-14,000 rpms while cold if you can avoid it.
Its always nice to have synth oil.

S

sportrider

I always let it warm up. it gives the oil time to circulate through out the engine. unless its super cold where you live it only takes a few minutes.do what I do, start the bike before you gear up normally by the time your ready so is the bike.:thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Owner's manual says it's safe to go when the internal temp reads "Lo", and them Japanese engineers were such curve-wreckers in college... :D

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 - start the bike and gear up - by the time all the stuff is on, it's ok to ride.

Take it easy for awhile. The worst thing you can do to your bike is turn the key and ride hard....

What's a few extra minutes? The h*ll with the company, if they can't wait 3 minutes :confused:

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 - start the bike and gear up - by the time all the stuff is on, it's ok to ride.

Take it easy for awhile. The worst thing you can do to your bike is turn the key and ride hard....

What's a few extra minutes? The h*ll with the company, if they can't wait 3 minutes :confused:

+1.
I always start it up and then put on my gear. Its normaly ready by then.
:Sport:

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I always let my bike warm up at idle speed. One of the worst things you can do to a piston engine is rev it cold. The piston will expand before the cylinder walls and scar them up.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
If I started mine up then left it for 5 minutes I'd get hung drawn and quartered by my neighbours !!! :)

Those Leo's are a tadge loud;)

By the way ... I ease down the road and ride for 5 mins as easy as possible ... when its warm enough I open her up and wake all the neighbouring villagers up :thumbup:, by the time they're looking out of the window saying "who's that noisy BEEEEEEP !" I'm long gone :)

stoggy

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 05 FZ6, 2nd owner it was ragged pretty hard and wrecked a couple of times before me... but if i don't let it warm up before taking off it will constantly stall until i let it warm up. and if it decides its warm enough to not to go through the warm up process i have to let it get cold and then warm it up, before i can get very far. I dont know what the guy before me did to it but he did a good job of it.

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
It's typically be better to warm up an engine by being easy on it, then it is to sit idleing. I just make sure it's got a smooth idle before I head out and am easy on it until the temps come up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always let it warm up. it gives the oil time to circulate through out the engine. unless its super cold where you live it only takes a few minutes.do what I do, start the bike before you gear up normally by the time your ready so is the bike.:thumbup:
bump:thumbup: I only live 10 minutes from work to.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Being you only live 10 minutes from work and you can't wait to warm your bike up I can't give you any "good" advice. You will wear your engine faster then most others. How much depends on type of oil used, oil change frequency, etc. etc. Keep an eye for oil "froth". Brown looking oil. It's due to condensation thats been "whipped" into the oil, because it hasn't had a chance to boil off. If you change the oil on a regular schedule you should be fine!;)
Mate, I am totally with you. Because my run is short I don't move until its warm to go.
Neil

strike_force

Reaction score
Visit site
Being you only live 10 minutes from work and you can't wait to warm your bike up I can't give you any "good" advice. You will wear your engine faster then most others. How much depends on type of oil used, oil change frequency, etc. etc. Keep an eye for oil "froth". Brown looking oil. It's due to condensation thats been "whipped" into the oil, because it hasn't had a chance to boil off. If you change the oil on a regular schedule you should be fine!;)

I undestrand your point but when I am on readyness and the call comes (most of the time in the middle of the night) I can't be late, and believe me minutes make a diffrence.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I undestrand your point but when I am on readyness and the call comes (most of the time in the middle of the night) I can't be late, and believe me minutes make a diffrence.
Would a thinner oil be more benificial? It will need less time to warm up to disperse through the engine.