Numb Throttle Hand

J

jsteinb95

Does anyone have this problem?
It usually starts after about 20 minutes of riding.
When I first notice it, I loosen my grip and it gets better.:(

I've had this problem because I'm a newbie and I was told that I was gripping way too tight and that I need to pretend I'm holding a baby bird in my hand. So, if you're hand is getting numb, you have killed your bird. :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I loosen my grip and it gets better.:(

You answered your own question. Loosen up buddy!

the first thing they teach you at the track days that i go to is that the bike is generally a better rider than you and will not go down unless you interfere with it. You are on the bike to guide it more than to make it do what you want.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Must have choked it to death :rockon:

I still catch myself choking the grips so i find it easy to span my fingers over the levers which forces me to loosen up on the grip because my hands are open and not "fisted" but it also gives quicker reaction time to the levers.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have this problem?
It usually starts after about 20 minutes of riding.
When I first notice it, I loosen my grip and it gets better.:(

Me too mate,same problem was holding on to the throttle like there was gunna be no tomorrow.I went out on a ride last weekend totally relaxed but focused no destination in mind out for a couple of hours and no sign of pins and needles.Bingo relax the grip.:thumbup:

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Relaxing your grip does the thing. But pay attention to your gloves too. Too thick gloves or separate rain gloves makes it harder to maintain your grip on the throttle without squeezing.

H

HavBlue

You answered your own question. Loosen up buddy!

the first thing they teach you at the track days that i go to is that the bike is generally a better rider than you and will not go down unless you interfere with it. You are on the bike to guide it more than to make it do what you want.

Big plus here... The bike would actually much prefer you weren't on it but that's in the perfect world right. The grasp of the grip is key but why? The hand goes numb because the outside of the palm (blood flow) is restricted causing everything from cold feelings to complete numbness. This can be adjusted for by a relocation of the bars for the particular rider as well as a quality padded glove. It would also stand to reason a death grip on the bars must be avoided. Learn to relax and enjoy the ride. It will eventually come to you.

One thing I find happening over and over is the lack of adjustments made by the bike owner to actually set that bike up for their specific needs. All riders are not the same and because of this all adjustments are not the same. First thing I do when I get a new bike is tear it up to make it right for me. An out of adjustment bike is a pain to ride. Adjusted properly for the rider and that same bike is fluid motion.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
another thing that you could be doing is putting too much pressure on your hands by leaning forward too much without taking the strain with your hips. Lean forward on the bike and use your hips and stomach muscles to keep the pressure off your hands. You want to lightly grip the handlebars so you can get the "Feel" of the bike. By gripping it too hard you'll hurt both your hands, wrists and your shoulders!

I know this because I do it all the time!! its such a bad habit and it hurts!

W

wrightme43

Another thing that helps me to maintain that loose grip, is my elbows. Keep them loose and able to do the Elmo chicken dance while riding. All parts of the body should be relaxed. Kung fu and Thi Chi help with this. Sticky Hands (Chi Sow (sp?) really helps me.

H

HavBlue

As most of you know or should know, tight grip and locked elbows reduce the rider's ability to gather and respond to input and feedback. Yeah, this is a very bad habit and it limits the rider's ability to really control the bike.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I use grip puppies. They absorb some of the road vibrations. On the highway I use a crampbuster ( crampbuster.com ). So I think relaxing the grip is important, but so is proper padding and the ability to change hand positions.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Relaxing your grip does the thing. But pay attention to your gloves too. Too thick gloves or separate rain gloves makes it harder to maintain your grip on the throttle without squeezing.

In case this helps, I have switched to using snow mobile gloves for my rain/ cold weather gloves. They have better throttle grip, palm pads for half the price of motorcycle gloves.

H

HavBlue

also good now & then on straight roads to hold the throttle with your palm and wiggle your fingers

I have long hands, 8.5" so much of the time the grips are held be my fingers as opposed to the palm. You are however right for those who snag the grip with their entire hand.