NYC tires

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

So I am at the point where I need to replace my tires soon and I was wondering if I should switch. In the approx 40K miles Ive put on my two FZ6s in the last 4 years (got a 2009 to replace the 2006 back in Aug) I have been running the newest model of the Michelin Pilot Roads available. 3s at first, then the 4s when they came out. I like the tires and I think they do a good job but after running them for so long I wonder if I could go even better.

I am a spirited rider who loves to hit the curvy roads and getting the bike down as much as possible, even when all I have is the streets of NYC Ill still lean into it as much as I can around corners sometimes just for fun. I LOVE super long distance trips when I can but I am a motorcycle courier so I put about 1100 miles on the bike last month, completely 100% in the streets of NYC (mainly Manhattan). Most of my riding is done in NYC and I will ride in all kinds of weather. The FZ6 doesnt seem to like snow too much so Im forced to wait a day or two after they plow the roads (my first bike, the Ninja 250, since it was lighter I didnt even have to wait, I would actually ride that thing through car tracks and if I kept it slow it would be ok) but otherwise I will ride through just about anything... and winter is just about here (almost).

I also seem to get a fair amount of flats in the rear. After I purchased the Pilot Road 4s that are currently on the 2006 I got a flat on it just 2 weeks later. I know some people will say its dangerous to do but I plug it up and move on since I cant afford a new pair of tires every few months. Both bikes have 3 plugs each in the rear tire now and Im wondering if there is such a tire that will be less likely to get flats but still good for my spirited riding style and crappy NYC roads. Maybe I should get something that is still a road tire but has a slight offroad lean to it? I emailed Revzilla since I usually buy my stuff there and they said the PR4s are still the best for me but a second potential option would be the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's which seem to have great reviews on their site but I dont see anything about them on here about any FZ6 people riding them.

So tire people... what are the recommendations?

Thanks for reading :D

mett248

Reaction score
Visit site
Revzilla Recommended the Pireli Angel GT's to me, I live in Boulder though and since wet weather performance is important for at least 1/3 of the year I ended up getting the Pilot Road 4's.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have a Michelin 2 on the front and a 3 on the rear... (The ft tire kicked up a "KEY" which got picked up and destroyed my REAR 2, huge slice. ((thus the 3 now))

Once the 3 wears out, I'm going back to a 2 on the rear. Less grooves to cup as it wears..

You may want to install a front fender extender on the front fender. Besides helping to protect the radiator from rocks, it can also help with the kick up of crap to the rear tire.

All my flats, since 1976, have been the rear tire (about 225,000 miles between all bikes).

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I did 2 sets of PR2's and loved them. got 12k and 13k miles out of them and there was plenty of tread left to spare. I thought I could step up to a better performing tire so I went with Pirelli Angel GT's. With about 5k on them I can tell you they are wearing well but I never honestly got the same feeling of confidence I did with the PR2's. They are a very decent tire just not as good in my mind as the PR2's. If stepping up again it would be PR3 or PR4

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did 2 sets of PR2's and loved them. got 12k and 13k miles out of them and there was plenty of tread left to spare. I thought I could step up to a better performing tire so I went with Pirelli Angel GT's. With about 5k on them I can tell you they are wearing well but I never honestly got the same feeling of confidence I did with the PR2's. They are a very decent tire just not as good in my mind as the PR2's. If stepping up again it would be PR3 or PR4

Yep, my experience too with the longevity with the two's.. The tires aren't half worn but the age is up there....

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Best tire based on your riding profile and funds would be the PR4's. I've always been a Michellin guy, and replaced my stock tires on my Multi this summer after 7k miles which were Pirelli Scorpions to the PR4's. Plus, I've read great reviews that the PR4's does very well in the rain. No complaints, I expect to get a lot more miles than 7k on the PR4's. They seem to stick pretty good going around the twisties, good enough that the riders behind me can't keep up with me. I currently have the Pilot Power 3's on my FZ6.

Dkobra

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey!

A fellow NYC rider with a fazer!

I have metzeler road tech z6 with about 12k miles on them and they still have plenty of life!

Only issue is they take a while to warm up. I'm considering trying the z8 next time :)

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Im always terrible on following up on comments. I do want to say thank you to everyone who gave their input and advice (albeit a month late). I ended up going with another set of PR4s. Ive had good experience with them and how they wear, plus the all weather performance is very important to me. I did consider some other options based on what you guys said and what Ive read elsewhere but everyone talks about how great PRs are and Im afraid to get tires I regret buying. If only I could avoid ever getting flat tires though....

Also Townsends I will definitely be looking into front fender extenders. Thanks for another great piece of advice :)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you thought about dropping the air pressure in the wet/snow for better cold grip? Perhaps around 34-35 psi may help in the snow but I wouldn't go below 32. City pot holes could be hard on the rims if you go to low. How about a picture in your winter mode?

Stick with the PR4's