Odd chain wear?

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While recently washing the bike after ~50+ days of straight rain and daily commuting, I noticed what appears to be some odd chain wear patterns on the back of my rear sprocket (ie. side opposite the swing-arm). Does this seem normal? The chain is within proper specs in terms of adjustments, and is the OEM chain. I have 13,000 km's on the bike.

Pic 1. This is the easily visible side of the sprocket (ie. the swing-arm side)
052711154200.jpg

Pic 2. This is the back side of the rear sprocket (looking through the rear wheel). What I am concerned with are the shiny silver wear marks along each tooth... (highlighted in yellow, the area is visible on the other teeth)
052711154101edit.jpg

PS - please ignore the dirt on the inside of the swing-arm; it's gone now, but it had been a LONG time since the bikes last wash, and with all the rain I was applying chain lube almost daily to prevent rusting...

Last edited:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I can not speak to the issue with the chain, however, there are alot of people on here that can probably tell you what it is, how to fix it, and how to keep it from happening ever again, or that it is normal. Have to go look closer at my bike now.

I am here today to let you know that it is OK that the bike is(was) a little dirty. We are having one of the rainiest seasons on record here in Michigan it has got me doing the same thing, oil on the chain to prevent rust, rain, then chain oil and road grime all over. My baby is dirty and needs a bath. We all can't keep our bikes mint spotless like Wolfman.

Last edited:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If your talking about the shiny area in the radius of the tooth then it is the normal wear pattern, that's the side of the tooth the chain puts all the force on.

Jerry

Is it normal to only wear on one side of the sprocket? I would think it would wear the inside grooves and create hooks over time...? The chain should be putting force in line with the direction of travel, not angled off like how the sprocket seems to be wearing, right? :confused:

Or am I worried for nothing? :D

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
The wear on the inside surface of the sprocket could be mis-alignment of the rear tire. Here's a link to one method to check alignment--

SportRyder's Wheel Alignment Method

I personally check from the swing arm pivot center to the rear axle center but it requires a way to accurately measure from the centers so the string method is probably the easiest.

Jerry

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The wear on the inside surface of the sprocket could be mis-alignment of the rear tire. Here's a link to one method to check alignment--

SportRyder's Wheel Alignment Method

I personally check from the swing arm pivot center to the rear axle center but it requires a way to accurately measure from the centers so the string method is probably the easiest.

Jerry

+1 It would seem your wheel is out of alignment. When you adjust your chain slack you have to also pay attention to the rear wheel alignment. Basically it looks as if your wheel is canted to the right and rubbing the chain and sprocket. The wheel adjustment has to be played with a little on most bikes. You'll get the chain slack and wheel alignment somewhere close and then when you tighten the final axle bolt the axle may creep on you and you have to play with it till everyone is happy. To tell you the truth I don't think most dealers would take the time so you should do it yourself.

I wouldn't call that normal wear and the first reason is lateral pressure in the chain links coming on to and leaving the sprocket as well as possible wobble on the sprocket which could cause premature wear on the mounting dampers or cush drive. Inspect your chain carefully and re align rear wheel. :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked at mine and its the equal amount of chain lube crud left on both sides of the rear sprocket so I have to agree with Cliff...

Also, the sprocket appears to have a bit of wear where the rollers pull.. You can see it carved out some, there's a slight lip/edge between where the roller goes and the rest (outside edge) of the teeth...