Oil disappearing and knocking sound under the feet on closed clutch

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently had an oil change, less than 100miles.
1. Weather around is ranging 25-60F for the past few days. When I received the bike from the mechanic, after an oil change, I checked with our dipstick and get middle of the |X|X|X|X| on vehicle straight up.
After 60 miles, of so many cold starts (around 10+), I got engine oil light, and found out the dip stick is dry on side stand, and |X|X|X|X|X|*

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-High-Mileage-5W30-Motor-Oil-1-qt/17134872

* is where you hold the stick.

2. I was nearing to exit and at 70 mph, released the throttle and pulled the clutch, just to coast till the red light/signals.
I feel some light beating under my feet, that is getting transferred to the foot pegs.
Is that normal?

3. From past 2 months, the mpg got dropped to 41 or below, city, but 50+ on long cruise weekend days. My colleague's FZ6 is having the same problem, we both get gas from different stations though.
Any info on this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's automotive oil and not the best thing to be using in a motorcycle. It has additives that can cause the clutch to slip. Did the mechanic adjust the chain?

And no, the knocking is not normal...

Anyway, hold old it your drive chain? How well is it maintained, cleaned lubrcated???

Most knocking weird noises you describe are from a worn chain, possible too tight and perhaps not
lubed enough.

Put the bike on the centerstand, make sure you have approx 2" droop (total) on the bottom run at the end of the plastic
guard. It should be measured/adjusted when the chain is on its tightest spot. (Its in your owners manual)

Also, take off the front sprocket cover and rotate the rear wheel slowly by hand. Watch closely as the chain comes off the FRONT sprocket. A good chain willl come off with NO kinks... I suspect you'll find kinks as the chain comes around and off the sprocket(and doesn't straighten out fully).

Depending on the mileage, how well you maintained your chain over time, will determine how long it lasts..

.Give it a good cleaning and a very good lubricating, you may be able to get some of the kinks out (if located).

If not, and the the chain is toast, running it and should it break and get thrown off, it may go thru your engine causes, lock up the rear wheel...

Please post back what you find...

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
That's automotive oil and not the best thing to be using in a motorcycle. It has additives that can cause the clutch to slip. Did the mechanic adjust the chain?

And no, the knocking is not normal...

Anyway, hold old it your drive chain? How well is it maintained, cleaned lubrcated???
No, not recently, and I lubed the chain 2 weeks ago, with fresh/unused engine oil. Chain is 10500 miles old, fa

Most knocking weird noises you describe are from a worn chain, possible too tight and perhaps not
lubed enough.

Put the bike on the centerstand, make sure you have approx 2" droop (total) on the bottom run at the end of the plastic
guard. It should be measured/adjusted when the chain is on its tightest spot. (Its in your owners manual)

Also, take off the front sprocket cover and rotate the rear wheel slowly by hand. Watch closely as the chain comes off the FRONT sprocket. A good chain willl come off with NO kinks... I suspect you'll find kinks as the chain comes around and off the sprocket(and doesn't straighten out fully).

Depending on the mileage, how well you maintained your chain over time, will determine how long it lasts..

.Give it a good cleaning and a very good lubricating, you may be able to get some of the kinks out (if located).

If not, and the the chain is toast, running it and should it break and get thrown off, it may go thru your engine causes, lock up the rear wheel...

Please post back what you find...

I usually wash my bike every other week (not for past one month) and lube it with fresh engine oil immediately, after going for a spin and warming up the chain.

Will lube the chain again, it is clean from dust and debre though. Will get that kinks checked out on monday.

Thanks scott.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, no problem.

Is the chain at about 2" Total up and down play???

Just as a side note, I got my bike used with about 4,500 miles on the clock. The chain was lubed ONCE in TWO YEARS (thru rain, etc)(I knew the PO owner).

I managed to get clean it up and get it to 12,000 miles before it needed changing out.

Bottom line, if you bought the bike used with that chain, you won't know how it was maintained. Most chains, if maintained will go 2-3 times that mileage.

**Make sure your front sprocket is tight also while your there....

BTW,
The S2 owners manual calls for 10w40 weight oil.
The S2 Yamaha shop manual calls for either 10w30 OR 20w40

I personally like the 10w40, but the 5wt30 is a bit thin IMO.

Also, make sure your checking the oil WITHOUT SCREWING IN THE DIP STICK and try to check it in the same amount of time, every time...

I park my bike in the exact same spot on the side stand overnight. I can check the oil DEAD COLD and its about 1/2 way up the stick(this is AFTER verifying the amount is correct hot). So without doing anything or being concerned about drain back, etc, I'll know if the level dropped or raised W/O question...

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, no problem.

Is the chain at about 2" Total up and down play???

Just as a side note, I got my bike used with about 4,500 miles on the clock. The chain was lubed ONCE in TWO YEARS (thru rain, etc)(I knew the PO owner).

I managed to get clean it up and get it to 12,000 miles before it needed changing out.

Bottom line, if you bought the bike used with that chain, you won't know how it was maintained. Most chains, if maintained will go 2-3 times that mileage.

**Make sure your front sprocket is tight also while your there....

BTW,
The S2 owners manual calls for 10w40 weight oil.
The S2 Yamaha shop manual calls for either 10w30 OR 20w40

I personally like the 10w40, but the 5wt30 is a bit thin IMO.

Also, make sure your checking the oil WITHOUT SCREWING IN THE DIP STICK and try to check it in the same amount of time, every time...

I park my bike in the exact same spot on the side stand overnight. I can check the oil DEAD COLD and its about 1/2 way up the stick(this is AFTER verifying the amount is correct hot). So without doing anything or being concerned about drain back, etc, I'll know if the level dropped or raised W/O question...

This picture is from yesterday, wanted to take some pictures, as I missed the fall colors, due to my India trip.
I washed my bike, then took it to the location, and when I came back, I lubed it with fresh oil. Yes, I don't screw the dip stick when looking at the level of oil.
Here is the video, showing the chain's tightness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiuA6GMtAPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-hP0oY10o

The second video is about: My rear tire used to rotate even when in neutral, but it is now not rotating.
like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8mPd26bjgY

Don't be alarmed from the lube around the bike, it was from yesterday, over sprayed oil.

Note: I have decided to change the oil and filter every 2000-2500 miles, due to my ride is less than 10 miles per day and the weather is cold, whenever I fire her up, I get 1800-2000 idle, reduced to 1200 in a couple of mins.

And also, that 5w30 should not be used in hot temp like Florida on motorcycles, and keeping that in mind, I thought I could use it in this weather.
Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 8.30.28 PM.jpg

thumb_DSC_2840_1024.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the one video, the chain is too tight.

I find it best to lay on the floor, take a tape measure.

Now, pull DOWN the chain somewhat taught and CENTER A LINK PIN on say the 3" mark. Then, push that same link up, measuring how far it goes. Yours is closer to 1.5, maybe less. Mine about hits the swingarm at full droop, I can see yours probably won't.

You have to remember, once off the centerstand the chain tightens up, by quite a bit.

Re the oil. Its your bike, those weights are what YAMAHA recommends, not me... IMO, I'd be sticking with the recommended weight....

Did you have 5 weight in the engine before it apparently started burning it? Or was it 10w ? ? if that's the only thing that's changed and now you have an issue, that's likely your new issue..

Its just as hot up there and across the US, sometimes hotter than Florida. With that said, you also have water cooling, oil/water cooling to the engine, Its EXTREMLY RARE my fan comes on. My digital temp stays 90% of the time, about 172.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But a small tap, with some frequency, under my feet, when the clutch is closed????? and the engine is still running (I have to try turning off the engine once).

Are you moving and the clutch engaged and in gear, (UNDERWAY) when you feel the tapping?

Or is this when your stopped sitting still?

(for the clutch,Please don't used "open or closed", it doesn't make sense, either engaged on not engaged).. Tks..

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
From the one video, the chain is too tight.

I find it best to lay on the floor, take a tape measure.

Now, pull DOWN the chain somewhat taught and CENTER A LINK PIN on say the 3" mark. Then, push that same link up, measuring how far it goes. Yours is closer to 1.5, maybe less. Mine about hits the swingarm at full droop, I can see yours probably won't.

You have to remember, once off the centerstand the chain tightens up, by quite a bit.

Re the oil. Its your bike, those weights are what YAMAHA recommends, not me... IMO, I'd be sticking with the recommended weight....

Did you have 5 weight in the engine before it apparently started burning it? Or was it 10w ? ? if that's the only thing that's changed and now you have an issue, that's likely your new issue..

Its just as hot up there and across the US, sometimes hotter than Florida. With that said, you also have water cooling, oil/water cooling to the engine, Its EXTREMLY RARE my fan comes on. My digital temp stays 90% of the time, about 172.

I had a slight decrease in oil level with 10w too, but I observed only once, that I went before an oil change. Sure, I'm switching back to 10W40 and never look back from now on.
I'll make a video tomorrow morning, in daylight for that chain tension.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
raja777m;620282 1. Weather around is ranging 25-60F for the past few days. When I received the bike from the mechanic said:
dip stick is dry on side stand,[/B] and |X|X|X|X|X|*

The oil needs to BE CHECKED ON THE CENTERSTAND.

Checking on the sidestand will naturally give a lower reading, the oil is over on the left (kick stand side) of the sump.....

This is probably your oil issue..

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, ok.

As I mentioned earlier, once you have it topped off correctly, you CAN check it cold ON THE STAND STAND EVERYDAY to check for changes.

For my bike, hot its to the top hash marks. Cold and on the side stand(sat overnight), its about half ways up.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When it comes to oil, my bike doesn't need to be topped off after an oil change, the level remains constant until I change the oil again, which is around every 3-4000 miles.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did i read that right; engine oil on the chain?
I'm thinking there are better products out there. Although, IME few last 400 miles. Esp the synthetic ones.
I'm sure engine oil works at the expense of mess & repeated applications. How many miles do you go before lube?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Your welcome but FI reminded me about the motor oil, I just looked it up and posted..

Did you get a chance to look for any kinking in the chain?

Thanks Randy.
I couldn't get a video on chain tension using a tape yet.

After the chain got lubed (with that motor oil), I did not feel any knocking sound today.
I've tried a handful of times to check it, going fast at 50-70 mph and closing the clutch, didn't feel much. It hasn't been lubed for past 6 weeks (3 weeks I went to India, 3 weeks, it was used daily, in rain and shine and left outside overnight in the mist/light snow)

Last edited: