Oil filter open..

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I admitted that I screwed it up :( ...this morning, I went ahead to change the oil, cold-change...

Last time it was KM filter with little nut on the-end, it was easy to open the KM oil filter. And I used Mobile 1 oil filter. I must have had tighten little hard last time with the oil filter wrench-cap (I could have done it by hand..my bad)

Today, I tried to open the oil filter, it's slipped and slipped. I used oil filter piler which didn't work, little too hard on the grip deformed the end of the oil filter. I tried to use another oil fitler wrench cap which then didn't work either.

I heard someone had to screw through the oil filter to get the grip in order to unscrew/open the oil filter.

Anyone please help to give me some method/suggestion to open this slippery oil filter or it's only way to open it by screwing the big screw through the oil filter to open it...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I admitted that I screwed it up :( ...this morning, I went ahead to change the oil, cold-change...

Last time it was KM filter with little nut on the-end, it was easy to open the KM oil filter. And I used Mobile 1 oil filter. I must have had tighten little hard last time with the oil filter wrench-cap (I could have done it by hand..my bad)

Today, I tried to open the oil filter, it's slipped and slipped. I used oil filter piler which didn't work, little too hard on the grip deformed the end of the oil filter. I tried to use another oil fitler wrench cap which then didn't work either.

I heard someone had to screw through the oil filter to get the grip in order to unscrew/open the oil filter.

Anyone please help to give me some method/suggestion to open this slippery oil filter or it's only way to open it by screwing the big screw through the oil filter to open it...

Either punch a hole thrru the filter with a large screw driver and use that as your "wrench", or if you have a set of large channel locks, use those.

Of course it'll crush down more eventually until you can turn it..

Think that K&N lil nut is worth it??

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil filters are supposed to be hand-tightened, 3/4 to 1 full turn after the gasket makes contact.

I have a strap wrench I use, looks like this
strap-wrench.jpg

The screwdriver trick I've never had to use, but you take a phillips screwdriver, and jab it through the filter, and use it as a lever to unscrew it.
oil-filter-removal.jpg

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
So two method:
1. jabbing on the side and use it as the lever with philip driver to turn? Do I have to jab it through or just enough to stick the screw driver in in order to turn it ..like I have to jab the screw driver to the oil filter core in order to screw it??
2. Opening the end of oil filter to expose the inner part and use the driver to unscrew it...is the inside of the of oilfilter having something I can grab on to turn? I haven't punched yet the end of oilfilter but asking before I'm doing so

Sorry,,,I felt desperate since this morning as I was expecting this was like 15 min like last time I did but it's turning out the whole morning and yet ...thanks for anyone help!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As said by Scott, large channel locks are gonna be better in the long run as you have limited space to rotate.

An old timing belt and vise grips works too but that tool up there by Matt is life savor!

TIP: add a film of NEW engine oil to the O-Ring on the new filter before installing. It usually makes it easier to remove the next time.

Good Luck!

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
My unforgettable mistake that I never never again use the oil-filter cap to tight it....should only use by hand-tightening!

I finally got it off, 45 min exact pierced through 6 holes ...man it's suck!

This time, I hand-tight the oil filter Mobile1 oil filter again

My FZ6 is 2007, blue and 18K miles and I just found another possible waterpump issue? I will create another thread to get any of your's experienced input whether mine might due to waterpump replacement!

Thank you all for on this - specially the screw driver jabbing - awesome!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil filters WILL tighten up over time with the heating and cooling cycles.

I have a K&P Cast aluminum, re-usable filter (with a special cup for installation and removal). Piece of cake to install and remove..

I torque both the filter AND the drain plug to 12 ft lbs..

I did ditch the drain plug crush washer for a copper drain plug waser which is re-usable as well. Never had an issue/leak..

Last edited: