Oil filter question

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Hawdy people!

I'm new to both the motorcycling world and to this forum. I bought an 06 FZ6 a couple of days ago, got all my gear and I'm scheduled to take the MSF this coming weekend.

I bought the bike on 2000 miles for $3200. It had been sitting around for some time and now I wanna do some maintenance work in the coming few days before I get my license.

One of the things I wanted to do first is to change the oil and the oil filter. So I went to my local bike shop and bought 4liters Maxima Premium 4 oil (10w40) and got a filter that the guy said would fit my bike. After I got back I decided to check the documentation just in case and it turns out the filter I bought is 5DM-13440-00 (used on FZS600) and the filter I need is 5GH-13440-00.

So my question is, do you think I should return this filter or should I just go with it :confused:? The dealership/bike shop I got it from had a ton of yamaha's both for sale and in service so I'm thinking the probably know what they're doing but I thought I'd ask you guys too.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

ZS

I dont have a lot of info on filters but i just changed mine and although the parts store charged me for the right filter they pulled the wrong one from stock.Needed Wix 51358 but got 51359---same size but fine threads instead of coarse,,a person could really bugger up the threads on their bike if forced on.

I use the Mobil 1 M110 its a long filter, fits perfect on the FZ6 and its done an awesome job so far.

IMHO :scared:

These oil and filter threads can get dangerous.

Yeah I didn't want to flame any fires. But when I read the post and the replies and found out more about what the dealer was telling him, I got kinda pissed off. I mean you go to the dealership for expert advice. You buy what they tell you to, thinking that they are selling you a good product. The dealer gives themselves a really good markup on everything they sell. It's like you pay for their expert advice on the products they sell you. And what advice did he get?

1. Buy more oil than he needs
2. Buy a crappy oil filter (see the link I provided.)

Again, that pissed me off.....
Sorry if I scared anyone!

Yeah quite frankly I got quite pissed too. I am planning on buying more stuff and I'm sure I won't go back there again.

Does Autozone sell motorcycle stuff too? If anyone reading this thread is from the Framingham, MA area let me know where you guys buy your parts from. I just moved in a day a go so I'm pretty new to everything :)

Advance autoparts stocks mobil one in all flavors including motorcycle, and both the mobil one and purolator pure one in all flavors.

Just saying you know. I am a huge fan of the pure one, but since they are being total douchebags about thier new chrome harley filter I will use the mobil one filter from now on. Tooling down the road on my hog my ass.

^^ Thanks for the info! I went to a nearby autozone and they had the M1-110 in stock so I got it from there.

:rockon::rockon:

Get a better filter than FRAM. Take a look at this site:
OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Fram

FRAM sucks and so does your local bike dealer.
Take your money some place else.

During my last visit to the chain Cycle Gear I was surprised to see that this major motorcycle parts retailer carries Fram oil filters. Huh? This might be the worse oil filter that money can buy and CG carries them? However, I guess even FRAM meets OEM requirements.

Back