Oil Viscosity

Reaction score
www.advancedplatingtech.com
So I'm running Valvoline 20W-50 (motorcycle-specific) oil in the bike now. The temperature outside is right in the gray area where the owner's manual suggests 10W-40 vice 20W-50. I chose 20W-50 because summer is coming soon and it's about to get HOT in Florida. The 20W-50 is pretty thick stuff. I'm not sure what grade was in the bike when I picked it up from the dealership, but since putting 20W-50 in it seems like there is SLIGHTLY more vibration from the motor around 3k-7k, and I hear SLIGHTLY more valve noise at idle. This may also all be my imagination because it's my baby and I'm hypersensitive about it. I will admit that when it comes to my machines, I am uber-sensitive to noises to the point of driving myself looney.

Does anyone have similar experience? Is it even anything to be concerned about?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all in your mind! :BLAA:

I run 5W-40 from 40F - 105F and the bike runs smooth as silk!

The second number in the oil grade is what matters. 40 or 50 wt. are both fine, 30 wt. is too thin. Car engines run on 5W-30. The reason bikes with wet clutches need heavier weight oils is the transmission...it likes a thicker oil.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Your manual says to use 20w50? They either changed it from the '07 model or you read incorrectly. My '07 manual says 10w30 for 10 degrees on up and 20w40 for 40 degrees on up.

It's your bike, do as you see fit and are comfortable with.

Reaction score
I saw that in the 2007 Service Manual (that I got from Boneman's site), the oil recommended is 10W-30 or 20W-40. However, I downloaded the 2009 owner's manual directly from Yamaha's website and I guess for the 2009 model year they changed the spec. It definitely says 10W-40 or 20W-50.

How much vibration and valve noise is normal for these bikes? I can hear the valves clearly when I fire up the bike and it's idling, but that seems normal. As far as vibration, I can feel it when cruising if I squeeze the tank with my legs, and can feel it in my hands a bit, but again, I'm not sure what is normal and what is paranoia. Bear with me, it's my first bike!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw that in the 2007 Service Manual (that I got from Boneman's site), the oil recommended is 10W-30 or 20W-40. However, I downloaded the 2009 owner's manual directly from Yamaha's website and I guess for the 2009 model year they changed the spec. It definitely says 10W-40 or 20W-50.

How much vibration and valve noise is normal for these bikes? I can hear the valves clearly when I fire up the bike and it's idling, but that seems normal. As far as vibration, I can feel it when cruising if I squeeze the tank with my legs, and can feel it in my hands a bit, but again, I'm not sure what is normal and what is paranoia. Bear with me, it's my first bike!

Most in-line 4 cylinders (especially the FZ6) will have an inherent slight buzz, just the design of the engine. That why the foot peg brackets are rubber mounted, rider pegs have rubber inserts too. Foam "Grip Puppies" take care of most vibs in the handle grips (takes some getting used to but very comfy). Check ALL your engine mounting bolts that their torqued to spec. I've found one or two slightly loosen up over time and cause a new vibration.

If your throttle sync is out beyond spec's it'll vibrate more. I adjust mine both at idle and at 4,000 RPM's for the smoothest performance. Keeping the bike in tune helps as well.

Also, I run Mobil one full synthetic 10W40, motorcycle specific oil in it. I do notice I get slightly less vibes(again, very little, but noticable in my butt/seat, right side), once the OIL is FULLY warmed up (not just the water temp).

From what you describe, your bike sounds normal.

My 07 owners manual calls for 10w30 or 20W40 for the warmer temps. With what I've noticed (until the oil gets fully hot), it wouldn't surprise me your bike does get just a little more vibes with the heavier oil. Most engine wear is during start up.

I'm farther south than you are(IE warmer yet), and IMHO, I wouldn't use 20W50 oil, just a tad thick for start up, even in Florida. You want the oil flowing quickly upon start up to protect vital parts... With the 50, that would make sense getting a little more vib's.

I'm very attune to noises, feelings, etc to my bike and do indeed notice a new vib, different vibe etc.

Congrates on the new bike BTW!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, it seems that the majority of folks run a lighter oil. Next oil change I will switch to 10W-40. I'll do the change a bit sooner than I normally would; it's not going to hurt anything to have 20W-50 in there for 2000 miles.

Thanks for all the replies!