One thing I didn't expect about freeway riding...

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
... Is that everyone wants to race/pass me and then slow down. I can't help but wonder if it's an ego thing. Ex: "Gotta be faster than that motorcycle. Look at that chump..." I didn't used to understand why motorcyclists zip around and pass everyone, but I feel FAR safer even as an inexperienced rider doing 80mph+ in surges moving from safe zone to safe zone rather than getting boxed in, getting stuck in blind spot after blind spot, having tow trucks blow right past inches from me when I have a car on the other side, etc. ad nauseam.

Since buying my FZ6 less than a week ago, I've now been cut off more than 6 times on the freeway and today alone I've had 2 cars pull out in front of me in the same parking lot. Today was only the second time I've even ridden it. They really just don't even bother to look at all. You can have all the right-of way you want and it isn't going to undo the damage you'll sustain if you get hit either... I've used the horn on my bike more today than I've used the horn on my car in months. :shakehead:

I fully understand now that it isn't so much the act of riding that's that dangerous, it's the negligence of the car drivers.

To every motorcyclist that has zipped past me in the past and caused me to mutter "Look at this moron..." I am truly sorry. It was 60% jealousy, and 40% utter ignorance.:spank:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So true...

Just some friendly tips from years of riding;

Most importantly, Ride like your invisable!

Expect that car to pull out on you, have an escape routewhen/if it does... You may have the right of way but if your dead, it really dosn't matter..

Practice emergency stopping, procedures, using both brakes (which will vary in different circumstances-sandy surface, mostly if not all rear brake, etc). Practice, practice, practice.

Keep your bike in top shape and know its limits...

Know your limits.

I try to keep ahead of the cages. If that can't be done, leave a large space ahead of you and watch traffic way up the road. You don't want to be in a blind spot of a cage. Its hard enough to see you anyway. Again, leave yourself an opening, just in case..

A somewhat debateable subject BUT, with aftermarket, louder pipes, its EXTREMLY rare I use my horn (open Scorp's).

Out of town traffic is terrible down here, especially during season. For the driver ahead of me texting at the light, a quick blip (maybe 2,500 RPM's) gets them going.

Same in traffic, let adjacent cars know your there, they'll 95% of the time hear you and NOT see you.. Unless I'm burried way in the back of a pack, I work my way forward safely. Once up front, its pretty easy to stay there and keep your eye on what's behind you. The bike will accelerate much faster than a cage W/O trying, get way out there and away from potential threats..

Speaking of horns, look into after market air horns. Thier not terribly expensive, are 10x louder than stock AND WILL catch someones attention. (Stebel is about the most popular)

The more time in the saddle, the more comfy you'll be.

Ride safe..

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, you have to ride with the thinking that you are invisible, because most drivers do not see you. You can help yourself by making sure you stay visible by choosing the correct lane and position within the lane factoring in the traffic around you as well as the type of roadway and surroundings. You can also wear some high-viz gear, although it's not a guarantee that everyone will see it but it is much better than black or gray gear. Installing headlight modulators is also an option, legal for motorcycles to have them. You do realize your FZ6 speedo reads about 8mph faster anything above 45-50mph, assuming you have stock gearing. It's a bit more accurate at slower speeds.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of speed, and if your going slower than everyone else BUT YOUR SPEEDOMETER says your faster (as noted above^^),
Speedohealer and another company make electronic units that plug and play into the electrical system.

You can adjust it to have the speedometer read higher or lower. I have mine set easily within .3 MPH of the TRUE SPEED, going by my GPS.

Keeping up with traffic (and knowing if your too slow or too fast) is an important thing to know as well. Plus 100 on lane location for being seen depending on circumstances..

Last edited:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They told me that I would feel comfortable after about 1000 miles of riding on the road ( I grew up on dirt bikes). But for me, it was more like 5,000 miles. after a while you will feel more comfortable with your surroundings and know when to alert a driver who may be thinking about occupying your lane space. While it's debatable, louder than stock pipes do help signal that you may be in their blind spot. If nothing else you will notice some people looking around when you are approaching with louder pipes wondering where the noise is coming from. Another excellent idea is the aftermarket horn. If you have to use one, you have to make sure that it can be heard. I believe one of the most important modifications is the dual headlight mod. Do it if it is not done. Much like you, I had many more people pull out in front me prior to that mod.
As stated previously, try to stay visible. I'm not one to wear a high vis jacket, I prefer leather, but I chose white as my helmet color, because white can be the most visible.
Stay calm, relax and you will be fine.:thumbup:

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for sharing your experience. As a new rider I really appreciate you taking the time. I've definitely got the bug and it seems my days are filled with nothing but motorcycles.:rockon:

I was already planning on adding additional lighting to my bike and helmet for visibility's sake, as well as the aftermarket pipes, though I didn't think of a louder horn. After new tires, these additions will definitely be coming sooner than later.

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a higher visibility jacket, and the difference in being noticed is like night and day.

2012-revit-airwave-jacket-silver-neon-yellow.jpg

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
Well... Get used to it!

People in cars drive like dumbs because they have no idea how it is to ride a motorcycle, they should try it and see what's good.

And you are right, on freeway cars always like to measure against motorcycles more often if they are sports type... It must be really an ego thing for sure.

When behind always make sure you can see the drivers face on the mirrors that way you know he can see you.

Always use four to five times more attention than on a car, you are invisible for most of the drivers.

As for using loud pipes... Only made the difference on lane splitting when cars where stopped and opened space for me to pass, on other situations never felt the difference.

Avoid dark color motorcycles, and don't wear a black helmet, these things work very well in order to help you be seen.

"V"

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... Get used to it!

People in cars drive like dumbs because they have no idea how it is to ride a motorcycle, they should try it and see what's good.

And you are right, on freeway cars always like to measure against motorcycles more often if they are sports type... It must be really an ego thing for sure.

When behind always make sure you can see the drivers face on the mirrors that way you know he can see you.

Always use four to five times more attention than on a car, you are invisible for most of the drivers.

As for using loud pipes... Only made the difference on lane splitting when cars where stopped and opened space for me to pass, on other situations never felt the difference.

Avoid dark color motorcycles, and don't wear a black helmet, these things work very well in order to help you be seen.

"V"

HAHA My bike is silver and DARK Blue, and my riding gear and helmet is black. Then again, motorcycles do seem to attract rule-breakers...

I'm probably just going to cover myself in electroluminescent wire.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you get ready (if) for louder pipes (mine definitly catch other drivers / pedestrians attention). Search or post. There's numerous threads, You Tube has numerous sound threads as well.

I consider them a safety item as a plus. I put the pipes on for some sound. The additional awareness is a plus.

Same for the aftermarket horn.

And plus 100 for the dual headlight mod. BD43 makes an excellent plug and play kit(no hacking!). Maybe an hour installing.

Hyper lights (and some other companies) makes flashing LED brake lights, combo running/brake lights. Highly recommended and it acts as a second running light should the stock bulb (only one) burn out. Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on visibility
I ride a yellow naked bike, white helmet ,fluro vest over blk winter jkt ,blue mesh summer jkt and blk/ yellow leather jkt depending on weather
Stebel horn and loud pipes,
Reflective rim tape, swing arm stickers and hyperlites
Dont know what else to do except be vigilant-
in-attentive drivers (but very attentive texters) and professional drivers like taxis are still in my experience the biggest problem on the roads

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The only safe way to ride on a freeway is to stay in the safe zones, stay out of blind spots and keep to the outside of your lane when passing a car or truck as many of them swerve lanes without even looking. Once you get several thousand miles down on freeways it really isn't all that bad anymore, you learn to predict traffic and avoid the crazies. I've put down 35,000 miles on street motorcycles and never had any real close calls with cars but I would have if I were not ready to react at any given second. :thumbup: