Oxford heated grips install help...

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Hey all,

So I just attempted a combo upgrade, FZ1 bars with heated grips. The FZ1 bars went on relatively painlessly, took a few hours, and it was dark by the time I finished. Regardless, I took a ride and I love how they feel, although I'm tempted to look into bar risers as I crushed my thumb walking the bike out of my driveway...the lack of bar clearance above the tank is definitely something to get used to... :rolleyes:

Anyway, on to the problem. I installed heated grips (Oxford HotGrips - webBikeWorld), and wired them into my relay system. When I had purchased the bike I set up a relay per these instructions:

.: Distribution Block / Powered Relay | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

So I wired in the heated grips and there was a 5 amp fuse right before the positive end. After riding and realizing the little LED that indicates the grips are on was not lit, I checked, and the fuse was blown. So I put in a 10 amp fuse...it sparked and blew as soon as I turned the key. Same with a 20 amp fuse...now I am no electrical engineer, but I know my 12v cigarette lighter socket works great at charging my droid, so the relay system does work...I am just not sure why the grips don't like it.

As I am sitting here in bed typing this, I have a humiliating thought, did I somehow mix the positive and negative ends of my power block when attaching the grips??? :eek: I don't want to think I would make that mistake, but I suppose it's possible. :banghead: Ill check in the morning, but I'm guessing that could cause the fuse to blow...

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed the same heated grips on my FZ1 bars without a problem. Just wired in a 5 prong relay into the rear light wire under the left hand rear panel. I'm no elecrical guru, so can't really offer you any real advice, sorry :(

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Red positive, black negative..... some very simple devices are not sensitive to polarity; most are. If your cigarette lighter socket supplies power to your phone without issue, you have the polarity correct on the bus.

I would expect when you tear this down and look closely, you will see a pinched wire somewhere. If you have broken through the insulation and have bare wire exposed contacting the frame (or any bare metal), this is exactly what would happen.

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
I'm officially and idiot. :rolleyes:

I had the polarity mixed up connecting the grips to my power block. Once that was fixed the lights came on signifying the grips were active! I didn't use them on the way to work since it was nice out--but then it started to rain, so I flicked them on during the ride back. The lights came on, but they didn't seem to get very hot, in fact I couldn't even tell that they were on. As soon as I pulled into my garage, I took my gloves off and felt the grips. They weren't even warm. I check the fuse again, it was fine, so just for kicks I turned the key and tried flipping them on again. I waited for a minute or two, and now were definitely warming up. :confused:

Ah well, I appreciate the responses, if anyone has any thoughts they wouldn't hurt to hear. I'll break it down tomorrow night if I have time, double check all of my connections, etc. Probably something simple.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you start them on the highest or lowest setting? Most electric things(motors, coils, heaters, etc) need to have full power at start up.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Each time you turn them on it reverts to the lowest power setting. Each and every time I immediately turned them up to 100%.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

That's normal. Mine come on at minimum, then I turn them up straight away. Never needed them at max though. -5 Celcius, the 3rd setting is enough.