P40 found in the desert

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The find...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFe8CsOdoG8&feature=relmfu]Crush Air plane 1 Movie.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the pics you can see the guns are still in the wings!If it had been near a village or a road it would have been found and stripped years ago. I'd say not much hope for the pilot surviving ?? Hope it is saved and restored...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LsK74J_W0&feature=player_embedded"]Crush Air plane 2 movie.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

My guess is it's in North Africa somewhere. That's a British insignia on it so it would be a Curtiss P40 Tomahawk. The same plane as a P40 Warhawk was used with the American Volunteer Group of the Chinese Air Force to fight the Japanese... as the Flying Tigers. Not being supercharged it was a slower plane with limited abilities.

It's possible that after crash landing it was covered by sand then eventually uncovered over the last 70 years. What was disturbing was seeing the one guy yanking on the canopy trying to open it. My first thought is to get people away from it, have it thoroughly documented and photographed, notify the British government of the find, etc. The pilot may have been reported MIA, KIA or whatever and this may help answer some questions as to his whereabouts or at least his final resting place. With the canopy closed I'd be inclined to think he didn't bail out so either died inside or made it out and closed the canopy back up.

I dunno. I love stuff like this.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess is it's in North Africa somewhere. That's a British insignia on it so it would be a Curtiss P40 Tomahawk. The same plane as a P40 Warhawk was used with the American Volunteer Group of the Chinese Air Force to fight the Japanese... as the Flying Tigers. Not being supercharged it was a slower plane with limited abilities.

Yeah...guess I should actually watch the video before commenting... I've just heard too many stories about WWII planes in BFE Nevada.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
That is really really cool. I too wonder about the pilot. Any way you can identify the "ID number" of the plane? Maybe shoot out some letters or emails to the Air Force (I'm assuming its American based on google searches, I may be mistaken though).

Perhaps they can ID the plane tell you a little bit more about the pilot, his mission, and maybe even the whereabouts of the pilot.

Logic would tell me he was flying towards his objective, or at least perhaps flying back to base. What direction is the plane facing? Are there any air force bases in that direction? Perhaps he made it out and started walking that direction?

VERY interesting, if I were you - I'd try to look into it more. Maybe even contact Unsolved Mysteries haha!

Thanks for the share, very cool.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool find. Airplane is in remarkable condition, considering it crashed 70 years or so ago...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2