Pants vs. overpants for first-time FZ6 winter rider

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to riding (March 2013) -- just took my second bike bonding course with the FZ6 2 weeks ago in pouring rain, and I was wearing non-waterproof gloves and jeans. :eek:

My first stab at riding kit includes:
  • Arai Signet-Q helmet (oval noggin')
  • Tourmaster Intake Air 3.0 jacket
  • Tourmaster Response 2.0 WP boots
  • Bilt Sprint gloves (shorty, vented leather gloves)
After that experience, I've been trying to decide what pants to get for riding in fickle Georgia winter weather (sometimes 60F, sometimes 20F, in-between rainy), and the choices and costs are just mind boggling.

Suggestions for ANY brand pants (do I pack jeans or khakis to change into) vs. overpants (strip off the layers when I get to work) would be helpful. I'm 5'9", 200lbs and a 38" jeans at the hips, 41' measurement at the belly button -- so I gotta find something that's good for less than skinny men.

BTW, you may notice I like the Tourmaster stuff -- it's not top of the line, but it's affordable and I've not had issues with my jacket or boots. Gonna write a review about both on the site this week, if they're not already written.

Thanks!

nthdegreeburns

Last edited:

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't ride much in rain, only when get caught by passing showers, but as far as cold riding, I just use full thermal under my clothes and that works good enough to keep my compfty and I have ridden in high 20s low 30s degree weather, still do since it's 30 here every morning, as long as it's not wet and I don't have to worry about black ice, I'm game. I just need to upgrade my gloves to something warmer

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy fellow Georgian!

It's expensive and cut slim, but Dianese is what I use and it gets the job done. Jacket and pants have 2 liners -- one waterproof, one thermal.

I would recommend that set up. It should work with any decent brand. The dainese stuff is (so far) watertight and the thermal layer does its job, although there's a little draft sometimes. The point is that our weather conditions change rapidly, so you can tear out all the liners for 60 degree dry days and put them all in for cold rainy days.

I don't need to tell you not to skimp on waterproof pants -- after riding a few miles of the BRP with a pool of water in my crotch I decided waterproof pants were in order.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My experience: Overpants work great and are easier to use for commuting, since you can pull them off without having to go to the bathroom/locker room/etc. BUT.. the work pants underneath WILL get wrinkled. Sometimes badly. This is not acceptable for me.
So, my setup for cold weather is: heavy weight long johns + regular riding pants (any brand will do.. mine have knee and hip protection and I use them all year round.. fine in 30 degrees and fine in 100 degrees.. they're vented). And I carry Bilt 2-piece rain suit with me.. one of the better items made by built (most of their stuff is cheap and junky, but the rain suit has held up really well and it was very inexpensive).

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of tour master pants that come with the rain and thermal liners.. I have ridden in them up to about 45F and they worked just fine.. Look up Eastern Mountain Sports for there level 2 teckwick pants and shirt. they are my go to thermals for riding and they do a great job of letting you stay warm, but not too warm!!

good luck with gear purchase!!!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I get to wear jeans at work every day, I went with the overpants. Kinda bulky but (for me) it beats changing when I get there. I went cheap and bought ICON brand but my other gear is much better (Alpinestars jacket and Dianese gloves). I'm not always a good boy and wear the pants :spank:, but I always wear the rest of my gear.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree mostly with Erci. You have to remember most of your riding will be in the summer-and it's the most enjoyable too so I recommend sizing the pants for less bulk meaning no room for two layers of pants. Merino wool long under wear will work for when it's cold-especially for GA! Light rain gear over the top handles every thing else and it packs up small for touring, and of course it could be worn if you're really cold.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of Tourmaster Overpant. Love them, they are a little warm. Must be under 60 degrees for me to even think about wearing them, but I run hot. I believe they have different inseam options (I got a tall). I had the Intake 3.0 Jacket and thought it was great. I recently got the Transition Series 3 Jacket and like it a lot. However I'm having a little issue if I don't have the back vent open then it fills the jacket with air, and literally was so tight at the armpit it was cutting off circulation to my arms and they were going to sleep. No bueno. With the vent all the way open, no problem though.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Cortech Cargo pants that I use as overpants during the winter and when not wearing leathers, they work good with med to heavy thermals. Not water proof, but can handle a light rain. For rainy days I use Frogg Toggs, great in the rain, high viz, and keeps you warm and dry.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you recently took a bike bonding class, your completion card (assuming it's MSF) qualifies for a 15% discount at Cycle Gear.

With the morning temps dipping down to single digits, I recently broke down and inserted my waterproof liners inside my Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants. It snowed this morning on my way to work, but since it was so cold, the snow just blew away. I'm lucky, I can wear jeans at work, so I just wear my motorcycle boots all day at work too. In fact the last time I purchased a pair of sneakers was back in 2006. Ask me how many pairs of motorcycle boots, it will be a much different figure.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy fellow Georgian!

It's expensive and cut slim, but Dianese is what I use and it gets the job done. Jacket and pants have 2 liners -- one waterproof, one thermal.

Is the Dianese mesh or leather? I prefer mesh or textile over leather. And, yeah, the Dianese would NOT fit my fat ass, LOL!

I would recommend that set up. It should work with any decent brand. The dainese stuff is (so far) watertight and the thermal layer does its job, although there's a little draft sometimes. The point is that our weather conditions change rapidly, so you can tear out all the liners for 60 degree dry days and put them all in for cold rainy days.

I have the mesh 3 layer jacket -- mesh + rain liner (which worked OK the other week) + warm liner (which i've never used). I talked to a vendor tonight and learned that the Tourmaster Venture Air is the same setup AND an overpant.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
And I carry Bilt 2-piece rain suit with me.. one of the better items made by built (most of their stuff is cheap and junky, but the rain suit has held up really well and it was very inexpensive).

Is the Bilt suit in the same vein as a Frogg Togg rain suit? You just pull it on over your other gear?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of tour master pants that come with the rain and thermal liners.

Which Tourmaster pants models? I'm leaning towards the Venture air since they fit what you described (mesh + rain liner + thermal liner).

I have some of the Bilt Freeze Out thermal leggings (they work -- but hot when you have to stop and go indoors.

Thanks for the feedback!

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree mostly with Erci. You have to remember most of your riding will be in the summer-and it's the most enjoyable too so I recommend sizing the pants for less bulk meaning no room for two layers of pants. Merino wool long under wear will work for when it's cold-especially for GA! Light rain gear over the top handles every thing else and it packs up small for touring, and of course it could be worn if you're really cold.

Good point about the bulk of the overpant. Per the vendor I spoke with all but one model Tourmaster pant is considered an overpant. I've tried the XL Tourmaster overpant (no liners), and it was snug around the waist, so I'd probably go with the Venture Air (pending feedback here), which has the multiple liners.

That said, I have that Intake Air 3.0 multi liner jacket, and it's bulky on me (XL -- L was too small with 2 liners installed) when just running the mesh.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the Intake 3.0 Jacket and thought it was great. I recently got the Transition Series 3 Jacket and like it a lot.

Jinx -- I did this, except in reverse. I tried the Transition Series 3 first and it was too hot to start off riding in Spring 2013. I sent it back and got the Intake Air 3 and have loved it, other than the bulk I mentioned before.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
If you recently took a bike bonding class, your completion card (assuming it's MSF) qualifies for a 15% discount at Cycle Gear.

OMG TYVM for mentioning this. I forgot to use the discount from the 1st MSF Bike Bonding class I took last year in November 2013. I don't remember being told that the Bike Bonding course included a one-time discount.

I DID use my MSF BRC discount on the Arai at CycleGear.

Now I have to find that completion card from the second Bike Bonding course from the other week. Grrr! Could save me on these pants. :Flash:

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to riding (March 2013) ...riding in fickle Georgia winter weather (sometimes 60F, sometimes 20F, in-between rainy), ...(do I pack jeans or khakis to change into) vs. overpants (strip off the layers when I get to work) would be helpful.[/B] I'm 5'9", 200lbs and a 38" jeans at the hips, 41' measurement at the belly button -- so I gotta find something that's good for less than skinny men.
...nthdegreeburns

As a recently former ATL resident, welcome to the best bike forum (IMO :cheer:) on the web. I know the "...fickle Georgia winter weather (sometimes 60F, sometimes 20F, in-between rainy) all too well. Grew up and lived there (with exception of 10yrs Navy) until March of this year. Though I usually avoided the colder days, I would venture out when sunny/dry during winter. Always checked weather report to avoid possibility of wet days, anything above 30% chance was a cage day.

At similar measurements, I'm 5'7", 200lbs with 38" jeans at the hips, 40" at the belly button, I could never find anything for the vertically challenged in two piece over suits, so I stuck with good warm thermal unders and a JR Alter Ego 3.0. A 3 piece jacket with fleece liner, mesh jacket that can be used for summer, and a WP outer jacket. Outer can be used alone on not so cold or wet days.

Good luck in your search for the ultimate riding gear, it usually comes down to what is the most comfortable and best for the situation you're riding in.

Go by the Varsity and have a couple dogs, rings and an FO (that's Frosted Orange if the moderators are watching).

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Another GA resident checking in, taking good pants notes here on this thread, it's the last bit of gear I need to be AGATT.

Do all brands of pants (maybe not all pants, but brands?) have the built-in zipper in the back that can attach your pants to the back of your jacket or is that a BiLT thing? (If they aren't compatible with other brands, I will need to go with BiLT pants to zip into my jacket). Jacket does come with a 'pre-zip' that I could sew into other pants but.. I'd likely take my finger off with the needle.. :D

Greetings to my fellow Jawga brethren!

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I stuck with good warm thermal unders and a JR Alter Ego 3.0. A 3 piece jacket with fleece liner, mesh jacket that can be used for summer, and a WP outer jacket. Outer can be used alone on not so cold or wet days.

See -- I went Intake Air 3 and now wonder if I should've gone Flex 2, which is the Tourmaster equivalent of what you described above.

Go by the Varsity and have a couple dogs, rings and an FO (that's Frosted Orange if the moderators are watching).

Having frequented the Varsity for lunch while working downtown, I'll just say that this is not conducive to maintaining clean riding pants. :thumbup: :D