PCV users

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, how many of us are there? Trying to see if we have a decent knowledge center on the forum. :)

Second, what are your voltages in the Throttle Calibration screen? And does that voltage jump around a little at idle? Mine is locked when the bike is just on, but running at idle
It bounces from .66-.69ish.

I've been working with DJ on an Autotune issue (imagine that!) and just want to rule out some other things. As always, thanks for any help.

Scorpio

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Until i read kazas post (PC 3= power comander 3, so PCV must mean 5) I had no idea what you meant by PCV, the only thing i could think of of was the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve on a car LoL....do our FZ's have one?? hmmmm:confused:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Until i read kazas post (PC 3= power comander 3, so PCV must mean 5) I had no idea what you meant by PCV, the only thing i could think of of was the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve on a car LoL....do our FZ's have one?? hmmmm:confused:
LOL, yeah, I could have been a little more descriptive.

Power Commander 5

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
PC 3 for me. No probs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone who has a 3 says that :)

I really think most problems can be attributed to the Autotune and not the PCV unit itself. Did you have to calibrate Throttle Position on the 3, Karen?

Jeff

nabaah

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PCV and have not had any problems with it. Do not have the autotune for it. I didn't mess around with the throttle calibration. I just have it tapped into the speed wire to run the mapping for all the gears. I use the map from power commander for the the stock air filter with the two bros exhaust. I ran it without the speed wire at first and it seems to run smoother with the speed wire and all gears mapped.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone who has a 3 says that :)

I really think most problems can be attributed to the Autotune and not the PCV unit itself. Did you have to calibrate Throttle Position on the 3, Karen?

Jeff

No. Just installed it. Bought a used one on ebay for a song AND the custom Scorpion map was spot on.

Lucky I guess :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
None?

:)

No wonder, based on my experience...

A PCV is just like a PCIII on with an additional column for throttle position. Lots of posts so the knowledge base is there, you'll just need to look. There's even a thread with several maps posted on it. Use the PCIII to PCV conversion utility and you can try them out.

With autotune you'll chase your tail forever. Sell the autotune device to a Harley rider, and get a custom tune and be happy.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A PCV is just like a PCIII on with an additional column for throttle position. Lots of posts so the knowledge base is there, you'll just need to look. There's even a thread with several maps posted on it. Use the PCIII to PCV conversion utility and you can try them out.

With autotune you'll chase your tail forever. Sell the autotune device to a Harley rider, and get a custom tune and be happy.

I tend to agree with you on the autotune, Hellgate.

I'm looking to get a tune after my vacation; just trying to find the best place. Plan on paying for at least some of it with the sale of the autotune. :)

Scorp

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
None?

:)

No wonder, based on my experience...

I have the PCV + Autotune on my 6R. That's how I customize my map for my 6R Viper Exhaust. Autotune (AT) is alright, it took me a few try to figure how how to work with it. If you did some engine tuning in the pas you will be ok. You kind of need to "read between the line". If you need any tips let me know.

One thing here, AT will lean out on the bottom end more than anything. If you accept the trims, it will change the whole map, not just one section. All you need to do is save the trimed map on a different name. Look at PCV map as a Excel spreadsheet... Copy and Paste! Copy the corrected stuff to the original map and save again, send...

Keep in mine At doesn't work on deceleration! Go up the rev, grab the clutch.

It take time but you can make it happen. I end up with really good maps. Honestly the best for the 6R, whatever exhaust people use.

When you're all done... I'll give you few tips on the Acceleration pump feature. :rockon:

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
First, how many of us are there? Trying to see if we have a decent knowledge center on the forum. :)

Second, what are your voltages in the Throttle Calibration screen? And does that voltage jump around a little at idle? Mine is locked when the bike is just on, but running at idle
It bounces from .66-.69ish.

I've been working with DJ on an Autotune issue (imagine that!) and just want to rule out some other things. As always, thanks for any help.

Scorpio

Don't worry too much about voltage. If you see 0% when the T is close and 100% at WOT you're good.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PCV + Autotune on my 6R. That's how I customize my map for my 6R Viper Exhaust. Autotune (AT) is alright, it took me a few try to figure how how to work with it. If you did some engine tuning in the pas you will be ok. You kind of need to "read between the line". If you need any tips let me know.

One thing here, AT will lean out on the bottom end more than anything. If you accept the trims, it will change the whole map, not just one section. All you need to do is save the trimed map on a different name. Look at PCV map as a Excel spreadsheet... Copy and Paste! Copy the corrected stuff to the original map and save again, send...

Keep in mine At doesn't work on deceleration! Go up the rev, grab the clutch.

It take time but you can make it happen. I end up with really good maps. Honestly the best for the 6R, whatever exhaust people use.

When you're all done... I'll give you few tips on the Acceleration pump feature. :rockon:

All good advice. Have had it up and running for over a year and really feel that PCV is functioning well but the AT is just a hassle. Typically, though, I ride as I normally do for 100 mi or so then Accept trims. This includes my usual downshift and occasional engine braking. Maybe that's why I'm ending up with low rpm sputtering, etc. So you avoid that by clutching it all the time without decel? How long until you accept trims? And how many times do you accept before seeing really small numbers? I've accepted 4 or 5 times over a 500 mile period and still have trims +-20 each time.

Thanks for the advice. BTw, I run the base map with Two Bros and stock Af despite having Scorpions. Also have tried the All gear version with similar results.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
What I end up doing is fine a little back road with no traffic, charge your laptop and go for a ride. Before you go do the following...
Plug in your laptop and make yourself some reference mark on your throttle handle (5, 10, 15, 20, 40, 60, 80 100%

Shift in 2nd gear (idle speed) then scan every throttle opening angles. Start at 5%... once the RPM don't go up anymore, grab the clutch, close the throttle and brake. Start over with 10%... so on. Then accept trims. Don't let it coast, rev down...

If your bike is like mine... like to run fat! 13.0 to 13.8 is the happy window. Due to how fast the engine accelerate... don't go crazy! It's not an exact science. There's so many variable that can change all the time. Weather is the best example. Onc`e you have something that work all right, read between the line and smooth everything out manually.

Since you have an exhaust you should not find any minus (-) anywhere. Stay between 5% to 25% you should be fine. The advance gear option is cool. Like I said the bike like to run fat for good and smooth power. But by the time you get in 5th & 6th gear you can go lean for fuel economy. I put mine around 3% to 5% under 40% throttle and it work fine.

Check out marthymotorcycleexhaustsolution.com and download Viper Can advgear RevB. You will have a good example of what I mean. Give the map a try if you care... it won't hurt anything. My bike rev 12500 only, but I did insert the FZ6 value from TB map above that.... plenty safe!

In the PC option you will find Acceleration Pump. That's the whellie feature. My setting 75%/30Rev/20%, enable the icone... Start with 10% add fuel... go easy on this one. The 6R is so dam slow that I was able to dump +20% of fuel. It kind of get some life out of it! I run +1/-2 and I can easily pop the front wheel off the ground. Not something I was able to do stock with stock ratio.... :)

If there's anything else let me know...

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm considering a PC for my 2009 FZ6 but don't want to worry about mapping and messing up my engine. Are there any pre-made maps that I can use? Also, wheelie mode sounds cool!