Pittsburgh is, it turns out, a bit chilly

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
and by a bit chilly, I mean that my soul is frozen and I'm not sure if it will thaw until Spring. Either way, my bike is my primary (only) vehicle and I need to suck it up. I just moved here from DC where it gets cold but fluctuates more between "pretty cold" and "my eyes hurt because the liquid in them is now solid."

Anyway, my point...

I have been trying to decide on a method for keeping my face warmer. I don't have money to be testing out 30 different ones, so I was wondering what you guys though. I have been using a scarf but this has a tendency to block off the air completely and make me have to open the visor, very counterproductive. I was thinking about getting a balaclava, but will this work well? I have decided (though if you have a better idea, please chirp in) that my 2 best options are:

- a wind skirt and a "do not fog" option for my windscreen (there are a lot)
and
- a balaclava and a "do not fog" option for my windscreen

I commute just about every day about 10-15 minutes into school, just far enough to freeze my ass off but not far enough to warrant anything ridiculous (I have a heated vest but don't use it unless I'm going on a 30 minute+ ride).

Anyone else ride in the 15-20 degree cold and have opinions?

while I'm at it, any opinions on keeping hands warm? I have thick riding gloves but they just don't seem to get the job done. My thumbs in particular hurt like a mother effer by the time I get home every day

Preciate the help

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a thin balaclava made out of a neoprene type material, but it's not a very good one. It helps a little, but not much. If I were to do it again, I'd get a full balaclava made out of yarn or a similar thicker material with cutouts just for the eyes. You may look like a terrorist/burglar, but you'd be warmer. I bet that with a chin skirt to go along with it, it would be pretty effective.

As far as your hands go, I have thick gloves with the Thinsulate liner, and it keeps my hands pretty warm, but I don't have to ride very far from work to home. They have warmers that you can install on your grips and wire into your electrics to keep your hands warm. The best/easiest option is to wire up the grip warmers over your grips and then put grip puppies over them. Or, alternatively, you could just install them under your grips themselves, but it would be more difficult.

So, in conclusion, my suggestion is:

Thick balaclava (beanie material/yarn) w/ cutouts for eyes
Chin skirt for your helmet
Grip warmers
Grip puppies to put over the warmers

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a decent balaclava made by Mountain Hardware. I forget where I got it but you could try REI or Patagonia. Bring your helmet and make sure it works together. When I wear mine it's a really snug fit. Good luck and remember you're on cold tires. :eek:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Check ski shops in those parts or online for quality winter clothing. Thinking your going to need true winter gear.

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
your kidding right ? i live in south central/western pa and we have 2 1/2 feet of snow right now.

..... no amount of "gear" is gonna help u in snow. especially the lake effect snow we have been having. especially in the mountainous regions of western pa

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a thin balaclava made out of a neoprene type material, but it's not a very good one. It helps a little, but not much. If I were to do it again, I'd get a full balaclava made out of yarn or a similar thicker material with cutouts just for the eyes. You may look like a terrorist/burglar, but you'd be warmer. I bet that with a chin skirt to go along with it, it would be pretty effective.

As far as your hands go, I have thick gloves with the Thinsulate liner, and it keeps my hands pretty warm, but I don't have to ride very far from work to home. They have warmers that you can install on your grips and wire into your electrics to keep your hands warm. The best/easiest option is to wire up the grip warmers over your grips and then put grip puppies over them. Or, alternatively, you could just install them under your grips themselves, but it would be more difficult.

So, in conclusion, my suggestion is:

Thick balaclava (beanie material/yarn) w/ cutouts for eyes
Chin skirt for your helmet
Grip warmers
Grip puppies to put over the warmers

I think a thick balaclava might be the way to go. I'm trying to balance convenience with warmth, a helmet skirt could be a step farther than I care for if the balaclava works well enough. The one thing that I already dislike about having a bike as a primary commuter is I can't just walk out the door with my keys, in the winter time especially. I can deal with being just a little cold as long as my nose isn't hanging icicles.

The grip warmers are something I had at one point and I'm considering again, but they tend to take a while to warm up in my experience. I had a snowmobile riding friend suggest barkbusters which look like a pretty good idea. Thick gloves + a wind blocker seems good enough for 20 minute rides. If I decide to ride farther than that I might consider picking up something with electricity though.

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
your kidding right ? i live in south central/western pa and we have 2 1/2 feet of snow right now.

..... no amount of "gear" is gonna help u in snow. especially the lake effect snow we have been having. especially in the mountainous regions of western pa

We've gotten some flurries but nothing serious. I'm fairly well acclimated to driving in crap conditions (heavy downpours, 10 degrees and frozen roads, etc), i've ridden it as my primary mode of transport for 2.5 years now... so I'm also aware of when I need to call my g/f to pick me up ;)

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a

Comfort In Action ST - Wind Plus

balaclava and ride in the teens without head and neck getting cold. Very thin and helmet fits fine with it.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
We've gotten some flurries but nothing serious. I'm fairly well acclimated to driving in crap conditions (heavy downpours, 10 degrees and frozen roads, etc), i've ridden it as my primary mode of transport for 2.5 years now... so I'm also aware of when I need to call my g/f to pick me up ;)

I grew up in PA, I suggest you get a bus pass :D, you are riding on borrowed time right now, once the snow comes prepare for a long winter. But I applaud you for keeping out there as long as you can :thumbup:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been doing long commutes in freezing conditions the last week and it's just no fun! You have my sympathy! For (attempting) to keep warm I use:

A Buff neck tube (a winter one) which is great and very versatile. You can use it just for your neck, pull it up over your nose for a mask or even turn it into a balaclava of sorts (it still is long enough to cover your neck and tuck inside your jacket). I recommend it! But you'll definitely need an anti-fog thing on your visor. I use the pinlock system and it works great.

For the hands, I share your thumb pain! I have thick winter gloves and heated grips but they just keep your palms warm really. You need something to deflect the wind so bar muffs or bark busters are a good idea. Bar muffs are big and clumsy but work well. Plus they can be removed very easily. Bark busters/hand guards are a little more permanent but look better in my opinion.

Ride safe!

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the Phily area and we just got into a cold spell. I have been riding short trips and still freezing. I remember riding in January here with no problems below 20 degrees, when I was 16. Now, my bones ache from it. Guess Im just getting old.