Poker run & drinking: Is it the same everywhere

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Saturday I went with my friend to a ~150 mile poker run to benefit a person with cancer.

For the ones that are not too familiar with this, there are five stops here you pick a card and start building a poker hand. At the end, the person with the highest hand wins certain amount of money.

We got to the registration at about 9:30am (in a sports bar) where people (participating in the poker run were drinking beer already!!!).

There were not too many people participating (i did not know any of them) and they would spend about one hour on each stop (bars) drinking beers.
By the third stop - the level of alcohol was pretty high already - and I felt everybody knew me already since:
1. my friend and I were the only ones not riding HD or cruisers
2. Both of us were the only ones wearing jackets

After the five stops, we would all meet at the starting point since there was music, food, etc.

People were pretty drunk at the sports bar and riding motorcycles!!!!!

I have been to several poker runs before and I have found new places I did not know they existed, for the most part all the stops are at bars, but in this poker run I was really amazed since a lot of people were heavily intoxicated.

I understand that having a cold beer on a hot day is refreshing, but going on a poker run to get drunk riding a bike?

I'm amazed there are no more fatalities associated with this.

Is this the same on the poker runs you have participated?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Not uncommon for the cruiser crowd to drink and ride. That's why they ride Harley TT's (Tavern to Tavern)

All of your observations are why I do not ride poker runs or with the cruiser crowd.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing here is Wisconsin. We have the flood run in this area every spring. 10,000 bikers going from bar to bar. Crazy how they don't think twice about driving a motorcycle drunk. It keeps us from participating!