Poor mileage or driving too fast?

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have an 80 mile commute round trip where it's common to cruise at 80-85. I've noticed my gas mileage isn't very good. I will commonly get only into the high 30s mpg. Is this a problem or is the fz6 engine not that efficient at higher freeway speeds?

Does anyone know about how many miles they get at half tank? Or how about when the first fuel bar disappears?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have an 80 mile commute round trip where it's common to cruise at 80-85. I've noticed my gas mileage isn't very good. I will commonly get only into the high 30s mpg. Is this a problem or is the fz6 engine not that efficient at higher freeway speeds?

Does anyone know about how many miles they get at half tank? Or how about when the first fuel bar disappears?

i cruise at about the same speed when im on the interstate/highway. my bike usually gets about 50-55 like this and the first fuel bar usually lasts 60 miles-ish. my bike is still new though (4500mi) and i always seem to get above 45mpg even when im rippin' it through the backroads:spank: (20-90mph stuff)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 115kms (72mi) return commute per day, the first half at 110kps (68mph) and the rest at 60kph (37mph) and I get mid to low 40mpg.

If I ride it out of town, at or about 100kph (62mph), my mileage improves to roughtly 48 - 50mpg (which is why I'm fitting a 17T front sprocket)

At 80 - 85mph, I'll guarantee you're using a LOT more fuel.

Remember, she's a 600cc - my TDM900 would change very little at or over 100kph, and it's easy to forget the Fizzer isn't a long distance commuter, but wind resistance combined with the relatively low torque peak means less economy.

If you can, try it a couple of days at 70mph, and you'll see a dramatic improvement.

According to my sig, over the last 55 fill-ups, this year alone, my bike usually goes to 'reserve' at 300kms (186mi) and I can get 60kms (37mi) n reserve.

Although every bike is different, so yours will/may vary, I lose my first line at 90kms (56mi), the 2nd at 120 (74.5mi), then 180 (112mi), then 230 (142mi), and last around 300 (186mi) - then it flashes on F Trip until I refuel.

And it's nearly always the same. (within 5kms each way)

Cheers,
Rick

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I only get 30ish on the first bar, 75 at half. I'm going to change the air filter. Hopefully that helps. anything else I should look into to that can cause poor mpg?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The usual suspects:
- tire pressure
- brake drag
- filter/plugs/tune <<The one that likely fixes your issue. . .
- chain maintenance
- rear wheel alignment

IMO my faired 08 I'd say 75 is about the tipping point of dropping mpg but not to 30. Much like Rick, my commute is the same. Out bound is 60mph and homeward I average 18mph so the mpg is 42 on average.

I would love to see you ride a 70 MAX and MAKE NO other changes. Report back after a week. But IMO you have something else going on. It shouldn't be that low.

Also - I'll take a moment and place my bet that Rick doesn't see an improvement with his 17teeth counter sprocket! Again, change nothing and ride the same "ah - corrected speeds" and tell us what you get. :D

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to try driving 70 but it's going to be hard. I-15 in San Diego, even the big rigs are doing 75!!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to see you ride a 70 MAX and MAKE NO other changes. Report back after a week. But IMO you have something else going on. It shouldn't be that low.

Agree - give it a couple of tanks (if you can handle going that slow!)

Also - I'll take a moment and place my bet that Rick doesn't see an improvement with his 17teeth counter sprocket! Again, change nothing and ride the same "ah - corrected speeds" and tell us what you get. :D

With full respect, Chevy, I hope you're wrong!

As I have Fuelly (see sig) my economy or otherwise has been faithfully tracked for 11000mi, so any difference will/should be easy to see.

I understand I'll be moving the bike out of a potential torque point, and wind resistance is a constant, so the applicable change in revs may not give me the improvements I hope for - but, as the speedo is correct to within 1% with 17T/46T, I can ditch the SpeedoTuner and sell it.

Hopefully I get an improvement in mileage, but at least my speedo will be correct with no aftermarket add-ons! (small win?)

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
I constantly watch and track when my gauge goes down. When I go speeds similar to you, 80's, I loose my first bar at about 36 miles and my second in the 60-75 range. When I go speeds of 65-70 which is typical around me, my first bar goes at 44-56 and the second bar 86-94. Normally my fuel gauge says to fill up at between 180-200 miles. I have an '05 with 54k on it. Hope this helps.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know this is typical - my mileage lowers considerably above 85 mph. I got down to the high 30's coming back from AR a couple weeks ago but we were doing 85-90 most of the way back with a headwind.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
You did not mention how many miles on your 07. I would bet if changing plugs (I like Iridium as they last 3x longer) and air filter does not help mileage then high 30's is what you will get at those speeds.

Screw the trucks, full speed ahead!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I only get 30ish on the first bar, 75 at half. I'm going to change the air filter. Hopefully that helps. anything else I should look into to that can cause poor mpg?

Are you calculating your mileage strictly of your fuel gauge bars? If you are then that's your problem right there. The tank is oddly shaped so the fuel gauges will go down faster in some spots and will go down slower in others. The fuel gauge only gives you a "idea" of how much fuel is in that tank its no where close to being accurate for how much fuel is actually in there.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has 12000 miles, plugs replaced at 4000. I've calculated mileage based upon fill up. If replacing the air filter doesn't change anything I'll do the plugs.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How far can I go when the fuel lights starts to flash?:confused:

If doing 85 and getting 30mpg, about 28miles! If doing 70 and getting 52mpg, bout 50 miles. . .

Rick, any updates on the sprocket change?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
If doing 85 and getting 30mpg, about 28miles! If doing 70 and getting 52mpg, bout 50 miles. . .

Rick, any updates on the sprocket change?

I getting use to the power now, and I'm trying to slow down to 70-75mph.:spank:

I think I need a 17t front to bring my rpms down??? I don't think I need all the top speed.