Poor MPG: Things are not always as they appear to be...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thread lead me here today and I reread most all of this. Its just an observation so take it with a grain of salt but it seems the IMPORTANCE of following the manufactures recommendation for the $8000 bike is less important than the recommendation for $20 spark plugs... So lets look at this from a different angle.

YAMAHA DESIGNED THE BIKE, ENGINE AND IGNITION SYSTEM - they also specified a range of acceptable spark plug gaps to ensure proper performance of the engine. Key ingredient - "specified a range of acceptable gaps".

NGK, Denso, you name it sell a product that have many applications it comes in pretty box BUT IS NOT SET PROPER FOR ALL APPLICATIONS! It may require adjustments for some applications. They recommend not making adjustments as the product can be damaged easily.

Analogy:
Lets say I want to make a cake; Not gonna list all the ingredients but, it has flour, eggs, vanilla extract, shortening, blah blah blah.

Recipe says: 2 eggs, 1 cup flour, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 cups of shortening.
BUT; eggs come 12 to a carton (USE THEM ALL), Flour comes by the pound from the manufacture - DUMP ALL OF IT IN! (you see where this is going right??), Shortening - a big tub, yep, dump it ALL IN! Vanilla - everyone loves vanilla - dump in the whole bottle!

The point: Some follow the recipe and it works. Others opened the container used it as is from the manufacture. DID EVERYONE GET THE SAME RESULTS???

Bottom line: NGK did not specify the plugs gap for our 2004 Yamaha FZ6. Yamaha did. For best results, set the GAP to Yamaha's spec. Use the right tool and don't damage the plug. This will yield the best performance from both products.

Please, Just because people "get away" with it on other vehicles and it "always worked before", that doesn't mean it will work here. I know we all have our own experiences and many times both of those quotes are true. That doesn;t make it proper here tho.

Good luck what ever you decide to do! :thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The message up there is validating what others are finding.
1) Most of us got away with allot worse because it didn't impact the performance and it worked great "as is". On my old cars with giant coils you could open the gap even double it and it hurt nothing. Modern coils have been shrunk to a minimal size and some lack the capacity to deliver more than they were spec'd.
Do a little search for P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, etc COP misfire errors. Small coils are failing by the thousands and for many reasons.

What I have found with this bike is that its ignition system is feeble compared to many other products including that of my Honda push mower. For entertainment I doubled the gap on the dam thing and it ran fine. I can bet you that if I doubled the gap on my FZ to 0.064" I likely wouldn't leave the driveway!

Its ignition system is NOT its strongest feature. Just sayin.. .. ..