poor throttle response and engine stalling

rakhan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 09 FZ6 that has been having some issues.

Before I go into it i does need an oil and oil filter change so I am hoping that will solve my issues.

Anyway when I start up my bike sometimes it will barely idle and sometimes it will stall, this is less of a problem when its warmed up.( i do let it properly warm up before riding). After it warms up properly hoping it hasn't stalled in that time the throttle response is less than favorable until I ride it for a while. The other day I warmed it up and rode around for about an hour, parked and let it sit for about 5 minutes the engine temp was around 170 and when i cranked it back up it immediately stalled, and i could not crank it up without giving it some throttle.

Any ideas on what could be wrong like I said it really needs a oil, and oil filter change I do not plane on riding it again until I do this. Also it only has about 15,000 miles on it.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thank you

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Could be your TPS, there were recalls for pre 2007 models which were demonstrating similar issues, searching the forum will bring up a lot of info for that.

Also it would be worth looking into;
Spark plugs, age and gap
Fuel delivery, have you run any cleaners like Seafoam through yet?
Current Oil type? just a random shot in the dark but if its chilly where you are and your running a summer weight oil it might be too heavy for your current temp

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the filter check. It all comes down to air, fuel and spark. Always check the consumables (starting with the easiest to reach) first.

Also, see if it was event driven. Did it start after a fill up? Did you just give the bike a good power wash? Stuff like that.

Good luck and remember, we are all here for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Water in fuel??

When is the last time it ran proper? Has it?
Remove the seat and tank and inspect hoses for air leaks. Also take a peak at the TB boot to engine block. Its a 3mm allen on a band clamp at a BAD angle. Not the connection to the air box but below the throttle plates.

I vote water in gas.... Well if it running good up until the the couple of fuel ups. But the TPS could be the winner. :thumbup:

rakhan

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I am going to take a look at my air filter and fuel lines this weekend. I hope it is something simple.

Also Erburtt it has been very chilly here recently so that may have something to do with it, so I imagine an oil change would fix that. What kind of oil should I use?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode mine all last week so I would venture to say that the bike should function fine in the cold....the airbox said 22 one day when I went out..

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I am going to take a look at my air filter and fuel lines this weekend. I hope it is something simple.

Also Erburtt it has been very chilly here recently so that may have something to do with it, so I imagine an oil change would fix that. What kind of oil should I use?

GASP :eek: Oh no, here comes another oil argument!!!

There are a lot of different products, and several FIERCE advocates for most of them. But usually it stays reasonably civil. :thumbup:

For my cars I use non-synthetics except for my wife's new Outback that takes a grade that only comes in synthetic. I bought my '08 FZ6 this past fall so I'm about to do my first oil change. From what I've been reading, viscosity breakdown is a bigger problem for bikes than for autos so a synthetic makes more sense. Then again, I won't be going as many miles between changes so it might come down to a coin toss.

The two important issues are to get a grade that is approved for 4-cycle bikes. This type avoids additives that can interfere with the operation of the clutch. And to get one appropriate for the temperature range that you will be operating in. Check your manual or do a search on this forum. Interesting that the manual suggests 10w30 or 20w40 but all you find in the stores is 10w40 and 20w50.

I'm not a mechanic, but the problems you describe just don't seem likely to be related to the oil. My bet would be on the TPS issues. I suspect you're the second owner, or like me the third owner - but try to find out if your bike was subject to the recall and if the work was done. (I just noticed that you have an '09 so skip the check on the recall.)

Good Luck!

Chris

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on all the above.

Has the bike sat for any lenth of time??? (trying to see if the inside fuel tank has rust inside). The tank will rust iside and cause issues with the fuel pump, injectors, etc if rust has built up in the tank.

I would start with the basic's. Engine oil won't cause the issue your having but change it if it needs changing obviously.

Check the air filter.

The TPS could be bad, but not likely, Yamaha pretty much straightened them out by 2005. You can check it on the bike(thru the gauges and throttle), make sure you check the numbers inbetween, they should NOT JUMP or SKIP any.. BTW, There's a section at the top of the "TECH section" on checking it.

The fuel, if the bike isn't run regularly or has old fuel (more than a month old) will cause major issues. Fuel nowadays, again, unless run regularly (and I would still run an additive) is crap with ethonol. Mkae sure the fuel is fresh. As mentioned above, run a heavy dose of Seafoam or Chevron techtron. Both work very well, don't be cheap with it, a little extra won't hurt anything..

Not mentioned is your idle speed. Make sure its set at approx 1,300. If its super low, it'll stall...

After doing the above (assuming the TPS is fine), take it out for a good hard ride and blow out whatever crap is in the fuel system/combustion chamber out..

A throttle body sync wouldn't hurt, especially with 15,000 on the clock. If your slightly / somewhat mechanically inclined, I'd buy a profession throttle body sync tool other have made their own). It'll pay for itself the first time and syncng the TB's isn't hard to do on the FZ. (I personally own and use the Morgan Carbtune, no liquids to spill, EXTREMLY ACCURATE) and reasonably priced: http://www.carbtune.com/

Good luck and please post your results...:thumbup:

Last edited: