POS kickstands...

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the puck goes...use the puck when you aren't on the bike. When you are getting ready to leave straighten the bike out and kick the puck out and pick it up. Then proceed to get on the bike. If your kickstand can't keep the bike up for two seconds you parked in the wrong dang spot.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the same issue, I'm too short to be able to use a puck, I'd have to have someone else put it under my kickstand or pick it up for me. I usually leave it in my husbands saddle bag. I think this winter I'll have to weld a longer, wider foot onto my kickstand in the mean time I'll just have my husband handy or park on solid ground. Looks like the damage is about $750 in parts, hopefully my insurance thinks so too.

Husband are good for something, eh? Besides the obvious...putting gas in the tank.:cheer:

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
So…..After getting a damaged gas tank from Parts Shark, they finally sent me a new one, undamaged. I had a bike trip planned over the weekend to PA so I put all the new parts on last Thursday and my bike looked brand new. I was so proud of my nice new bike, had a good ride and everything then yesterday I got home from work and my neighbor backed into my bike. :eek: It's bad, possibly totaled. I looked up parts and it's near the $3000 mark. I really, really hope it isn't totaled after all the time and money I've put into the bike getting it to fit me. The only part I'm having trouble finding is the Yamaha belly pan, I've found it but in blue and I'd really like to get one prepainted black, does any one know the part number or a site that sells the OEM one in black?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
So…..After getting a damaged gas tank from Parts Shark, they finally sent me a new one, undamaged. I had a bike trip planned over the weekend to PA so I put all the new parts on last Thursday and my bike looked brand new. I was so proud of my nice new bike, had a good ride and everything then yesterday I got home from work and my neighbor backed into my bike. :eek: It's bad, possibly totaled. I looked up parts and it's near the $3000 mark. I really, really hope it isn't totaled after all the time and money I've put into the bike getting it to fit me. The only part I'm having trouble finding is the Yamaha belly pan, I've found it but in blue and I'd really like to get one prepainted black, does any one know the part number or a site that sells the OEM one in black?

Talk about a run of bad luck. :( Definitely file and insurance claim (if you have it) because I'm sure it'll be much cheaper than the $3000 to fix it.

As to getting the belly pan, it would probably be faster (and without too much added cost) to take it to a body shop. It's a pretty small item (compared to cars), and probably wouldn't require much work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well that sucks....

Is the frame cracked / bent or mostly cosmetic?

That much just in parts, then add in shop labor, it'll likley be totalled...

If there's no major damage, cracked frame/engine mounts etc, and your mechainically inclined, you can often buy the bike back from the insurance company for cheap...

Take your time buying good used parts when found on the forum or new if need be.

Good luck..

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Cruiser kickstands are dangerous on sport bikes. Rode an old 80's bike that had the kickstand kill-switch deactivated once. It had a big, hawgy honda kickstand and it almost killed me when I left it down and make a left turn. Not a "surprise" bump but a huge bike lifting "ka-chunk" that about tossed me into the other lane.

Not really sure this is why they make dainty ones for sport bikes but until someone tells me different, I have memories of catching air on that sidestand.

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance guy looked at it today and said it isn't totaled but it was close. The frame, engine, all that is fine but all the body parts that are damaged added up quick. The other insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow to look at it and I'll take it to a shop Friday. So glad it's not totaled

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
One final tip for the puck: Tie a string to it and loop it over a mirror when parked. When it's time to leave, hop on, straighten the bike and yank up the puck.

On a friendly note, the best ice cream place around - Rich Farm in Oxford, CT - has motorcycle parking and a bunch of pucks lying around.

Joe