Post service advice - new cam tensioner needed.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
So I took the bike in for my first service since buying it almost 8 months ago (4k miles ago). Had a few things done to her I knew it needed, like new pads, new tyres and the a new throttle close cable put on after I broke it last week.

After the service though, I was advised that there was a faint rattle on the right hand side - most likely the cam chain tensioner. He said it only can be heard when the bike is warm and also that there were two ways to fix it - the right way or the quick way.

Right - basically remove everything and rebuild. Quick - unscrew on the rhs, take old out quickly put new in.

With Christmas fast upon us, I need to get my funds in order after before I can think about this. Obviously loose tensioner runs the risk of slipping a tooth and game over but how likely is this and how long likely can I run the bike?

It's an area I don't know a lot and there are major differences in prices, new from Yamaha is £120-£130, or from a breakers that's been in a bike that's done 8k is £20-£30 but covers with the gamble. I definitly think I'll be making the mechanic do it the quick way as I have no idea what I would be doing, despite him telling me how to do it.

(side note, new tyres are PR3s after the 30miles I rode them for in the dark they felt awesome - can't wait to get em scrubbed and have fun).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From first hand experience, the risk of running with a loose or stretched cam chain or even tensioner, will eventually result in your engine seizing due to the crankshaft position sensor grinding away against your engine. I ignored the rattle until my engine stop running. The sensor is farily easy to replace, but the part has to come from Japan and cost about $150.00. Sometimes, a tensioner is the fix, but if it's the chain, then you might as well replace the guides at the sametime to prevent your sensor from failing again. While the head is removed, get your valves checked at the same sametime and the plugs replaced.

You do not want to get an error code 21

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/40624-error-code-12-a.html

Last edited: