PR4s after 20400 km

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't say anything certain before I see for rear tyre's condition. But in general, 20k kms are pretty enough for a tyre's age. Even it isn't wore, it gets hard as time and warm/cold cycle counts.

I didn't used any pilod road before but I can say my 2.5 years old rosso II's were extremely fine until last 6 months, now they are a bit harder than before and they perform as a normal tire. And odometer shows ~15.000 kms for the tyres.

Looks like PR4 is good pick. My rear has still got few Ks left.

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive NEVER seen anyone wear out a front faster than a rear tire..

I always wear out rear tires faster. I don't accelerate excessively hard or anything, but its the drive tire.. its simply going to wear our faster (in most cases)
a lot of people go through 2 rear tires to their one front (or more depending on the amount of hooligan-ism going on)
[MENTION=21449]The_Paragon[/MENTION] were you useing PR4s?

This. I've always done two rears for each front. There's absolutely no way anyone is putting more force through the front than the rear, long enough to wear it out faster. There's a reason the rears are bigger.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
[MENTION=24850]payneib[/MENTION] Did you do two rears for each front with PR4? I can tell you I have worn my front tyre faster than rear. I have even put photos with measurements too.

Question is, is it a symptom for defect in something or normal for these tires and bikes.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive NEVER seen anyone wear out a front faster than a rear tire..

I always wear out rear tires faster. I don't accelerate excessively hard or anything, but its the drive tire.. its simply going to wear our faster (in most cases)
a lot of people go through 2 rear tires to their one front (or more depending on the amount of hooligan-ism going on)

Sandy, The cupping like that is pretty much normal. From my experience, it just the way of the world.

I've been running Michelin's for almost 100,000 miles, ever since I replaced the stock tires. And I have always wore out my fronts before my rear. Wasn't 2:1, but closer to 1:5: 1. I guess it really depends on your riding style, but none of my Michelin's were the Pilot Roads. I've also gotten almost 17,000 miles on my tires too. I have never experienced cupping on my tires. Well see if this ratio holds true on my Ducati.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Cupping on the front is a product of limited damping control (compression & rebound) as well not really shoving it into the corners.

Increased loading and slip can true them up (knocks off the highs) where slow wear over time can lead to feathering/scallops...
I was hoping someone would say something like this. My commute is 30 km of virtually flat, straight road. In South Africa we ride on the left hand side of the road, so my exit off the highway is a 180 degree left- hander which leads into another double apex to the left. These are the only corners where I can push the bike.
The only problem with this theory is that the cupping on the right of the tyre is deeper than the wear on the left.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=24850]payneib[/MENTION] Did you do two rears for each front with PR4? I can tell you I have worn my front tyre faster than rear. I have even put photos with measurements too.

Not quite 2:1 with the PR4s, but near enough.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cupping on the front is a product of limited damping control (compression & rebound) as well not really shoving it into the corners.

Increased loading and slip can true them up (knocks off the highs) where slow wear over time can lead to feathering/scallops...

I was hoping someone would say something like this. My commute is 30 km of virtually flat, straight road. In South Africa we ride on the left hand side of the road, so my exit off the highway is a 180 degree left- hander which leads into another double apex to the left. These are the only corners where I can push the bike.
The only problem with this theory is that the cupping on the right of the tyre is deeper than the wear on the left.

Did you measure tread depth on both sides using the wear bars on the side?

Id guess it would be hard to tell unless, one side through the bars and the other has depth.

Don't you have to go home too?

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been running Michelin's for almost 100,000 miles, ever since I replaced the stock tires. And I have always wore out my fronts before my rear. Wasn't 2:1, but closer to 1:5: 1. I guess it really depends on your riding style, but none of my Michelin's were the Pilot Roads. I've also gotten almost 17,000 miles on my tires too. I have never experienced cupping on my tires. Well see if this ratio holds true on my Ducati.

What? Really?
I guess it really comes down to riding style and road conditions. ALOT of my riding is straight and flat. so the front tire doesn't really take too much stress. I also don't brake hard either, during my daily commute (whenever summer comes around) Is about 80mi of straight, flat highway, and when it somes to slowing down through towns I just let off, no braking needed.
Yepp I ride like a 28 year old Grandpa!!

My PR3's rear lasted about 12k mi and my front is still on the road at about 16k.
When I ran Dunlop (melt on the road) Q2's I'd go through 2+ rear tires to one front.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you measure tread depth on both sides using the wear bars on the side?

Id guess it would be hard to tell unless, one side through the bars and the other has depth.

Don't you have to go home too?

Going back onto the highway from the other side involves another left usually taken under hard acceleration to get up to highway speed.

The tread depth is less on the right hand side of the right side groove than on the left of that groove, whereas the wear on the left hand grooves are equal.

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
My PR4 isn't old enough to really show anything on the front, but the Contis I had before used to have a flat angle along the shoulder (imagine the tread and sidewall at 90 degrees to each other, then take a belt sander to the joint between them at 45 degrees, if you get my picture) on the right hand side. That's UK, riding on the left. I think it's the roundabouts (clockwise) that do it. On the Contis it lead to me changing the fronts with another 1000-2000 miles worth of tread depth on them.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I heard, the PR4'S are pretty popular and highly recommended on the Multistrada, so I will be getting those once my stock Pirreli Scorpions wears out.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Front and Back PR4's down to wear indicators together at 30,000 km; replaced with Dunlop Roadsmart 3's - let's see what they do...

20170203_115313 (1632 x 918).jpg

20170203_115328 (1632 x 918).jpg

20170206_163715 (1632 x 918).jpg

Attachments

• 20170206_163715.jpg
    20170206_163715.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 40

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet baby vulcanized jeesus. 20k? 30k?

How in the hell do you manage that? I'm super lucky to get a third of that range on T30 Evos.

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Two factors that can contribute to uneven side-to-side tire wear:
1. Roads are typically "crowned" to help with drainage. This means that the center line is the high point, and it slopes down towards the curbs. So for a rider on the right side of the road (USA), being on a "flat" section of road means you're slightly on the left side of the tires.
2. Like a running track, the outside lanes have a longer distance to travel going around the same curve. So for that same rider in the USA riding on the right side of the street, a left turn is more distance traveled than a right turn. So assuming the same number of left/right turns over the life of a tire, that rider in the USA is travels more distance on the left side of the tires.

Vice versa applies for weirdos like the OP in countries like the UK, Australia, and South Africa where they ride on the wrong side of the street :p

There was a discussion on one of my local forums about a year ago where a rider in Northeast USA noticed his tires were wearing more on the left side than the right. Opposite of the OP in Australia.

Also, for what it's worth, I always notice more wear on rears than front, maybe a "2 rears to 1 front" ratio

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about the fact that some folk are more comfortable leaning further on one side than the other... forward view could be factor.

For those that commute, in my case I can fly in in the am but am forced to crawl home at snails pace due to heavy traffic. With a 60 mi round trip this could be a factor.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So far I'm loving my PR4'S on my Multistrada. They seem to do well when I'm out conducting my Motogymkhana sessions and have performed well out on the twisties too. Have yet to experience any hydroplaning riding in the rain. Hope to get at least 15k miles on these tires.

Skirnir

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy moses, 20'000km on one set of tires? How do you do that? :-o
My PR4s now have a bit over 7000km on them (7.3 maybe). When I got them I fully expected them to last 10k, but over the last 1000km or so it's become clear that's not gonna happen. I was still hoping for the set to last 8k total, but after today's ride I noticed that the front tire is totally bare centre-right, as others have also experienced. The rear tire would probably be good for at least another 2k, but I'm not overly happy with the front's performance so I'm thinking about changing the set completely.

To be entirely honest, some of the accelerated wear is probably my own fault -- after the winter break I had initially forgotten to check tire pressure and the first couple of rides were at too low pressure (something like 1.9 bar maybe) -- but we're talking about 3-500km tops here; I doubt that alone can take thousands of km off the life expectancy of a tire.

As a side note, I was very surprised to read the opinion that fronts typically wear faster than the rear -- I never heard that as a general rule in my entire life. Where I come from, the rule of thumb - and my personal experience - is the other way round; two rears per one front. If a particular motorbike deviates from this pattern, it's usually due to distribution of masses -- iirc the Yammie FJR 1300 if notorious for "eating" fronts significantly faster than rears. I have not heard of such a behaviour of the Fazer.

Yeah so long story short:
currently a bit on the fence whether I should stick with the MPR4 (i.e. just get a new front now) or change set entirely (and switch over to the Road Attack 3 maybe).

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Bringing up an old thread but just wanted to add I am on 18 months and ~12,000 miles on my PR4 with ~70% commuting in the crappy NE roads and my rear looks pretty solid (I think, no cupping and hasn't hit the wear indicator). I am guessing I could probably get another 1-2K in the front (kinda sorta close to wear bar), unfortunately most places are out of stock with the PR4s so thinking of switching to a PR2 up front until replacing the entire set.