Project bike ideas

ba4x

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow motorcycle enthusiasts,

Can you help me think of ideas for a project bike? I'm thinking about getting something in the next few months. Something to stay in the garage while I keep commuting on the FZ6, just to play around with and take out on the weekends. I love working on my bike, but the FZ6 is so perfect and practical that I'm running out of reasonable excuses to turn the wrench. I read ZAMM a few years ago and now that I have a decent job, I'm finding motorcycle maintenance to be a really fun and fulfilling activity. Great way to spend time on the weekends, not that it's any good for the wallet... :BLAA:

If you can help suggest a bike, I would be grateful. Here's what I'm looking for:
-Older, carbureted sport bike. (Late eighties / early nineties)
-Preferably Japanese (or at least metric)
-Something a tall person won't be tortured on. I'm willing to compromise on comfort and rideability (still got the fazer for long rides), but I am upwards of 6' 6" (180lbs) and would have trouble with most sport bikes.
-Under $5k

I find the styling of the old Honda NS400r or Suzuki GSX-R400 really inspiring. I just wish I could fit on a bike like that!

Thanks,
nick

PS - Long live the fizzer! I will forever love this bike! It's really perfect. I just want something that puts up more of a fight to tinker with.

Some eye candy, gotta love those white rims!
1992_GSX-R400_SP_450.jpg

ns400r-h4.jpg

ba4x

Reaction score
Visit site
Why not a dualsport converted to a motard? :)

That would be fun! I'd need a couple buddies to help me through a conversion like that. Maybe that's something I can undertake later with little more experience and tools.

Check out this bike I saw today. 2002 two stroke Honda NSR150 SP. Such a bad ass bike! Too bad it's so small. Really light. It's also super loud which I'm all for :rockon:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3027174072.html

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest a BMW air head or older Guzzi, Norton, Triumph etc.

But that is not very Japanese and probably not your style. :D

But they are very fun to ride and easy to tinker with.

Marc

ba4x

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas guys. I ended up going for that '92 FZR600. It's an awesome bike, and I feel decently comfortable on it! :thumbup:

It feels raw and powerful, and it's super fun to drive. Even though the FZ6 is faster and more capable, the FZR600 sometimes feels faster. Especially with the weak brakes... :rolleyes:

Now it's time to get to work! I'm gonna raise the front of the bike (previous owner lowered it), maybe rebuild the front suspension with firmer springs, and powder coat the wheels when I get new tires :BLAA:

ba4x

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

The past few weeks have been awesome! It's great to come home after work and have something fun to work on in the evenings. I've been working hard.

Project Bike version 2.0:

-Rebuilt front forks with race tech springs
-Wheels powder coated white, new bearings
-New BT-014 tires
-520 chain conversion, new sprockets (-1 in front :D)
-Tried to polish some aluminum parts.
-The "simple green" treatment to clean up after the leaky forks... it was nasty!

Next up... paint job?