Protective Jeans

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any experience, opinions, thoughts on the various kevlar & other material jeans available? Once the weather warms up, I really don't wanna hassle with my "overpants" but also don't wanna have to change all the time when arriving/leaving work. I have a relatively short commute (10-11 miles) but most of it is on the Interstate at 60mph. (I would NEVER exceed the posted speed limit) ;) I've just worn my Levis in the past, but realize it is not a smart idea. Thanks.....

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
I have Hood jeans. They're made in the UK. I really like them because you can slide armour into the specially made pockets inside and they seem to use more para-aramid on the jeans than others do, but because of this generous coverage they can get a little on the warmer side. They're still cooler than leathers though and I don't mind them being a bit warmer/heavier than a normal pair of jeans cos I know that if I do come off, they'll protect me.

It looks like they're now using lighter material too, so you may wanna ignore my previous comments on the weight/warmth.

Motorcycle Jeans from Hood Jeans UK

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Drayko Renegade Jeans. They are very comfortable and not too hot. I wear them on short trips or when I'm feeling extra squiddish. Yes, they may save you from some road rash, but they provide no impact protection. I think knee and hip protection are just as important if not more than upper body protection.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand, you said you don't want to deal with your overpants? It only takes a few seconds to put them on and offer much superior protection assuming you have armor to go along with it. Kevlar Jeans at 60 mph will be worthless, at least you have a chance of not sustaining serious injuries wearing the proper riding pants. You should look into Motoports Kevlar Air Mesh overpants with armor. They breath and offer great protection. It's a simple decision for me, it's not worth the risk and consequences over 3 seconds.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks VegasRider, I understand where you're coming from and don't disagree. But that being said, I currently forego the overpants (leather w/protection) for the comfort and "ease" of getting ready when the weather is nice. I acknowlege the additional risk. At least Kevlar lined jeans will offer better protection than my Levis. Plus if I'm going out somewhere, it's just a lot easier and less hassle.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends what jeans you buy. Look for Bullit Covec lined jeans as they comply with EU protective legislation at level 2, and have been tested to last over 7 seconds in a slide. If you're sliding for more than 7 seconds, you're track riding, lol.

I know exactly what you mean by time saved. In winter I'm happy to layer up, as it's needed to stay warm. In summer, I just want to get out the door.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, those Kevlar lined jeans do not cover protection for the entire pants, most likely just the sweet spots, so you would have to land perfectly to take advantage of the abrasion strength.

And again, a rider has mentioned about taking the time to layer up. If I'm at home, my shoes would most likely be off, but I would be wearing a pair of shorts or jeans. If I need to go out, it will take me about 3-5 seconds to put on my riding pants that slips over whatever I'm wearing and another 10 seconds to slip on my riding boots, just a zipper and velcro, no laces. I can put on my riding boots quicker than someone putting on a pair of sneakers. Grab my jacket and gloves and put on my helmet as I walk to the garage. I guess when you ride every day and haven't own a car in almost a decade, I guess you get to be a real pro putting on gear. I have to admit, when I taught the MSF, I'm amazed how long it would take new riders put on their helmets. Many actually put their gloves on first then their helmet, which is the wrong order.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they do not seam to get any hotter then normal pants.

Do they ever! I have a pair of Draggin'Jeans, and they are way hotter than just slipping my overpants over anything else! The jeans with the kevlar just don't breathe really well.
But good luck with whatever you choose.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, those Kevlar lined jeans do not cover protection for the entire pants, most likely just the sweet spots, so you would have to land perfectly to take advantage of the abrasion strength.

And again, a rider has mentioned about taking the time to layer up. If I'm at home, my shoes would most likely be off, but I would be wearing a pair of shorts or jeans. .

You don't need coverage over the entire trouser. How much time are you really going to be sliding on the backs of your calves, which would most likely be covered by boots anyway? And again, it depends entirely on what you buy. Some are in fact fully lined, some aren't. The fact of the matter is, you can now buy "kevlar" lined jeans that are better protection than textile riding kit.

As for time taken to get ready, it's all well and good if you're sitting around and want to go out to just chuck some over-kit on. But when you're riding to/from work in them the fact is, you have to get dressed twice, once with normal clothes or base layers, and again with riding kit. It gets frustrating being the last one in the changing room every shift when you just want to go home.

I appreciate your ATGATT mentality, but your info on this kit is out of date.

Do they ever! I have a pair of Draggin'Jeans, and they are way hotter than just slipping my overpants over anything else! The jeans with the kevlar just don't breathe really well.
But good luck with whatever you choose.
They are a bit warm, especially wandering in town. But I find they let more draft through than a pair of "all weather" textiles with the vents open once you get moving. And you don't stick to them as much cause they're not plastic.

MasterOfPupets

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a pair of Alpinestar's jeans I wear currently. I'm looking for a decent pair of overpants now. While the jeans are nice and no doubt offer better protection than normal jeans, the just don't achieve what I wanted from them.
1) With the knee/hip pads installed, they don't look like normal jeans. It's very obvious and they are pretty uncomfortable to walk around in/wear around

2) When commuting I actually need to bring a whole separate set of pants instead of just taking mine off.

I bought them because they are the big thing right now and I regret it. I'll probably still wear them some on dedicated rides, but for my normal riding/commuting I really want a pair of overpants.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rather spend the 5 min. each clothing change than lose time in rehab
When i did my riding tests instructors told us "protect the bits you want to keep"
Pretty straight forward to me

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rather spend the 5 min. each clothing change than lose time in rehab

^ This, but honestly I doubt it takes 5 minutes. And why not wear your work clothes underneath your overpants and jacket? Unless you wear a suit and tie, then I can understand. But if it's a normal uniform or work shirt it should work.

Apparently the Motoport Kevlar Jeans have a better circulation than normal jeans. Interesting, but $400?

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=48&cid=29&Itemid=15

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
^ This, but honestly I doubt it takes 5 minutes. And why not wear your work clothes underneath your overpants and jacket? Unless you wear a suit and tie, then I can understand. But if it's a normal uniform or work shirt it should work.

Because some people have jobs that involve work, and sweat, and dirt. I don't want that inside my riding gear.

Apparently the Motoport Kevlar Jeans have a better circulation than normal jeans. Interesting, but $400?

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=48&cid=29&Itemid=15

Bike stuff: if it's good, it costs.

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
After having already been saved by Draggin' Jeans after an off at 50km/h through a corner with surprise gravel on my old bike (came off with a tiny bit of impact damage on the knees but no road rash and a sore wrist), I went and got some of the Bullit Covec lined jeans. They're amazing and despite how thick and heavy they are they seem to be cooler than my old Draggin' Jeans (so much so that in the cold cold times of winter I wear thermals underneath).
If you want additional protection as well you can get padded inserts for the rear end and knees.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Because some people have jobs that involve work, and sweat, and dirt. I don't want that inside my riding gear.

I can understand that, but isn't that the same as saying you wouldn't want that sweat and dirt on the inside of your vehicle or on the interior of your vehicle. In my opinion its the same. And if I was covered in all that sweat, dirt and who knows what else, I would certainly change. But sweating inside gear is normal, it's part of riding.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
But sweating inside gear is normal, it's part of riding.

Of course it is. But factory "goo", glass dust and who knows what else around this factory isn't. And I don't want that inside my riding kit, just the same as the car drivers don't want it in their cars, so we all shower after work. So why would I spend twice as long getting dressed, when it's proven that the current stock of kevlar (just for clarity, I use the term kevlar losely. Very few Kevlar jeans have kevlar in them, it's a brand name) jeans offer the same, if not more, protection than textile kit? All the points you've made against them are entirely outdated.

As with any riding kit, you have to look at what you're buying.

Bullit Covec is currently the best lining.
Make sure you get ones that fit properly.
Look for full lining.
Look for at least armour pockets, if not armour included (I just use the pads from an old set of textiles in mine).
Listen to people who've taken the opportunity to slide down the road in some to find out which ones work.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the storage of your gear would be more of a PIA than the extra 10 seconds it takes to put them on. That has been the biggest issue for me. Most lockers won't have the room to accommodate all your gear since they do take up more room than normal clothes.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Cortech cargo pants that I use most of the time. For commuting to work and back I wear them over my uniform pants. On my weekend rides, I add my Bohnarmor pants under that.