Purchase timing

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently saving for my first bike. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford an FZ6 this late summer/fall. Should I go ahead and buy a ninja 250 and start riding in August until winter or save a few more months and purchase an FZ6? Is it better to wait for what I really want?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
What bike did you learn on? The good thing about a ninja 250 is you can usually buy a used one, ride it for one season and sell it for close to what you paid. FZ6 prices are the lowest around the end of the year or in January. :thumbup:

Personally I would hate to wait a riding season only to buy my first bike in the middle of the winter when it's too cold to enjoy riding it! I would find a good deal on a ninja NOW...then plan to sell it around October and then start your FZ6 search! Hey, maybe you'll even keep the 250 around for riding around town or short trips. I really wish I had a 250 for my 6 mile backroad commute to work! I had a 2003 Ninja 250 that got at least 85 mpg if I rode it easy.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO:

1. Buy Ninja 250
2. Ride for a few months to a year
3. Sell for what you bought it for
4. Break even
5. Buy the bike you wanted
6. Be a better rider.

typezstg

Reaction score
Visit site
Since this is your first bike, I would echo everyone above and HIGHLY recommend starting on the 250, even if only for a few months. You'll be able to hone your throttle control and riding skills much easier on the ninja because you can actually row through the gears at reasonable speeds (the fz will hit 60-65 in 1st gear). 250s hold their value very well too, so you'll most likely get your money back when you sell it to get the fazer :p

I rode mine for 4 months and loved it. It's a very fun bike to ride and it'll go 95 on the highway.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't bother paying the taxes twice. Started on a VTX 1300 and have been on 600cc's + ever since. I never messed with a 250 but I don't imagine that I would be in one for long.

It really depends on your personal temperament, I suppose. If you're prone to making stupid decisions and chasing adrenaline highs, I would get the 250 and hope that I scared the hell outta myself a few times before I could afford the 600.

If you're just riding to ride and have nothing to prove to anyone (including yourself), I would just wait for the FZ. Maybe even use the cash as a down-payment on a slightly nicer FZ than you are planning on.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with buying the fz6 first as long as you don't miss the whole riding season. It is/was my first bike, and as long as you have nothing to prove I find it is not too dangerous to learn on. I even proved i don't care what all the teenagers think by slapping a top case on it!

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I really appreciate all your thoughts. I'm going to sell everything not nailed down or that would invoke a divorce and see where I am at. I'm not making up my mind until after the safety course. I'm pretty even keeled and will be riding on hills and parking lots at the state park to learn no matter what I get.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
are you getting the bike in august, or did i interpret that wrong? you could get a 250 and a license and just ride as much as possible up until the safety course. then after the course, decide if you are comfortable or feel like moving up. as said the 250s hold their value extremely well and if you get one now before riding season comes full swing, you can sell it in august before kids go back to college (cheap on gas) and get a bigger bike. transport for the price of gas is essentially free. also the MSF course will knock insurance down, and if you didnt report any accidents for those first few months, you can knock it down even further.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought in November so i got my 05 for decently cheap a few years ago.....not that it matters the time of year because I put 1000+ miles on it within a month......
I would agree with the above.....get a ninja 250, beat the life out of it.....then appreciate/respect the power of the FZ and have a respect for those that HAUL past you on liter bikes.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I would take the MSF if you haven't done so already. Be sure you like riding and also it gives you the opportunity to feel a 250 since most of the bikes there will be a 250. Plus the MSF school by me was only $250 for the course, so relatively minor investment. After the course if you are bored to death on a 250 then you will know it may be worth it to get a 600. If you feel that you could see yourself learning/practicing on a 250 for 6 months as suggested without regretting or wishing you had done something different then go for the Ninja 250. If you feel like you'd be better served getting a 600, you'll find a way.

I took the MSF course and was so pumped up about riding that I found my first bike, a 2008 Fz6 for a smoking deal on an ebay auction (I won the auction for $3100, $2500 below book value at the time). Point is deals come up and if you are ready then it's easier to pull the trigger.

Also remember to have about $1000 on hand for gear. Helmet is $150-500, Jacket is $150-400, Gloves $20-100s, Pants $200s, Boots $200

I would strongly suggest putting the money up for a good helmet (Shoei, Arai, Scorpion, etc). I went down and had a cheaper helmet on (HJC) that did not provide the best protection and I had a concussion.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the helmet. I have a vega and its noisy as hell.

In my experiences, i always have buyers remorse when i buy something good but not what i want.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I did get a Vega helmet. I figured a new Vega was better than a used anything else. I'll be riding short distances at low speeds at first and for the motorcycle class (it was only $75 and lasts three full days).

I'll probably upgrade to an Arai next Spring once everything is in motion.

The breakdown on the finances is that we are in the process of having zero debt. If I was a better man I would take the monies I am saving and put towards the debt. But I want a bike and don't want to wait two years! The student loans are a huge mountain to climb.

So I'm selling musical instruments, sports cards, anything that is not being used and just sitting around. I just reached $500 and based on my calculations I would have about $2000 which is enough for a 250. But another couple of months and the chance of a desperate seller, I could find an FZ6.

I have a regular monthly bit I can set aside. I also have two weddings this summer and fall and an occasional funeral to set aside as well.

So basically I'm taking the class in late July and will then begin the search for a bike.

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
What other sport type bikes have the standard riding position? Other than the Ninja 250 what makes a great first bike?

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
What other sport type bikes have the standard riding position? Other than the Ninja 250 what makes a great first bike?

600cc's sport bike
Ninja 650r, SV650, KLR650, GS500F, Fz6, Fz6R, Ninja 500R, Versys

Super-moto
TW200, XT250, DRZ400sm, DRZ250, CRF250L

250's
Rebel 250, GZ250, CBR250R, V-star 250,

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Already read the post. Working on a project ninja right now. If the craigslist guy still has it and it isn't too rough I should have enough cash to pull the trigger. That discussion is on another newbie thread.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Perk of a project bike is that you'll probably learn some good mechanical skills in the process. My last bike - and the reason I bought the FZ6 - was a 30 yr old CB750. It had, predictably, 30 year old issues.

After the third charging rotor that it melted (and a complete disassembly, reassembly, repainting (while replacing all rubber parts in the process)), I said **ck this and bought the FZ6. It had cooked a OEM charging rotor, an aftermarket rotor, and another upgraded aftermarket rotor the company made. 1980's NOS parts are too hard to find and expensive to mess with.

I guess where I'm going with this is - make sure the bike isn't too old and be prepared to becomes friends with the tattoo'ed girl at the Harbor Freight checkout line. If it's being sold as a project, someone already gave up on that project.... sorta like that 750 lawn ornament I have now.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perk of a project bike is that you'll probably learn some good mechanical skills in the process. My last bike - and the reason I bought the FZ6 - was a 30 yr old CB750. It had, predictably, 30 year old issues.

After the third charging rotor that it melted (and a complete disassembly, reassembly, repainting (while replacing all rubber parts in the process)), I said **ck this and bought the FZ6. It had cooked a OEM charging rotor, an aftermarket rotor, and another upgraded aftermarket rotor the company made. 1980's NOS parts are too hard to find and expensive to mess with.

I guess where I'm going with this is - make sure the bike isn't too old and be prepared to becomes friends with the tattoo'ed girl at the Harbor Freight checkout line. If it's being sold as a project, someone already gave up on that project.... sorta like that 750 lawn ornament I have now.

The great thing about the 250 Ninja's is they are a proven bike, been around for a while, and tons of parts are available.