Purolator Oil Filter

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing about the oil change, there is a crush washer that goes between the oil drain bolt and bike. Being that it's a crush washer, you may not notice the washer as it has become crushed against the bolt and it will appear as one piece. Personally, I do not replace the crush washer, only when I replace the bolt. Haven't had any issues leaking or anything.

I use Purolator filters too, and I have 98k miles on my bike.

Project84

14,000 RPM really?!
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW - I went to local O'Reilly's looking for Purolator - they don't carry them but I noticed they do carry WIX which I think is highly regarded and I tend to prefer that brand actually.

He crossed the Purolator # PL14610 to a WIX #51356 for $7.99. It was a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the OEM Yamaha filter I removed, but had a much larger o-ring seal. So I did the oil change (you guys are right... messy! No good place to put a catch pan.) and put the filter on. Added 3 quarts and test rode around the block, no leaks, no issues.

Noticed that crush washer you mentioned, Vegas. Left it alone and put the bolt back in. No issues.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.

The oil change is straight forward? No tricks or weird tasks involved? Drain, remove filter, install new filter, put drain plug back in, fill w/ oil?

I have owned several bikes and never had one that was that straight forward, hoping that's it. lol My KTM takes almost 2 hours to do an oil change!

Well, It can be difficult to remove the old filter because you can't get a grip on it because it's up against the engine case. The best tool to remove old filters on the FZ6 is one of those filter sockets you use a 3/8" drive to turn.

OilFilterWrench.jpg

Just make sure you get the small size and be sure it fits your filters before you buy one. Makes filter removal a 10 second job.

Project84

14,000 RPM really?!
Reaction score
Visit site
The filter was a piece of cake. The only complaint is the bike was too low on the side stand to put a normal catch pan under it... and the centerstand was in the way to put the catch pan under it. I ended up using a small bucket to catch the old oil and just dealt with the mess left on the exhaust/ground after I was done.

Glad I did it too. The dipstick oil looked somewhat clean, but when it was draining I got to see the real color... pretty old oil from what it looked like. Riding about 200 miles tomorrow on my way to Indy for MotoGP, wanted fresh oil in there!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you get the long version of the Purolator filter, I hand tighten mine and never had an issue leaking. I use an oil filter wrench to take it off and usually gets all smashed and torn to pieces but who cares at that point, it's getting replaced.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The filter was a piece of cake. The only complaint is the bike was too low on the side stand to put a normal catch pan under it... and the centerstand was in the way to put the catch pan under it. I ended up using a small bucket to catch the old oil and just dealt with the mess left on the exhaust/ground after I was done.

Glad I did it too. The dipstick oil looked somewhat clean, but when it was draining I got to see the real color... pretty old oil from what it looked like. Riding about 200 miles tomorrow on my way to Indy for MotoGP, wanted fresh oil in there!
A trick for that is to use tin foil. Make a ramp from the top of the header pipes to to catch pan, bend it into a V-ish shape.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WIX 51358 are black and of top quality. Napa carries the same re branded (from WIX to Napa) and PN.

From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/oil-...nce-specific-oil-filters.html?highlight=51358
Wix brand:

Part Number: 51358
UPC Number: 765809513587
Principal Application: Honda Motorcycles + Industrial Engines, I-R, Honda (87-10), Komatsu, Kubota, Kia (95-05), Mercury, Arctic Cat, Nissan (06-11), Polaris, Subaru (05-06), Yamaha, Other

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.782
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=13/52
Burst Pressure-PSI: 265
Max Flow Rate: 8-10 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Also: Cardboard Cereal Boxes FTW!
From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...ng-open-your-oil-filter.html?highlight=cereal

Maybe not the most likely place to post a how too, but here it is all the same.

In short, with the help of Kellogs or any chunk of card board box, you can successfully get that old oil in the pan without spilling a drop!

• Set bike on side stand.
  • Gather extension w/17mm socket & ratchet.
  • With an old cereal box cut a 10" X 12" piece and bend it into a U shape.
  • Shove it between the header and the transmission and walla!
  • Remove drain plug and w/out making mess!
  • Carefully stand the bike upright for a minute and return it to the side stand. This allows the internal sump to dump a bit more oil into the lower sump/pan area. Be careful not to knock the pan away or drain shoot off. A safe bet is to seat the plug for moment and then stand the bike up.

Here I'm holding the disposable drain shoot during the initial dump so it doesn't do something crazy like fall off. Its that easy....

48352d1370206284-practice-what-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter-img_20130601_203721_488-jpg
48353d1370206284-practice-what-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter-img_20130601_203812_976-jpg

48354d1370206284-practice-what-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter-img_20130601_203833_390-jpg

Tags:
OCI, oil change, oil change interval, Filter change, Dino oil, synthetic oil, 10-40;
Mega tag: exxon valdez, oh sh$t, oil spill,

A very Good Post and more details on oil changing: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/18531-how-change-your-oil.html

OG MayMay

the milkman
Reaction score
Visit site
I would stick to the OEM filter. Unless you can verify the pressure relief valve values from both manufacturers you could be causing oil flow malfunction during warm up. I've heard of it happening on a ninja 636.