Question about traffic laws regarding light sensors.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I live in New York State. Does anyone here know the laws of the state regarding light sensors that fail to detect a motorcycle? I have been stuck at red lights like these quite a few times before a car pulls up behind me and trips the induction wires. Can I legally "run" the red light after giving the sensor a couple cycles to detect me?

Apologies if this is a repost.

Thanks,
m.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This can vary from state to state and even within cities. The best thing to do is to ask your local authority. Also, visit city hall and complain about the sensors not working for motorcycles. Be specific in the intersection addresses when you file the complaint. Sometimes they will adjust them, other times, not.

Here in NH, I was told by both the state and local police that I must give it one complete cycle of lights and if it doesn't change, to treat it as a stop sign and proceed when it is safe.

Hope that helps! :D

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Most states have a same common law "you may not proceed through traffic durring a red light unless you are already in the intersection" (or something close to that affect). Although light sensors are a tricky system. They consist of one of three things: no sensors (the lights change no matter what), a weight sensor, or a magnetic sensor. weight sensors can be a pain for bikes for bikes are naturally light. so can magnetic sensors due to the fact that most of our motors are small and are of a mostly aluminum casting. These two things, along with age of the sensor, make bikes a common problem of 'not being seen'.

first thing to do, when you come up upon a light, you will see 2-4 round disks in the road like cut outs of concrete that where replaced with concrete plugs. Make sure your engine is over one of these disks. rev your engine a few times (up to about 5500-6000 rpm for us 600cc's). The light should change.

if the light does not change, look behind you and see if there is a car behind you.

if there is, pull forward over the cross walk and motion to the car to pull up to the stop line, this will let the car trip the sensor.

if there is no car, most likely the traffic is not bad, and you may pull out like it was a stop sign onto a street with a right away. JUST MAKE SURE that you have gone through 2 light cycles (or 5 minutes if the one way street just always has a green) and a police officer that may be watching should understand.

There is always teh chance of, well a prick, and he will pull you over, but just tell him what happened and you will go along your marry way

I hope this helps

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
This can vary from state to state and even within cities. The best thing to do is to ask your local authority. Also, visit city hall and complain about the sensors not working for motorcycles. Be specific in the intersection addresses when you file the complaint. Sometimes they will adjust them, other times, not.

Here in NH, I was told by both the state and local police that I must give it one complete cycle of lights and if it doesn't change, to treat it as a stop sign and proceed when it is safe.

Hope that helps! :D

Yeah, I figured it varies state by state. I tried to look up information online and some states do have laws exactly like you said. Unfortunately nothing came up for NYS. It is a hassle. I also found some kits which are essentially heavy duty magnets that you can attach to the bottom of your bike which will then trip the induction wires.

frt96

Reaction score
Visit site
I brought this up at my MSF basic riders course. The teacher was a California Highway patrol motor cop. He said that any signal that does not detect your motorcycle after 2 complete cycles is malfunctioning and california vehicle code says to treat a malfunctioning signal like a 4 way stop. He said that if after explaining this to a officer and he still gives you a citation, you can use this argument in court to beat the ticket.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I figured it varies state by state. I tried to look up information online and some states do have laws exactly like you said. Unfortunately nothing came up for NYS. It is a hassle. I also found some kits which are essentially heavy duty magnets that you can attach to the bottom of your bike which will then trip the induction wires.

In my area there are a lot of older magnetic-style sensors, and I have a lot of trouble getting the light to change.

I've had some limited success making sure to pull up on top of the obvious line where the wire or sensor is buried, and then kicking down my center stand with my heel. It may be purely coincidence, but seems to work in certain situations.

Otherwise, blast-off time!!

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm work night shift at FedEx ground and i tend to ride home at night. I run into this problem daily. I either a:

plan my route to make right on red (legally) and take streets that i know the sensors will trip for me.

or b: treat it as a stop sign.

My pamsp rider coach, an ex chief of police/robo cop (what we call biker cops here), told me after 2 cycles, it is considered a malfunctioning stop light and to treat it as a 4 way stop.

I would imagine new york is similar, but don't quote me.

genesis

Reaction score
Visit site
I also found some kits which are essentially heavy duty magnets that you can attach to the bottom of your bike which will then trip the induction wires.

We talked about these Magnet Kits in my MSF class. One of my instructors was a city engineer. He said these kits do nothing to help trip the sensors and are just a waist of money.

My instructor, in Arizona, said the same as most of you. If the light doesn't trip after two cycles then proceed as if its non functioning.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're sitting at a stop light for a long time, and it goes through multiple cycles and there's nobody around, you can run it.

A cop can technically still pull you over if he sees you, but you have to explain the situation to him. If he didn't get laid the previous night and decides to write you a ticket, explain it in court.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Maryland has a bill to make this legal:
http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/SB0784.htm

Synopsis (not mine):
This bill, if passed, will make it legal for a motorcycle operator to use their inability to trip the sensor as a defense should they be charged with a violation for going through a red light. Certain conditions apply such as no other vehicles were there capable of tripping the sensor; the motorcycle remained stopped for at least two minutes or one complete cycle of the traffic signal; and no pedestrians were attempting to cross the intersection. (Note: Just to be clear, this bill does NOT make it OK for motorcycles to go through red lights and DOES NOT guarantee that if a motorcyclist relies on this defense the ticket will be dismissed. This bill merely provides for the possibility.

It will be one of the few things in Maryland that isn't illegal. :D

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
That Maryland bill reads quite like the NC law for ignoring red.

I rarely get the opportunity to do it, but boy do I sure enjoy it when I can. :thumbup:

...Now if we can just get lane splitting approved...

W

wrightme43

Worst case if you use your brain you get a ticket.

I know which ones dont work, and they are just stop signs to me.

I cant see any judge that has any good sense upholding the ticket, but it might happen. So its at your own risk.

I do several things that are technicly illegal almost everyday.

phantom27

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what Colorado Law says:

42-4-612. When signals are inoperative or malfunctioning.

(1) Whenever a driver approaches an intersection and faces a traffic control signal which is inoperative or which remains on steady red or steady yellow during several time cycles, the rules controlling entrance to a through street or highway from a stop street or highway, as provided under section 42-4-703, shall apply until a police officer assumes control of traffic or until normal operation is resumed. In the event that any traffic control signal at a place other than an intersection should cease to operate or should malfunction as set forth in this section, drivers may proceed through the inoperative or malfunctioning signal only with caution, as if the signal were one of flashing yellow.