question on seat cowl & soft tail bags

Bake

Reaction score
Visit site
Apologize if this question has been asked before......

But I am seriously thinking about ordering a Yamaha Seat Cowl for a 2008, but before I do I want to make sure you can still secure a soft aftermarket tail bag when the Seat Cowl is on. I assume you can just lay a thin rubber pad over it and secure the tail bag as you normally would?. Has anyone tried this or had any issues with doing this. Thanks alot.!

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Some tailbags have a rubber pad beneath it to prevent scratching. I have the Cortech Sport Tailbag and it comes with a neoprene pad underneath the bag and it does a pretty good job of prevent chaffing and scratching.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the CoreTech soft tailbag. That needs to sit on a flat surface, or it wouldn't mount right. The CoreTech tailbag is pretty rigid. If the seat cowl is rounded like most I've seen, it wouldn't work.

Bake

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea , thanks. that's the real issue I was trying to figure out, would a seat cowl mean that the tail bag would be sliding all over the place would I have to take the seat cowl off? or could I somehow make it work. Any other thoughts would be appreciated especially from riders who currently have seat cowls

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the bucks $ just get the tail bag and side bags and some other mod for your FZ. The seat cowling looks cool but for the bucks? Are those cowls removable? Just thinking you can take it off when using the bags? I have the Cortek tail bag and it's great. I will expand the collection this spring and get the side bags.* :thumbup::iconbeer::rockon:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Yea , thanks. that's the real issue I was trying to figure out, would a seat cowl mean that the tail bag would be sliding all over the place would I have to take the seat cowl off? or could I somehow make it work. Any other thoughts would be appreciated especially from riders who currently have seat cowls

I have the Yamaha seat cowl and it is easily removable if needed. It would actually provide a much flatter and harder suface for a tail bag to sit on. Yes you would probably want a piece of bar matt (router matt) on top as it is smooth painted plastic. That can't be said about the TCP seat cowels as they are curved and have a little 'fin' on top.

I've strapped on tail bags and back packs ontop of my seal cowl with zero issues. Again, you can just simply remove it if you plan on using a bag that won't fit with it on.

I think it cleans up the look of the bike a lot and is nice if you don't do much/any 2-up riding.