Quick Release Saddle Bag (throw over) Supports

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Posted this in a thread looking for alternatives to the SW Motech Blaze system. Thought it would be appropriate here too.

Here's my concept (this design requires removal of rear peg brackets, but could be adapted with spacers):

Drawing3Model1.jpg

Bought a pair of Sedici Saddle Bags from Cycle Gear ($99). These bags are a good candidate because they have some small D-Rings that the support tube can run thru. Used some scrap stainless tubing and angle iron for the bracket and some brass tubing (for now) for the support. If you can weld or know someone that can, I would say the materials to make the mounts wouldn't run more than $20.

Making them is simple. Weld tube to angle iron. Cut to length, drill mounting holes in angle iron and one hole in tube for retention screw/bolt. The support tube length and bend will vary depending on the bags. Once I paint them they will blend right in. I'll see how the brass tubing holds up (it's what I could scrounge up) but plan on switching to some solid round bar of some type.

I'll post actual pics of them mounted this evening.

Still have to paint and trim the support rod, but you get the point:
2012-08-22_20-46-23_869.jpg

2012-08-22_20-47-49_559.jpg

2012-08-22_20-47-05_263.jpg

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking of doing something like that as well after seeing this setup.

TwistedThrottle.com

I don't have access to a welder or any other fabrication tools though. Maybe something that can be built with parts from a hardware store? I'll have to look around.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
All of this would be available at a good hardware store. You could, conceivably, bolt the pieces together. Two bolts at the rear of the tubing through the plate would be sufficient, you would just shorten the amount of support tubing that goes into the mount.

Again, this was made with scrap pieces I found laying around where I work. The materials I used are probably overkill for the minimal loading (if any) it will ever see.

Something like this:

Bracket.jpg

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done!

Do you think it would work if you flipped the bracket to face inward, placed the rear foot rest on and used longer bolts?

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Well done!

Do you think it would work if you flipped the bracket to face inward, placed the rear foot rest on and used longer bolts?

Yes, that was the first thing I looked at. I the end I chose the current mounting point because I never carry a passenger (that's what my Victory is for :D:D ).

In that instance, though, you would likely need more of an S shaped bend, but no big deal.

Painted and trimmed:

2012-08-23_18-29-03_619.jpg

2012-08-23_18-29-22_79.jpg

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I scrounged up the materials from work and gave it my best ghetto shot, limited tools, and I had a 101 deg. fever too!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
now how can i do this on the first gen fz? :( my passenger foot peg brackets dont bolt down

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks pretty good Joe! I'll try to come up with an option for us 04'-06' owners that don't have removable passenger pegs. I have the same mini-bags that Anthony (Quickflick) is selling.
Me--->:spank:<---The guy at Yamaha that was late to work on the S1 design day!