R6 fork mod, would this work?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I've got these forks on my bike. Here's what's needed.

Front and Rear fender brackets. Get in touch with forum user RyanK. He CNC machined some very nice brackets that get the job done. A couple of the screws in his kit were on the short side, but that was easily corrected.
You can also make your own out of aluminum flat bar from Home Depot. This takes more work and doesn't look as good as the RyanK brackets. But they will do the job just fine.

Axle spacers. Two are needed and they will need to be machined.

Axle inside spacer. This fits inside the right hand fork leg, and compensates for the fact that the R6 axle is shorter than the FZ6 axle.
You can omit this if you don't mind the axle not being all the way inserted into the left hand fork leg.
On the other hand, if you do use it, the axle bolt threads won't be as far into the axle, so be very careful abut your axle tightening torque.

Either way it's a tradeoff. You decide what is best for your bike.

Brake caliper spacers. I have the Official Spacer Kit that somebody on SBN was selling. Guess what? They're washers. Buy four washers of about the right thickness and size, and put them between the calipers and the forks.
Brake calipers are designed so that they can adjust for a misalignment, so all you need to do is get Close Enough. The washers do this just fine.

Also, those forks on Ebay look to be the right ones. And you could resell the switches, tripleclamps and other leftovers and make some money back.

Hope this helps.

Fred

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Again, '06 and earlier bikes. Check out the dwgs & pics I linked to earlier for '07+.

I can't view that at work, blocked. I'll have to look later tonight.

I'm in the process of getting some of these made, but I have to double check the prints to make sure the fender spacers are correct.

It's looking like it will be about $65 + $5 shipping for:

4 stainless brake spacers
2 stainless wheel spacers
2 aluminum fender spacers

Don't get all excited yet. I need to get a couple sets done. Then I will know for sure and post.

EDIT: I also need more info on the inside axle spacer.

Last edited:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
.....Axle inside spacer. This fits inside the right hand fork leg, and compensates for the fact that the R6 axle is shorter than the FZ6 axle.
You can omit this if you don't mind the axle not being all the way inserted into the left hand fork leg.
On the other hand, if you do use it, the axle bolt threads won't be as far into the axle, so be very careful abut your axle tightening torque.

Either way it's a tradeoff. You decide what is best for your bike.

Do you have any idea what the dimensions on this are? I'm making up prints for the other parts from the information I have right now, and I could do this as well.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dako81 - im wondering if you could just quote me a price for hte wheel spacers and the fender tabs... the brake shims you dont have to machine, just buy the washers from mc-master.. someone here know the link so im sure it'll be posted up shortly.. but yea, Im interested in the spacers and the tabs.. you can count me in for the money :)

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dako81 - im wondering if you could just quote me a price for hte wheel spacers and the fender tabs... the brake shims you dont have to machine, just buy the washers from mc-master.. someone here know the link so im sure it'll be posted up shortly.. but yea, Im interested in the spacers and the tabs.. you can count me in for the money :)

I think the brake spacers will only be like $1.25 each, and they'll be something like 304 stainless instead of 18-8, and have a nice finish on them.

Pack of 10 for $6.47 tho...McMaster-Carr

So, probably $60, but I won't know exactly like I said until I have a couple sets done.

I attached the prints I made for these parts. If they're wrong let me know.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks great man.. let me know how much the final set will cost.. and count me in for one..

OK!

Still, inner axle spacer? Anyone know more? If I had enough money right now, I'd have bought the forks and such and could create one myself, but since I don't have any parts in front of me, I am going to have to rely on someone else.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im also confused about this iner axle spacer...would be nice to have the info we need for this.. i

s it just a threded peice that you need so the axle will sit fluch next to it and you wont "over tighten" the whole axle?? if someone knew the length it was short, we could just have a peice made up and slot one end so you could screw it in with a screwdriver....

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about this inner axle spacer, this is the first I'm hearing of it, mine went together just fine without it

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Just buy the caliper/axle shims from mcmaster-carr. They work fine.
The only real problem is for the fender then.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I don't know about this inner axle spacer, this is the first I'm hearing of it, mine went together just fine without it

Yeah, you can do without it.
Look at your left fork leg and you'll see that the axle isn't inserted all the way into the fork leg. That's what the spacer corrects.

Fred

Martinezmr89

Reaction score
Visit site
well.. i am in the same boat.. if i knew the job was fully secure, i would buy up the stuff for an r6 fork conversion right now..

other than the forks and calipers, you'll need the shims or have someone machine a set of wheel spacers for you.. if you want the spacer information, shoot me a pm with your email and ill email you all the master cad files and some of the more in depth pictures i have.. good luck with the job.

Could you send me those please?. I'm thinking about doing the conversion and could use all the help I can get! Thanks!

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, you can do without it.
Look at your left fork leg and you'll see that the axle isn't inserted all the way into the fork leg. That's what the spacer corrects.

Fred

I was looking back through this and have to say that you do need the axle shims. If you don't use them, your forks will not be parallel with each other. This will cause premature wear and improper opperation.

The reason for the shims is that the fork mounts in the tripple on the FZ are farther apart than on the R6, so when you mount up the forks on the FZ they are farther apart. That is why there is a gap.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking back through this and have to say that you do need the axle shims. If you don't use them, your forks will not be parallel with each other. This will cause premature wear and improper opperation.

The reason for the shims is that the fork mounts in the tripple on the FZ are farther apart than on the R6, so when you mount up the forks on the FZ they are farther apart. That is why there is a gap.

Yep, spacers can be had from mcmaster. You can also use the R6 fender with no mods other than a 60 profile tire rather than a 70 profile tire.