R6 Forks Mod!

RuskiMotorcycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Y'all,

I bought a nice pair of used R6 forks for my 07 FZ6 and I'm starting the mod.

I have very limited mechanic/mod experience (and by limited I mean none), so I was hoping for a few pointers.I know there are a few posts about it here, and I'm using them, but I just wanted so fresh, updated insight.

I've ran into a complication pulling the fork out from my FZ6. I feel like I need a big hexagon tool, and to have my bike propped up especially high, in order to pull the forks down and out. Or am I doing this completely wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Best,
Denis Z.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the center-stand, put the bike on that, then put a scissor jack under the header and jack up.

If you can remove the front wheel, there's plenty of room to remove the fork legs.

With the pinch bolts loosened up for the fork legs, they should literally drop out quite easily.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The header is the chrome exhaust that exits the engine and goes down and under the bike(see below pic).
Put the scissor jack in a bit, where its horizontal.

Just as a side note, (and not being a smarthat).
if you don't know what the header is, your probably going to be in WAY OVER your head
with this project...

Under the flat part of the shiney exhaust pipe

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Or if you're a make-shift mechanic like me, you'll put a cinder block under there with a strip pf 1/4 inch plywood to protect from scratches. Though my pipes are not nearly so awesome!

Consider changing the fork oil on the new forks before you install them. You'll be reluctant to take them off after your take your first ride.

If/when you do change the oil you should loosen the top caps before you take the fork tubes out of the triple tree. Much easier to get them loose that way.

Chris

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Scott (somewhat). To his point, you are going to disassemble the front wheel, the front suspension and the front brakes. Might not be the best project to learn the basics. I hate to discourage people, so I suggest you enlist the help from someone with more experience. And a torque wrench. Don't gamble. Remember, before you set out to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Or if you're a make-shift mechanic like me, you'll put a cinder block under there with a strip pf 1/4 inch plywood to protect from scratches. Tho

Chris

Chris, just a side note (and de-rail).

I use an oldr, junk yard scissor jack from a ford crown Vic. No hydraulic lifts, as if it leaks, the bike falls..

I have a 2x4 bolted atop that so it doesn't scratch the underneath of the header. It's mostly used for just raising the ft wheel off the ground to wipe off brake dust from the wheel. I have pulled the forks for an oil change as well with that set up, very sturdy and I'm simply using a ratchet and socket to raise the bike.

NO manual lifting, too old for that stuff...

Back to the thread...:)

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
You got the other components for this mod OP? You need R6 calipers, axle, new lines(optional), and lastly custom made shims. Without those the mod isn't going to work that well....

Townsend, I've see you post your beautiful headers many times, but I've forgotten what compound you used to clean them. You sprayed them with that shiny paint afterwards correct? Thinking of doing something with my ugly pipes...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Townsend, I've see you post your beautiful headers many times, but I've forgotten what compound you used to clean them. You sprayed them with that shiny paint afterwards correct? Thinking of doing something with my ugly pipes...

Just Mothers "mag and aluminum" polish.

NO sand paper, no steel wool and definitely no paint.

Lots of laying on floor and polishing. Once the heavy stuff is off, its quite a bit easier to maintain.

And no, they weren't always that way. The PO (my friends kids first bike) NEVER washed the bike in two years
and wrecked it several times.

Here's a pic at 4,500 miles when I got it (swapping in new fairing, tank etc)
but you can see the same headers were quite nasty:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC a 13" tall round of wood slides nicely under the header once you place some weight on the seat. Assuming bike is on the centerstand... Slide block under with your foot and you're done.

The job is pretty strait forward!
Do the following on the side stand.
Break the following fasteners free.
Axle pinch bolts
Axle
Brake caliper bolts
4 stanchion pinch bolts at the triples. ** leave lower pinch snug to retain forks.**

Raise nose.
Insert block under header.
Lower bike onto header.

Remove and hang calipers.
Remove axle.
Remove wheel.
Remove fender.

Loosen pinch bolt and drop left fork.
Repeat on right fork.

Clean and inspect eveything!!!
Verify head bearing rotate smooth.

Refill new forks w/ 5 to 7.5wt oil. Set damping rod nut to 11mm when installing caps. Each fork takes roughly 1pint, buy an extra pint to flush out sediment.

Do you have an R6 axle?
Do you have a fender install kit?
Do you have bearing / seal spacer kit?
Did you read the FSM?

Let us know...

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Just Mothers "mag and aluminum" polish.

NO sand paper, no steel wool and definitely no paint.

Lots of laying on floor and polishing. Once the heavy stuff is off, its quite a bit easier to maintain.

And no, they weren't always that way. The PO (my friends kids first bike) NEVER washed the bike in two years
and wrecked it several times.

Here's a pic at 4,500 miles when I got it (swapping in new fairing, tank etc)
but you can see the same headers were quite nasty:

Wow you really improved that bike! The kid before you sounds like a real go getter. Lol! [emoji33]

I love mother's and I've used it on the headers before. Just never been able to get them that good looking! I have a bunch of clay caked on near where they connect to the engine from off roading. I'm not sure if it's possible to get it off without taking the headers off...

Thanks for the info.